Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:21 AM

4 posts, read 10,596 times

Advertisements

Hey there
Have decided that i really would like to move to hawaii. i 19 and am taking a year off before college.
I'm having trouble narrowing it down to where and which island i want to live on. i'm arriving with 5,000 dollars and planning to find a roomate and live there off of my money till i find a regular job.

I know i want-
Beautiful beaches(some crowded and some secluded)
Great city life but lots and lots of locals.
I grew up with alot of white people, i'd like a change for a while. so i want to be in the heart of Hawaiian territory x)
I dont really party alot so that doesn't really mater much to me.
I would like to live by the beach but also be able to hike once in awhile.
I really want to learn how to surf, hang out with locals, and just live a laid back life style not to far from city (1-2 hoursaway)
Kind of like the blue crush movie lol

Not to be boastful of prideful but if i'm a normally tan and considered really pretty, will the locals be nicer to me? and not be racist as much but more accepting? (men?)

Please help me out, i'm clueless. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,992,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206Dia View Post
Hey there
Have decided that i really would like to move to hawaii. i 19 and am taking a year off before college.
I'm having trouble narrowing it down to where and which island i want to live on. i'm arriving with 5,000 dollars and planning to find a roomate and live there off of my money till i find a regular job.

I know i want-
Beautiful beaches(some crowded and some secluded)
Great city life but lots and lots of locals.
I grew up with alot of white people, i'd like a change for a while. so i want to be in the heart of Hawaiian territory x)
I dont really party alot so that doesn't really mater much to me.
I would like to live by the beach but also be able to hike once in awhile.
I really want to learn how to surf, hang out with locals, and just live a laid back life style not to far from city (1-2 hoursaway)

Not to be boastful of prideful but if i'm a normally tan and considered really pretty, will the locals be nicer to me? and not be racist as much but more accepting? (men?)

Honolulu is the only city. So, looks like Oahu.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:45 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,295,326 times
Miami?

and
Quote:
hahaha. I'm hoping my experience living in Hawaii will be just like Lilo & Stitch, let's cross our fingers for each other, k?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM

53 posts, read 196,945 times
Are you planning to stay long term or just a couple of months? I think you'll end up having to spend at least $700 just for yourself renting with someone else near the city, unless you want to get squished in a 1 bd hole in a not as safe area. What kind of job do you plan to do? Honestly, it will be difficult to make the rent and still afford a decent living on a lower income job that doesn't require a college degree. You might be lucky to get something that pays $9/hr working full time for a total of about $1200/month with taxes taken out. More than half of your salary will already be going to your rent with about $500 to spend in one of the most expensive places in the country. Do you plan to get a car or take the bus to most places? The bus has quite a few routes but is really not so convenient with so much traffic in Honolulu and a car is going to cost you a lot of money too.

If you're staying for just a few months for an extended vacation, it might be doable with your savings, however, don't assume it's going to be just fun and games as long as you're here. A lot of local families struggle to make ends meet working in jobs that don't require a degree which is why we have so many multi-generational families living together in one home, and homelessness.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,883,505 times
Well, you could live 1-2 hours away from the city anywhere in the state if you were willing to pay for airfare to get there. Airfare is generally somewhere around $150 round trip, it changes but $150 is a rough estimate. If you could afford that then you could live on the more affordable neighbor islands. Jobs are going to be a problem at this time but it doesn't sound like you will be needed an expensive place to live since it's just you.

Oahu has more job opportunities, lots of beaches and the best public transportation. Since you probably won't have enough income to support a car, it would be best to be somewhere with good public transportation. Oahu is a LOT more crowded, but perhaps you could find an apartment to share in Kailua or Hawaii Kai on Oahu.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:33 PM

182 posts, read 705,662 times
Wouldn't a Hawaii Kai apartment (ARE there apartments there or did you mean a condo rental?) be even more expensive area of Oahu given his modest budget, even with a roomate putting in half the rent?

I mean $5K won't last long in the Kai, and when it's gone, and he's working a lower-paying job (or even 2 of them) maybe he'd still need 2-3 roomates in $$ Hawaii Kai?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 PM

682 posts, read 2,786,889 times
If you only need to be 1-2 hours from a city, I'd suggest North Shore of Oahu. You get the local culture (depending on where exactly in the North Shore you go, but it's nearby). Surf culture and beautiful beaches, for sure. Cheaper living (though maybe harder to find a job, depending on what you are willing to do for work). And you can get to Honolulu on the bus in an hour or so.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:14 PM

820 posts, read 3,025,052 times
Quote:

At 19, being pretty is helpful ANYWHERE, not just Hawaii. Tan isn't in itself helpful, unless you are maybe trying to indicate you didn't just get off the plane. But chances are other things will give that away.

Glad you specified that you want the MEN to be the ones that are nicer to you, that goes along with being 19 and pretty. Again, as anywhere, men will be nicer to girls who are young and pretty, especially to someone who thinks that is super important. Women - younger ones may not be nicer to someone young and pretty and makes a big deal of it, but that is also true everywhere. Older ones will maybe roll their eyes behind your back, or smile patiently.

Then again, you didn't say you are female.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,883,505 times
Cloudcroft, in Hawaii Kai, there is likely to be a whole pile of room mates, not just a house split between two people. Sometimes there are houses shared by six to ten folks in order to afford the rent. Occasionally, they will be true room mates where you split a room with someone and not just house mates. I knew of one where there were four girls sleeping in each room to be able to afford the rent, it was more densely populated than most dormitories. Since she will be moving over without any friends or relatives, having a house full of other folks will instantly fill in some of those gaps. Hawaii Kai is also very forgiving of imports as is Kailua and as mentioned, North Shore, too.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 31,556 times
Default Miami? Heat?.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Miami?

and

hahaha. I'm hoping my experience living in Hawaii will be just like Lilo & Stitch, let's cross our fingers for each other, k?
Miami? Heat?.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii