U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2007, 05:06 PM

1,375 posts, read 4,256,481 times
Default Identifying What Lava Zone a Property Is In

Lava Flow Hazard Zones on the Island of Hawai`i

This link provides a map of the Big Island as divided into Lava Zones. What is unique on this page is the link at the bottom that lets you access Google Earth, which provides an overlay that identifies the Zones.

Try putting the address of your property in the "Fly To" box, or use the "Directions" box to get directions from the nearest town to your subdivision or street. (Didn't work for all combinations I tried...)

I still recommend verifying the information, but this is a resource that can familiarize you with the Big Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:41 PM

149 posts, read 154,361 times
Aloha
The link in the post above is to the USGS lava zone designations. There are 3 new designations 11, 12 & 13 that indicate whether properties are in current peril.
For a review of all lava zones on Hawaii Island see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lava_Flow_Hazard_Zones

p.s. If you happen upon this thread and are searching for property in Hawaii, be aware that anyone showing you property has a natural tendency to claim there area of Hawaii is the best. Make an informed choice that is best for you. All of Hawaii Islands are different, and each area an island is different.

Before you read any further please allow me to start with a disclaimer that I live on the Big Island of Hawaii in an area called lower Puna. In 1955 it was a good year to come by the area since that is the year Pele worked some magic and created Kehena Beach. it is just a short walk from my home.

I'm often asked why I sleep comfortably at night knowing I'm on the world's most active volcano. My reasons include:

1. I know there is a flow now. That spot is far from my home. Also the fact that there is flow means less pressure within Kilauea and less chance a new flow will start that could effect me.

2. I'm fully insured for lava flow. In fact anyone with a homeowner's policy in Hawaii is fully insured if the lava burns down their house. I consider it an opportunity to rebuild the house on higher ground with a better ocean view. My area of Hawaii is so lush trees already grow high on that 1955 flow.

3. Do I think it would happen within my lifetime. Probably not. Just a short walk from my home are areas that haven't been touched for 100's of years.

4. My personal opinion is what the area gives me in return more than off-sets lava risk.

For that you will need to see and judge for yourself.

Philip Maise
Pahoa Hawaii

Last edited by pbmaise; 06-05-2011 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM

1,760 posts, read 3,521,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Aloha
The link in the post above is to the USGS lava zone designations. There are 3 new designations 11, 12 & 13 that indicate whether properties are in current peril.
For a review of all lava zones on Hawaii Island see:

Lava Flow Hazard Zones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hmm. According to the "edit history" for the Wikipedia article on "Lava Flow Hazard Zones, the three "new" designations didn't exist until May 25, 2011.

While working as a Puna-based loan officer for Wells Fargo might give someone a certain insight into lending practices, it doesn't exactly give that person the right to unilaterally propose amendments to the current USGS "Lava Zone Designation" scheme and act like it's already been adopted for widespread use.

Don't put the "cart before the horse"...

Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM

3,585 posts, read 5,582,592 times
Quote:
2. I'm fully insured for lava flow. In fact anyone with a homeowner's policy in Hawaii is fully insured if the lava burns down their house. I consider it an opportunity to rebuild the house on higher ground with a better ocean view. My area of Hawaii is so lush trees already grow high on that 1955 flow...
Yes, your house is covered by damage by FIRE. However, if your house is surrounded by lava and not destroyed, you are not covered by loss of access to your house. Meaning that, the lava could obliterate all roads and access to your house, making it worthless. The FIRE insurance does not pay for loss of access.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Yes, your house is covered by damage by FIRE. However, if your house is surrounded by lava and not destroyed, you are not covered by loss of access to your house. Meaning that, the lava could obliterate all roads and access to your house, making it worthless. The FIRE insurance does not pay for loss of access.
Maybe he managed to get an insurance policy that explicitly covers "lava flow." If he can develop and promulgate his own lava zone hazard "designations", getting a "lava flow" policy should be pretty simple.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:37 AM

149 posts, read 154,361 times
Aloha,
The troubles and difficulties the real estate community has found itself in by informally adopting a system not intended for its use are real.

As a loan officer that has fought the redlining of Hawaii neighborhoods I'm in a unique position. I know most of the events that led to the redlining and denial of services to the people of Hawaii. I have fought them tooth and nail to the point of finding the specific people in Washington and my own bank's risk management department.

I was also told what was wrong with the current lava zones. This is a plan to fix that wrong. If anyone wants to step forward with an alternate plan please do.

Some may think is all too funny. I recall someone wrote in reply to one of my posts that if someone was having trouble affording insurance...they should leave Hawaii or pay off their mortgage.

How is that any different than someone who reportedly said...If my subjects are starving for lack of bread then they should eat cake.

It has been my honor to get in trouble and standup for my neighbors. Likewise, I've been blessed by real estate agents that referred to me difficult cases in the hope that if anyone could find a way to make it happen...that it would be me. Further, over 97% the loans i provided were fixed rate. Adjustable rates only were given to the wealthy few I knew that could pay it off it rates rose. Not a single pay option arm crossed my desk.

If you haven't figured it out by now..I've been out of the business for a while. During that time the options for my neighbors and friends have become very few and expensive. What I am trying to do now requires a community effort to overcome redlining. I don't even work for anybody right now so it has nothing to do about my own self-interests. However, I certainly will admit it feels good to try and do right by others again and get a warm greeting when people recognize my name.

Oh I'm here selling something and it is big. it is nothing less than the reconfiguration of Hawaii Island, and Maui into new lava zones, and reconfiguration of the entire State of Hawaii's designation as a Wind-Borne Debris Region.

Those of you in reading this from Puna, Kau, and Captain Cook...hold off on that demonstration and hide that contraption under the tarp.

Philip Maise
p.s. My homeowners policy covers for hurricane, lava flow, pyroclastic flow, ash, and if it is cut-off. It is neither HPIA, nor Llyod's of London. It took a lot of looking to find that policy and it costs significantly more.

that if they were having trouble paying insurance to pay off the mortgage. How is that any different than a certain monarch that reportedly suggested that her subjects informed her subjects to eat cake?

of you may find this all too funny. , however, sadly so many I know are directly impacted by what has been occurring.

as I have spoken directly to risk management and

p.s.

If you're an agent, a full explanation of implementation is on the website you will see link materials posted in the users group for your brokers to review at upcoming board meetings.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:14 AM

2,676 posts, read 5,951,635 times
Is there anyplace besides "wikipedia" where this information could be verified? Wikipedia is not generally accepted as true documentation of any information because it's easily edited and changed by just about anyone.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM

3,585 posts, read 5,582,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Is there anyplace besides "wikipedia" where this information could be verified? Wikipedia is not generally accepted as true documentation of any information because it's easily edited and changed by just about anyone.
How true.
Not only that, but apparently Wikipedia is being used (edited) in this case by trying to advance someone's agenda (pbmaise)

Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,990,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
How true.
Not only that, but apparently Wikipedia is being used (edited) in this case by trying to advance someone's agenda (pbmaise)
Someone check the hurricane risk to Hawaii pages, too.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Aloha,
The troubles and difficulties the real estate community has found itself in by informally adopting a system not intended for its use are real.

As a loan officer that has fought the redlining of Hawaii neighborhoods I'm in a unique position. I know most of the events that led to the redlining and denial of services to the people of Hawaii. I have fought them tooth and nail to the point of finding the specific people in Washington and my own bank's risk management department.

I was also told what was wrong with the current lava zones. This is a plan to fix that wrong. If anyone wants to step forward with an alternate plan please do.

Some may think is all too funny. I recall someone wrote in reply to one of my posts that if someone was having trouble affording insurance...they should leave Hawaii or pay off their mortgage.
If you research the history of the "lava zone hazard" maps in Hawai'i, you'll find out that HUD is behind it...
HUD FHA HOC Reference Guide Hazards and Nuisances: Lava Zones
Lava Hazard Zone History

For the most part, the "redlining" of certain neighborhoods in Puna, Ka'u and South Kona existed before the neighborhoods themselves. Hopefully, you're aware of the "subdividing boom" that took place on the Big Island from the 1960s until the mid-1970s. The majority of the subdivisions in Puna, Ka'u and South Kona were "speculative subdivisions." Over 80,000 lots were created on an island that had fewer than 80,000 people. Most of the folks that purchased these lots were outsiders -- some were from O'ahu, but most were from the U.S. Mainland. And, many of them purchased their lots sight unseen. At the time that these "speculative subdivisions" were created, no one thought that folks would be foolish enough to actually build homes on those lots.

Unfortunately, four decades later, these "speculative subdivisions" experienced a "building boom" because of their relative affordability and became one of the fastest-growing parts of the Big Island. So in a way it's quite funny. Local politicians, like Hiram L. Fong, Robert C. Oshiro, George Ariyoshi, Kazuhisa Abe, Nelson K. Doi, Jack K. Suwa, William J. Nobriga, Stanley I. Hara, Robert M. Yamada, Richard Henderson, and countless others "laughed all the way to the bank" as they made small fortunes selling lava fields to unsuspecting folks with dreams of owning a piece of "paradise."

Quote:
Oh I'm here selling something and it is big. it is nothing less than the reconfiguration of Hawaii Island, and Maui into new lava zones, and reconfiguration of the entire State of Hawaii's designation as a Wind-Borne Debris Region.
Considering that you might have to get many of the local politicians on board to accomplish that, I wish you the best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii