Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 02:15 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,219,478 times

Advertisements

Ok, you're right. Not.

Sex-Based Discrimination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 05:14 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,294,737 times
Models, actresses, spokeswomen, counselor for victimized women...? All jobs that are legal to only hire women for.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 21,341 times
Hurray, sweetbeet! Great post! That's the right attitude to have.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 PM

40 posts, read 125,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Not illegal.
Gender discrimination is only legal if a member of the opposite sex CAN NOT OR HAVE NEVER BEEN able to to the job.

For example. The towel monitor in a womens / mens locker room. Must be of the same sex.
Exceptions are made for things like actors in a play or a race based theme restaurant.

However, Hooters inc Was sued for multi millons of dollars and lost because they refused to hire male waiters. Hooters claimed excemption baised on gender.... Didn't fly with a jury.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,315 times
I lived in Hawaii for a number of years. I found that the issue was not so much race but "local" versus "non-local". There was great pride in being local and many mainland migrants essentially wanted to be accepted by locals and even to be "local".

I saw people who came, married locals, and fit in very well. Others, no matter how much they smiled or tried to be nice, just were not accepted. Some haole migrants were really arrogant and it is easy to understand why they had problems. It was a mixed bag from what I observed.

Some of your negative behaviors or tendencies will, as on the mainland, cause you trouble. Other behaviors that were acceptable on the mainland may clash with local culture. For example, I am an athletic person of some stature and I am often told that I have an unassuming manner. These traits helped me to make local friends. On the other hand, on the mainland, no matter how big I got from lifting weights, my non-aggressive demeanor often caused me to be a lightning rod for angry people. I did not escape this in Hawaii and I could fill up this space with stories that would make people cringe. At the same time, I could also add stories of friendship that would make people want to head out on the next plane to Hawaii.

Although I am Italian and thus now considered "white," our family in the South as late as the 1960s was subjected to Jim Crow laws for being "colored". Nothing this drastic ever happened to me in Hawaii. As a haole, I had some bad experiences with mainland haoles living there. But other haoles became my friends. Some people in Hawaii, knowing nothing about my family background, simply assumed that I was a haole who had life "made in the shade," and that I never would have experienced racism, prejudice, and discrimination.

It is naive to think that as a mainland haole, you'll move to Hawaii and everybody will be nice or instantly accept you. It could happen, but do not be overly disappointed if it does not. There will be mean people and there will be kind, tolerant people. If you move to Texas or LA or to NY you'll find the same. The culture in Hawaii is different from those of mainland regions, so you will have to adjust accordingly to your best ability. This takes time. You also will have to slowly form local friendships, perhaps by sports activities, hobbies, charitable work, or through churches. If you are a mainland haole, you likely benefitted in many ways from "white privilege" without really realizing it. Despite our rocky experiences in the South, I did. When this is absent, it can very much feel as if people are anti-haole. Yet, this can lead to a growth experience and if you return to the mainland, you will have gained a valuable insight on what it is like to be a "minority".

One person advised simply to move to Florida. But then you read about people who are disgusted with Floridians, complaining that they are rude. I have read similar complaints about aloof Californians or unsociable Arizonans. Indeed, when I lived in Phoenix, I clashed mainly with transplants from the Midwest, a region often praised for its friendly people. I found most of them to be really grouchy, but they probably perceived me as annoyingly friendly. I got along much better with Hispanics in Phoenix.

My point is that in Hawaii, everything negative in humanity does not simply evaporate in the beautiful sunshine.
I am not sure if this is helpful, but it summarizes my experiences.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,274,821 times
A couple things I'd point out in response...

1) This is an old thread, a couple of years old, in case you missed the date in the corner. The same topic has been thrashed out here several times.

2) Haole does not mean "white," in its original and most authentic sense. It means "outsider," literally not of Hawaiian ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii