Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM

90 posts, read 277,889 times

Advertisements

We've been contacted by ABC - Primetime television network, they want to do a reality show episode of a family that lives in a yurt in Hawaii, living "the simple life" as they put it. They are asking about interested parties who have at least one child between the ages of 6 and 17 and are married. The show, some may have heard of it, is called "WifeSwap". The concept is that two people from very different situations swap lives for a week (not husbands in the 'biblical' sense...). They are offering 20k to the couple they choose, background checks are a must. It sounds pretty fun to me, but I'm not married and have no kids! Let me know if you know anyone who is interested or might be a good candidate!
PS, Going through all these threads on here... this is a wellspring of truly great information! What a great source and wonderful arena to show aloha~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,736 times
Default Looking for business partner for yurt camp

Hi guys
I"m looking for business partner who can make YURT CAMP business
I have 15 mongolian hand made orignal Yurt(deameter 6meter Ger)
And one large yurts for restourant .
I have experience Mongolian food service and other service for tour.
Partner must have nice area for build camp and some investment shipping cost security deposite.
Contract 5 +years
If want to buy all -180.000$ obo
My email adress [email]mongolianexus@gmail.com[/email]

Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,787,864 times
So in other words, you have 15 Yurts for sale for $180,000? Is this subject to the forum rule of no selling in a regular forum?
Quote:
Free classified ads are available: http://www.city-data.com/forum/classified-ads/. They are only to be used by individuals, no commercial firms. No ads of any sort in other forums.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 AM

834 posts, read 1,207,745 times
The folks I know who live in those yurts here in Hawai'i are doing it without proper building permits by the county. They wouldn't want the exposure on TV to get the building department onto their case.

But get back to the producers and suggest the Onion House, a secret gem of architecture on the Kona coast.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
The original post was in 2007, so did anyone ever see the show? Was it ever made? They didn't need a yurt family, there are loads of folks living "the simple life" off grid in Hawaii. Hey, maybe next time they will swap a Beverly Hills family with a Puna wwoofer family.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
The folks I know who live in those yurts here in Hawai'i are doing it without proper building permits by the county. They wouldn't want the exposure on TV to get the building department onto their case.
That was a post from 2007, but nemmind. The one near my place is fully permitted.

I've talked to Yurt Girl in person a couple of times, and she's straight up and completely knowledgeable and experienced with building yurts with full permits.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,454,353 times
Yes, there are some permitted ones, however, a yurt is simply a large, glorified tent and not suitable for the rainy, damp, moldy areas of the island. In my opinion, you may as well just put up some blue tarps.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Yes, there are some permitted ones, however, a yurt is simply a large, glorified tent
If that were the case you wouldn't be able to get a building permit for them, but you can. There is a lot of sophisticated engineering and high quality materials in a modern yurt.

Quote:
and not suitable for the rainy, damp, moldy areas of the island.
My neighbors are in a damp, moldy area of the island and they are doing just fine after many years. The ventilation in a good yurt is actually superior to a typical frame construction house. The ingenious design allows changing the cross-flow inside in just minutes, and the skylight/vent at the peak allows for rapid air change when you want it.

Quote:
In my opinion, you may as well just put up some blue tarps.
Opinion is one thing, experience is another. From the sidelines a yurt may not look like much, but today's designs actually use multi-layer space-age materials that are a universe away from a blue tarp. They shrug off earthquakes, and can withstand hurricane force storms.

They're not for everybody, clearly, but they are an entirely credible... and legal... form of residence structure.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:00 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,787,864 times
I've been to a Yurt home in Hawaii, from the outside it looked like a simple large dome dwelling. But although plain looking from the outside ("clean and lean"), the inside was amazing in how nice and functional it was. For example, the kitchen was space conserving but still had beautiful cabinets. Actually, the whole interior was very nice.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,174,145 times
This is so interesting. But wouldn't a yurt be easy to break into? Aren't they canvas of some sort? I suppose the same thing a tent is, but I don't think I could rest easy enough to fall asleep in, and live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii