U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:04 PM

55 posts, read 398,549 times
Red face Has Anyone Shipped a Car to Hawaii?

Hello! I plan on moving to Hawaii in July and I am going to need a car. I am considering shipping my car over (for around $1000, money I would lose anyway if I sold my car and bought another in Hawaii) but I have heard that Hawaii charges A LOT for taxes when you bring over a car. Has anyone done this? Are taxes that much? I don't know much about this, what I would even really be taxed for, etc...... but would it be worth it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 05:47 PM

46 posts, read 811,322 times
Default Check out another post of mine...

It talks all about my experience with shipping a car...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ving-maui.html

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,362,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartB View Post
Hello! I plan on moving to Hawaii in July and I am going to need a car. I am considering shipping my car over (for around $1000, money I would lose anyway if I sold my car and bought another in Hawaii) but I have heard that Hawaii charges A LOT for taxes when you bring over a car. Has anyone done this? Are taxes that much? I don't know much about this, what I would even really be taxed for, etc...... but would it be worth it? Thanks!
In brief, if you've owned your car for more than 90 days and paid a sales tax or general excise tax on it that's more than 4.166% at the time of purchase, you probably won't have to pay any additional taxes if you ship it to Hawai'i. Otherwise, it may be subject to a "use tax" that is equivalent to 4% of its "landed value."

I've shipped several vehicles from California (where I paid sales taxes ranging from 7.75% to 8.25%) to Hawai'i and I've never had to pay any additional taxes in Hawai'i. Unless your car is worth less than $1000, it's probably worthwhile to ship it to Hawai'i.

Here's a link to a brouchure by the State of Hawai'i about the "use tax"...
http://www.state.hi.us/tax/brochures/use_bro.pdf

Here's a link to an article that gives some examples on "use tax" liability...
http://starbulletin.com/2003/04/20/news/kokualine.html

Hope this helps,

Jonah K

Old 06-26-2007, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 396,128 times
Default hey lovin maui!!

Hi,
Just read your post about your experience and I thought it was wonderful and very positive
I have one question as I will be moving back to Honolulu area in a couple years
How did you ship 4 pallets? Cargo freight on an airline?
What was your experience with them/who did you use etc...

Any info on this subject would be really helpful
Glad you made an easy transition--hope ours is similar!!
Aloha for your insight!!

Thornpicker

Old 06-26-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Shipping...

It was cargo freight, a company called Estes Express Lines... Estes Express Lines

We had a very good experience with them. Our pallets arrived in about 3 weeks with absolutely no damage. We had the pallets filled with dishes, glassware, picture frames, etc... and not one thing was broken. The reason we picked Estes was because I worked for a company on the mainland that shipped a lot of glassware and they used them for everything with rarely any problems. In fact we shipped the pallets from my work as Estes picked up there all the time with no charge. It will probably cost a little more to have the pallets picked up from your home as they would have to make a special trip. I would give them a call and ask. Good luck, hope that helps!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM

28 posts, read 396,128 times
where did you move from?
We are moving from Arizona but could deliver the goods to California as I will be shipping my truck as well via Matson or somebody...

Of all the time I've spent in Hawaii over the past 15 years I finally went to Maui for the first time just last month!
Fantastic place, but I still long for Oahu--the North Shore can't be beat!!

mahalo once again for your help!
So many questions...so much planning...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 PM

120 posts, read 806,572 times
If your gonna ship a car I would suggest Horizon. www.shipmyvehicle.com They ship cars in a closed container. Matson does not. Your car sits in the elements for 3-4 weeks.

I have shipped 3 classic cars to Maui and I would only use Horizon. They are the same price as matson btw.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post
If your gonna ship a car I would suggest Horizon. www.shipmyvehicle.com They ship cars in a closed container. Matson does not. Your car sits in the elements for 3-4 weeks.

I have shipped 3 classic cars to Maui and I would only use Horizon. They are the same price as matson btw.
You hit the nail on the head with that one... my car arrived rusted!! I would never use Matson again. They also left all the lights on in my car and killed the battery..

Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 PM

Location: Honolulu, Hawaii 14 1/2yrs. Raised & 7yrs. *Just moved back to mainland the Arizona area wrong area
35 posts, read 263,178 times
Aloha QuartB,
I've shipped a small vehical from Southern Calif. to Honolulu, Hawaii abt. 5yrs. ago. Through Matson it now runs abt. $1,000 before it was under a thousand... There is one other company that ships to Honolulu ?CSX or ?sea land something like that... I only know of two that go to Honolulu that are resonable/affordable.
Keep you're car if it's farely new even if it's paid off... I thought of selling my old car and getting a used one here on the islands-DON'T there disgusting and foul I don't know what they do to there used cars here maybe it's the salt air and weather humidity... If you're staying temporarily for x-amount of years just ship you own car
I'm now trying to export myself off the islands after 6yrs, medical and career and sanity for a peace of mind which I need takes me off the islands.. Islands aren't for me anymore still way to backwards for me and I can't live like that. I don't want to waste my tax dollars on there useless and abusive and wasteful time... I'm leaving my old car and getting a new life...
Good luck you'll need it... Like I said I used Matson maybe google it for better rates and shipping companies or freight companies that are looking to fill there car quota you might get a better price and depends where your outbound is Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle etc.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 184,810 times
Default pasha

try pasha at Pasha Hawaii Transport Lines - Home

have reasonable rates as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii