Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM

4 posts, read 12,066 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Seattle area, and I am terrified! Both of us are from Hawaii, and have lived here most of our lives, but it is so difficult to establish ourselves as a young family, which is our primary motivation to move.

I have a wonderful job, which is not comparable in any other location of the US, but my husband is in the labor industry and has been laid off three times in the past two years.

I know the move will be a positive step in the right direction for us, but I am scared to leave and be miserable somewhere else, especially with the cost of moving so far- coming back to hawaii quickly would not be an option.

Can anyone with a similar story provide me with any positive feedback/information/encouragement??

Mahalo Nui!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 17,944 times
Good luck. I do not have any advice... but it will definitely be a change.

We just moved from a mainland city (Dallas) and the change was pretty drastic for our family. The pace is very different than what you're probably used to.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:43 PM

369 posts, read 776,943 times
Sadly amama I can't offer any advice, but please keep me posted on your situation. It's truly a sad thing for local families to leave the islands, but i think i may join the ranks with you in a few. How did you land on seattle? Friends/family/opportunities?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
There is a fairly large Pacific Islander community in Seattle, Samoan, Hawaiian, etc. They can ease your transition and become your Seattle ohana, I'd look for them on the web. It will definitely be a different experience living in Seattle, but it's an accepting, tolerant culture up here. Becoming acclimated to the differences in daylight from winter to summer is a big challenge for newcomers. Best of luck and I hope you can return to the Islands some day, if that's your heart's desire.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I don't have any personal info, but I have had quite a few friends that are born and raised here on Kauai and have since moved. While my friends can get homesick, I think it is important to know that Hawaii will be here waiting for you. It is always good to experience different things in your life and even if you come to realize that you want to move back, at least you will have experienced something new.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:25 PM

117 posts, read 545,367 times
no question, it will be difficult, especially being away from your support system(family/friends). And i hear the cost of living in seattle is about the same as here on oahu

Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
There is a fairly large Pacific Islander community in Seattle, Samoan, Hawaiian, etc. They can ease your transition and become your Seattle ohana, I'd look for them on the web. It will definitely be a different experience living in Seattle, but it's an accepting, tolerant culture up here. Becoming acclimated to the differences in daylight from winter to summer is a big challenge for newcomers. Best of luck and I hope you can return to the Islands some day, if that's your heart's desire.
I grew up on Oahu, and now live in Seattle. everything that AlohaH said is true. Large Samoan and Hawaiian population, but getting used to the weather, is another story. I never got used to it. I have been here 6 years, prior to that I lived in Denver, and never got used to the cold, and the fact that there is NO WATER!!! Seattle has water, and depending on where in the area you end up, you can see it, while driving around. But you can't swim in it, unless you like swiming in cold waters. Each person is differnt, you might take right to it. I am still having a hard time being in the mainland period, and it has been years and years. That is why I HAVE to go back to HI every year, to get my sanity back!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM

42 posts, read 103,364 times
You might be surprised as what you can do when you are determined. However, before you leave Hawaii I would caution you to take every measure to be sure it is the right move for you.

You say you have a good job, are you going to be able to get a job you love that much in Seattle? Does your husband have work lined up already in Seattle? I would imagine labourers on the mainland are struggling as much as those in Hawaii. Would it be possible for him to retrain into another field that would allow you to stay on the Islands?

Good luck with your decision, I hope it works out for you.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:47 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,443,209 times
Seattle is a great for a young couple with a small kids

Old 09-16-2010, 09:50 PM

81 posts, read 208,888 times
Im on my way to Ft Worth with wife and kids, our biggest concern is how to get our household goods over and what to do with the house when we leave. My coworker just moved to Cali and used the pods.com thing, I might go that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: