U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:01 PM

6 posts, read 4,766 times

Advertisements

OK, so Matson no longer does anything less than a full container (20') so I cannot go with them directly. I am looking for a local company that can provide "liftvan" wooden boxes. Each holds about 200 cubic ft. At least you all have gotten me on the right track. Grateful, I am!!! ;0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,679,034 times
Depending on what island your moving to, PODS, ReloCube, etc are options for smaller loads.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 PM

2,908 posts, read 4,781,037 times
We just moved in June from Colorado. Matson brought the container to our house, and we had the local Mayflower Company load it for us (we had packed the boxes ourselves). They charged $87 per hour for two people, plus the fuel surcharge, etc. I interviewed three local moving companies and hired the one that had the most experience with packing loads being shipped over the ocean and also the one that gave me the most detailed quote. When we got to Hawaii, we hired some locals at $20/hour each to unload.

Definitely recommend using movers to pack the container, although others on this forum have done it themselves. Besides the fact that the container is four feet off the ground, the movers knew how to pack everything in there tight, and they built a bulkhead in the remaining space that we didn't fill. Everything make it here in good shape.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:06 AM

3,755 posts, read 5,881,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutupaki View Post
OK, so Matson no longer does anything less than a full container (20') so I cannot go with them directly. I am looking for a local company that can provide "liftvan" wooden boxes. Each holds about 200 cubic ft. At least you all have gotten me on the right track. Grateful, I am!!! ;0)
Shipping a half full 20 foot container may be near the same cost as the PODS or similar options. Just be very wary of using brokers as you have already been exposed to.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM

1,127 posts, read 3,946,959 times
When we moved from California to Hawaii (20 years ago) we did it without a moving company.

We had Matson deliver a container to our street, packed boxes ourselves, hired individuals to load the furniture and the boxes in the container, had Matson (or maybe a trucker) pick it up. Matson delivered it to the dock in Honolulu, then we hired a trucker to deliver it to our door in Kailua. I think we unpacked it.

Saved about 50% of what a moving company quoted us.

Hank

Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM

468 posts, read 611,893 times
PacificFlights....Just wondering .... have you had any personal experience with ReloCube? We will be moving to Oahu from the East Coast in a couple of months and we are trying to find a more cost effective way of getting our household items over...Been considering USPS, but unless you have something small to fit in that small box that they advertise (if it fits, it ships), it's costly.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:42 PM

683 posts, read 1,790,755 times
I used ABF U-Pack (that's the relo cube folks) from Providence to Honolulu about 2 years ago... a bit more. I had no complaints at all. The containers are SMALL... you're not bringing a household or even an apartment full. Think of it as your essentials plus maybe a few sentimental pieces. But they picked up on time, delivered on time, no hassles, nothing broken (of course that's mostly thanks to the folks who helped us pack the thing).

Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,679,034 times
ditto the above post. The cubes are not big, so you have to be careful what you are bringing. cubic feet to cubic feet, they are just over twice the cost of a container, but if you can fit all your stuff in the crate, the cost would be cheaper than geting a container and paying lower cubic feet cost but paying for 3 times the emty space your not going to fill.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 PM

468 posts, read 611,893 times
Thanks for the info...and clarification on the cube. I appreciate it. It would certainly be helpful if Matson would just let you pack everything possible (within reason) into the vehicle when they ship it. It would save on costs tremendously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii