Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 03:48 PM

68 posts, read 183,160 times

Advertisements

Well folks, I just got a phone call.....I have just received a job offer from Oahu. It's an administration job with the State, which is my expertise and background. I am almost 50 years old, and I am not very marketable in today's tough job market. So this may be the last career break I'll ever get.

The problem is that the position will be closed in 45 days, after that, it goes to another candidate And my doggies won't be cleared until early December .

CRAP!!! What do I do with my goldens?! They are my "sons." If I was in overwhelm before, this is now in "overdrive!" I could never give them up, they are the love of my life!

I am at a loss for a solution...any ideas will be truly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 03:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,014,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztopo View Post
Well folks, I just got a phone call.....I have just received a job offer from Oahu. It's an administration job with the State, which is my expertise and background. I am almost 50 years old, and I am not very marketable in today's tough job market. So this may be the last career break I'll ever get.

The problem is that the position will be closed in 45 days, after that, it goes to another candidate And my doggies won't be cleared until early December .

CRAP!!! What do I do with my goldens?! They are my "sons." If I was in overwhelm before, this is now in "overdrive!" I could never give them up, they are the love of my life!

I am at a loss for a solution...any ideas will be truly appreciated!
I would check to see if there is a rescue organization in your area that could find a temp home for them. You can always have them shipped over later.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I would check to see if there is a rescue organization in your area that could find a temp home for them. You can always have them shipped over later.

Great idea. I also just came up with another idea as well. These dogs are from a top-notch show-breeder in Seattle. Perhaps she will consider boarding them until my wait period is over.

MAHALO!!!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,461,164 times
Quote:
Great idea. I also just came up with another idea as well. These dogs are from a top-notch show-breeder in Seattle. Perhaps she will consider boarding them until my wait period is over.

MAHALO!!!!!
I was going to say board them, as well.
Sorry for your frustration, I heard people have a hard time with taking their pets over to Hawaii. Keep your head up.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
At least you will be able to move and find a suitable place to live in that takes pets - if you are not going to be buying right away. Boarding does seem like a good option.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,605,098 times
Calm Down!

Options:
1. have a friend or relative continue with the mainland process and ship over when completed.
2. Bring the dogs over early and have them quarantined by the State at their facility until they meet the release requirments.
3. Arrange for private quarantine on Hawaii until they meet the release requirments.
4. Decide if the dogs are really as important as you say and if so, do what's best to bring the dogs over and if the job is still there, it's there. If it's gone, what do you care, since the dogs are your concern.

So, what's the big deal?

Old 07-08-2010, 04:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,586,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Don' get mad at Hawaii. Your vets are pulling your chain. Signed original rabbies vaccination certificates are required for many purposes. If your vet is refusing, you got a bad vet. Report them to the veterinarian board, USDA, and CDC. Our eastern ops is based out of Atlanta airport and original signed rabbies certificates from Georgia vets are provided all the time.
Tell them the CD forum is calling BS on their unwillingness to give you your documentation!

Good luck. You might want to call some vets on Maui to see what private quarantine arrangements they may be aware of.

If I'm a vet on Hawaii, that's definitely a service I'd provide.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:31 PM

820 posts, read 3,023,491 times
Quote:
I am almost 50 years old, and I am not very marketable in today's tough job market. So this may be the last career break I'll ever get.
Jeepers, I hope not. You have a few decades to go, and it would be self-destructive to consider anything your last hope at this time.

Sounds like in subsequent posts you have a possible solution. It might work out better this way anyway. You can come out ahead of your doggies, get settled, figure out how they will fit into your new life here, then have them join you. In the meantime they will be boarded some place you trust. If you did come over all together, you might get overwhelmed in dealing with them and your parents at the same time, plus a new job, figuring out new living routines...

...Yup, this is better. With a new job and income, you can always hop back over to visit them for a long weekend. I'm assuming you are saving some living expenses by co-habitating with your ailing parents. You can put some of the savings into planning a couple of trips - one to visit the doggies, and another just before they arrive, to make sure they are all ready for the trip.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Calm Down!

Options:
1. have a friend or relative continue with the mainland process and ship over when completed.
2. Bring the dogs over early and have them quarantined by the State at their facility until they meet the release requirments.
3. Arrange for private quarantine on Hawaii until they meet the release requirments.
4. Decide if the dogs are really as important as you say and if so, do what's best to bring the dogs over and if the job is still there, it's there. If it's gone, what do you care, since the dogs are your concern.

So, what's the big deal?
Nothing now that you helped me put this into perspective! Many thanks! And I didn't know about any private quarantine options. This indeed brightens the picture.

Yeah, I am panicking, which is very uncharacteristic for me. This also reaffirms that this whole crisis is not as acute as it could be, and there is good reason for being optimistic.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Jeepers, I hope not. You have a few decades to go, and it would be self-destructive to consider anything your last hope at this time.

Sounds like in subsequent posts you have a possible solution. It might work out better this way anyway. You can come out ahead of your doggies, get settled, figure out how they will fit into your new life here, then have them join you. In the meantime they will be boarded some place you trust. If you did come over all together, you might get overwhelmed in dealing with them and your parents at the same time, plus a new job, figuring out new living routines...

...Yup, this is better. With a new job and income, you can always hop back over to visit them for a long weekend. I'm assuming you are saving some living expenses by co-habitating with your ailing parents. You can put some of the savings into planning a couple of trips - one to visit the doggies, and another just before they arrive, to make sure they are all ready for the trip.
Very insightful input. I am now learning how valuable the internet and this website can really be.

No doubt I have been beat down from some recent traumatic events, but it's all about dusting yourself off and getting back into the game. And this may be my cue.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii