Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:18 AM

25 posts, read 59,236 times

Advertisements

For what it's worth:

I grew up in Oklahoma where tattoo shops were illegal until a few years ago, so of course many people I've known all my life have gone completely bonkers for tattoos.

What I've seen, that I think is relevant to you and relates to what others are saying, is that the artists are quite willing to work with you to do custom designs. I don't have any ink, but have always felt that if I were going to do it I'd put a lot of thought and 'me' into a design. Why pick something generic out of a book that hundreds (or more!) of other people could also be running around with?

This guy had the skillset and opportunity to go nuts and plan his out on a 3D scan of himself, but the point is that he went for a sleeve that meant a lot to him and who he is. http://features.cgsociety.org/newgal...3885_large.jpg

He did get the tattoo, i just didn't feel up to searching the forums again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
It's a good thing his tattoo is meaningful to himself, the rest of us may not be able to make heads or tails out of it. I think there's some sort of dragon? I think I see scales and Chinese dragon mouth tendrils as well as some stylized Asian clouds. There's some flowers - plumeria? - too, maybe. Anyway, it's not a clear design as far as seeing what it is. That is frequently the case with folks who get things written on them when they use all Old English capitol letters. You can tell something is written, but you can't make out what it is. I'm not sure if that's the intent or not.

I just bought a tattoo set yesterday and I'm even thinking of selling tattoos for $5 each. This tattoo set is for putting numbers in rabbit ears, though, so the designs are extremely limited but I think there might be some "clients" out there other than my own rabbits.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:43 AM

25 posts, read 59,236 times
@hotzcatz Concept artists are an interesting lot, for sure - and they're fun to work with! He had a post with the flattened tattoo design and it wasn't much clearer seeing it that way. Too much for me to even contemplate.

So, umm, about the rabbits - would you do that for your breeding stock to help keep track of things? Growing up we just bought kits and raised them until they were big enough to eat. Our neighbors bred them, but I was too young to pay attention to any sort of organization. Just curious!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
1st post.
Name with racial implication.
Reviving a long dead thread for no good reason.
Throwing racism into the post it right off the bat.

In my book it spells:Troll.
Can't you just ignore him? Or, add him to your list as you recommend in your thread below.

Easy to use "Ignore Feature"

Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Can't you just ignore him? Or, add him to your list as you recommend in your thread below.

...or report it to mods using the little icon in the corner, but so far I haven't ever seen that work in this forum sadly (it works elsewhere on CD just fine).

Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Oh..... It can have the desired affect. It has been calmer than usual lately.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang405 View Post
I really like the poly style half sleeve tattoos. I want to get one while I am there for vacation. I am dark but do not look like a local. Will I get beat down for this ? Why is it ok for americans to get japanese style tattoos or chinese symbols but Hawaiians think only locals can get poly tattoos ?
Well, actually a white person can do whatever they want in a predominately white environment. They just look 'funnier' when they do that in places that aren't predominately white.

Since I've lived over here in Japan and Korea for many years. White people sporting Japanese or Chinese character tattoos are looked at oddly. Usually the meaning of the words are far deeper, and sometimes flat out wrong. It's kind of like when you see Japanese or Korean people with their 'Japlish' or 'Konglish' t-shirts filled with non-sense and bad spelling.

I would also think the white guy with the poly tattoo is probably going to get it entirely 'wrong' and come across that way as well.

I think the equivalent would be the white guy all jacked up in rap attire and rap albums, who drives from the suburb into a crack-infested crack-dealing corner of black guys hanging out on a stoop at 2am, and tries to kick it back with his first-time met 'homeys'.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post

The ignore list is handy for sure!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
CC, looks like the mods took care of the troll but left your post as an orphan!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
HiloDiver, my post was orphaned, so deleted. But it will remain on the thread as a "quote". Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii