Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,839,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
On cold nights, they used to crawl into my bed to keep warm, and I would roll over and crush them in my sleep.
Must be the mainland variety - here in Hawaii, you roll on them during your sleep to just keep them warm - and pissed off.

Last edited by whtviper1; 10-08-2014 at 01:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:13 AM

308 posts, read 408,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
She goes nuts when there is a stupid B-52 in the bathroom (but she's actually getting a little more used to them, I think - they haven't been around as much since it's been raining less, I think they come in to get out of the rain).

I sincerely hope that I never have a centipede on me. I would freak out. And I'm pretty tolerant of most kinds of creepy-crawlies (heck, I used to have a pet boa constrictor, and I usually try to capture the B-52s and gently carry them outside). But those 'pedes look like their bites would REALLY hurt!
Hi. I am new, here, and have never been to Hawaii (although I came w/in 2 months of being born there when my father was stationed in the army on Oahu--he was discharged when my mom was 7 months pregnant with me, and they went back to Oregon, where I WAS born). I have never heard of a creature called a "B-52". I've only heard of bomber planes with that name. Could you please tell me what a "B-52" is?

Thank you.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,839,328 times
A B52 is a large flying cockroach.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A B52 is a large flying cockroach.
Oh. YUK. How "large" is large? Even the little guys I've seen while visiting in California creep me out (I know we must have them here in Oregon, but I've never seen one here, believe it or not--and I was born, raised, and still reside here).

I suppose that, should we ever decide to move to HI, those are something else creepy and crawly that we'd have to get used to.... :-)

Old 02-21-2015, 02:04 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,293,366 times
They get bigger.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:05 PM

268 posts, read 381,017 times
... and bigger...
Attached Thumbnails
The Dreaded Centipede of Hawai'i - Run for your lives!-image.jpg  

Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
... and bigger...
Now, THAT'S impressive!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
They get bigger.
Lovely. I can tell already that I'm gonna make millions by encasing those buggers in resin and selling them as keychains and necklaces here on the mainland if we move over there and I have to live amongst those monsters. Finally, my arts/crafts projects are going to pay off for me ! And kitty treats! Yeah! My daughter's "nekkid kitty" (a Sphynx cat) would love some nice freeze dried cockroach coated with catnip as a treat, I'm thinkin' :-).

Old 02-21-2015, 09:46 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,293,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
Lovely. I can tell already that I'm gonna make millions by encasing those buggers in resin and selling them as keychains and necklaces here on the mainland if we move over there and I have to live amongst those monsters. Finally, my arts/crafts projects are going to pay off for me ! And kitty treats! Yeah! My daughter's "nekkid kitty" (a Sphynx cat) would love some nice freeze dried cockroach coated with catnip as a treat, I'm thinkin' :-).
Moved to Maui in '89. My first week or two I stayed at The Pioneer Inn in Lahaina because it was the cheapest (by far) place to stay by the week. My room was right over the bar which has live bands most every night and I learned quickly if I wanted to keep the critters out of my food I needed to double bag it and hang it from a string on the ceiling fan. Also had to chase more than 100 cockroaches back down the drain to take a shower every morning. Fun times!

Old 02-21-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Moved to Maui in '89. My first week or two I stayed at The Pioneer Inn in Lahaina because it was the cheapest (by far) place to stay by the week. My room was right over the bar which has live bands most every night and I learned quickly if I wanted to keep the critters out of my food I needed to double bag it and hang it from a string on the ceiling fan. Also had to chase more than 100 cockroaches back down the drain to take a shower every morning. Fun times!
LOL! Not quite MY idea of "fun times", but I certainly got a kick out of reading about yours :-).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii