Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 21,403 times

Advertisements

Does one have to wash the underside and every nook and cranny of the car before it is shipped to Hawaii? I am wondering about vermin hitching a ride on it, bringing more invasive pests to the Islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
A basic wash is fine

Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times
If I brought my car for just a year, could I get away without re-licensing in Hawaii (and paying a significant use tax, etc) ? I'm not asking if this is what I am really supposed to do, but if I could likely do it ?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombet View Post
If I brought my car for just a year, could I get away without re-licensing in Hawaii (and paying a significant use tax, etc) ? I'm not asking if this is what I am really supposed to do, but if I could likely do it ?
Each County is slightly different but here's how it works on the Big Island... IF your vehicle has two license plates and will pass a rudimentary safety check and you have current registration and insurance in another state, you can register for an out-of state Permit until your registration expires or 12 months pass, whichever occurs first.

County of Hawaii - Finance - Vehicle Registration General Information Permit

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombet View Post
You could, but I wouldn't.
Unless you are on Oahu, chances are the plates/registration in Hawaii will be cheaper than your present state is. Plus, having out of state plates is a magnet for some of the more undesirable elements... You really will want to try and fit in, ASAP.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
You have to pay the weight tax whether you keep mainland plates or not so it doesn't really matter.

You know, every time I see the title of this post, "has anyone shipped a car to Hawaii" my mind is thinking "why no, we all ride around on burros over here".

Old 07-29-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
You have to pay the weight tax whether you keep mainland plates or not so it doesn't really matter.
No, on the Big Island the Out-of-State permit is $5, on top of the Inspection Fee, which is $15. That's the big attraction, that it's cheap, and that it allows one to run out their current registration before registering in Hawai'i. But as mdand3boys points out, the other edge of the sword is that out-of-state plates attract attention... perhaps the wrong kind.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There isn't a weight sticker? On Oahu you can get a ticket if you don't have the sticker on your car if you have out of state plates. Of course, we aren't Oahu and I've not tried driving a car with out of state plates. Oahu plates is bad enough.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There isn't a weight sticker? On Oahu you can get a ticket if you don't have the sticker on your car if you have out of state plates. Of course, we aren't Oahu and I've not tried driving a car with out of state plates. Oahu plates is bad enough.
This is another one of those ways that Hawai'i is different from other states... motor vehicle rules vary by county because they each have their own version of a DMV with different rules...

In Hawai'i County (the Big Island) you only need the safety inspection, and OOS permit, and they give you a bumper sticker. In Honolulu County (Oahu), though, it's gonna cost ya! Unless you are military...

Quote:
Hawaii residents on active duty and members of the National Guard and Reserve and who are assigned to units located in Hawaii are exempt from motor vehicle weight taxes for one vehicle registered in their name. You must submit a properly completed Hawaii Resident Certificate, Form CS-L (MVR)50A, for each registration, renewal or transfer transaction. Motor Vehicle Information, Official Web Site for The City and County of Honolulu
Maui is more like Hawai'i, except their fee is $10 for an Out-Of-State Permit, and you need to present not only the Blue Temporary Inspection certificate, and your current insurance card and current registration, but also your Bill of Lading for the car's arrival on Maui. You have 30 days after that arrival date to apply, and the 12 month maximum (less if your current reg is less) permit begins as of the date of arrival.
Maui County, HI - Official Website - Out of State Permit

Kauai? Who knows? Their official website indicates a similar application process to Maui's, but includes this cryptic notation...

Quote:
Vehicle registration personnel will determine the required fees.
Kauai County Motor Vehicle Registration
Welcome to Hawai'i!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM

Oh, yeah... one more thing... if you move from county to county within the state, you have to change your registration, not just change your address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii