Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,607,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou De Chat Jaune View Post
I was wondering whether you or anyone else on this thread has any knowledge of this company?
What road, tunnel or bridge are they going to use to drive from California to Hawaii? I mean, think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou De Chat Jaune View Post
I just started looking into the possibility of shipping my car to Hawaii and as I was browsing, I came across another company T.A.S. (Transporter Auto Services). On their website, Hawaii Car Shipping and Hawaii Auto Transport 800-779-3329 they claim to have been shipping automobiles to Hawaii for the past 12 years. I am assuming that this is a genuine transporter and not simply a broker. I was wondering whether you or anyone else on this thread has any knowledge of this company?
Based upon the ports they list, they are probably utilizing Horizon.
They are a broker and make their money off of volume shipping through (most likely in this case) Horizon (aka shipmyvehicle.com)

Old 10-16-2010, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,523 times
Found this site by accident but i love it...havent been here 10 min and lots of info i wasnt aware of, Thanks.
I also plan on moving to Hawaii, and i kinda wanna go by sea. My question is, does anyone know of a company who will ship passengers as well as a vehicle on the same ship?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 PM

92 posts, read 349,801 times
hey Quart,

I don't know where you're shipping your car from.

If you're shipping from the midwest or east coast area to Hawaii, it will cost you at least $2500 to ship your vehicle to Hawaii. You're better off selling your vehicle and buying a new or used vehicle here in Hawaii, if you fit into this scenario.

If you live in Cali or some West Coast state and shipping from there, you will only pay around $1070 to Matson or Horizon to get your vehicle to Honolulu. I think Pasha also does auto shipping to and from the Hawaiian Islands.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:21 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,607,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman1973 View Post
Found this site by accident but i love it...havent been here 10 min and lots of info i wasnt aware of, Thanks.
I also plan on moving to Hawaii, and i kinda wanna go by sea. My question is, does anyone know of a company who will ship passengers as well as a vehicle on the same ship?
Nothing, sorry.

Old 10-23-2010, 01:43 AM

88 posts, read 300,220 times
I shipped my SUV from San Diego to Honolulu via Pasha Hawaii. It was $1074 and the shipping only takes about a week. It left on the 21st from San Diego and will be here on the 26th with an earliest pickup of the 28th.

Pasha Hawaii Transport Lines - Ships Automobile, Vehicle, Car, Motorcycle, Boat, Oversized Cargo to Hawaii

Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM

3 posts, read 16,003 times
HELP! Is there any way we can ship our vehicle (a small SUV) to the Big Island with items packed inside? One shipper's website that we saw said absolutely not.

I understand that unsecured items may "migrate" within a vehicle while at sea. But we would plan to secure things, and assume any risk... Surely somebody would allow items to be transported within a vechile. Has anyone done this?

--What about shipping a vehicle and other items inside a short cargo container? Isn't that still about $1000 from the west coast?

Last edited by rata2e; 11-11-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,574,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rata2e View Post
HELP! Is there any way we can ship our vehicle (a small SUV) to the Big Island with items packed inside? One shipper's website that we saw said absolutely not.

I understand that unsecured items may "migrate" within a vehicle while at sea. But we would plan to secure things, and assume any risk... Surely somebody would allow items to be transported within a vechile. Has anyone done this?

--What about shipping a vehicle and other items inside a short cargo container? Isn't that still about $1000 from the west coast?
Aloha,
The car shippers Matson Pasha do not want any loose items in the car for 2 reasons 1 you stated is the migration during shipping lets say if during transit all your goods shift int the drivers seat then they have to move them just to move your car. Second is you hand your keys to the suv over to them when you ship it they do not lock it to the point they put the key in the door and leave it there. This brings up a little bother to the shippers because your car can be inspected by whoever wants to see whats inside your car so if you leave a 42" plasma tv in the back you might not have it when you receive the suv in Hawaii or it could be your box of personal items that you hide under the backseat then you turn on your computer and find that little video on youtube. And so if you do leave your things in tha suv who is responsable for them the above shippers do not want that responsability.
I shipped 2 cars last year and tried to do the same with just a couple things but to no avail so I paid the seperate shipping costs to get the few things out.
Now to the put your car in side the container option... Yes you can do it but...... Lest say the container costs $1000.00 to ship from Calie to Hawaii ( I think its more but just go with it) you will need to disclose that your putting a car inside its got gas in it they need to know. So you tell them they will charge you $1072.00 surcharge for the car. now it costs $1072.00 to just ship a car but you get to pack whatever you want to inside the car.
Ok so you decide to put your suv in the container this will present a couple of stumbling blocks. 1) How do you get the car inside the container? It comes on a set of wheels and it sitd 4ʻ off the ground with no ramps at all. 2) no you have the car inside How do you secure the car to the floor so when they drive , lift with a crane , and drive the container to your destenation the car doesnʻt end up upside down ontop of all your goods aka Moms dinning table? 3) now that you have your container how do you get the suv out your in a new place and donʻt know where to unload suv?

I tried to figure all this out with 2 cars last year I shipped both cars seperate and shipped a container it all turned out good.

Good luck
Koa

Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,871,452 times
No shippers that I know of allow items shipped in the car, but I haven't looked to see if there are specifically. Things don't migrate inside the vehicle, the migrate away to places outside the vehicle which is why the shippers don't want things in cars. If you have an aftermarket radio in the car, make a note of it on the shipping papers. If you have a new tire on your spare, make a note of it on your paperwork. Take pictures with the daily newspaper in it on the day you drop the car off to prove the date of the pictures. Document everything in your car - even it is "part" of your car. Document the condition of the car.

The only passenger ships to Hawaii are when the cruise lines "reposition" their ships for their seasonal cruising in Hawaii. I think that's once a year you can catch a cruise line from the mainland and get off in Hawaii. They do not take cars along with the passengers but perhaps you could arrange to pick your car up sometime after you got off the cruise ship.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,219,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rata2e View Post

A 20ft container from Long Beach to Honolulu is $5600, plus fuel surcharge. That included door to door drop off of the container, but nothing else.

It cost $1072 to ship a car with Pasha, so you'd be better off shipping the car and using a frieght forwarder for your personal belongings. I assume your not shipping furniture, if it will fit in an SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii