U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-28-2010, 04:54 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,554,483 times

Advertisements

I just got a call from a friend in Seattle that asked me to pick up some mac nuts and Da Kine meat rub and mail it to her. She said she'd gone onto the ABC stores website and it was going to cost her $15 per items to ship!
Guess the shipping robbery flows both directions across the pacific.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 04:59 PM

84 posts, read 88,027 times
Jolie, that could be a good business opportunity by doing the shipping logistical thingy!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM

820 posts, read 1,819,936 times
We order a lot from Amazon, and look for those items that have Free Super Saver Shipping. In the checkout process, Amazon usually lists a date further out for Super Saver, and suggests we pay shipping in order to get the order sooner. But if you go ahead and select Super Saver, the item seems to ship within a few days anyway. Super Saving Shipping is always either by 2Day or by USPS Priority, never yet by the longer parcel post.

Right now Amazon and the post office are delivering incredibly fast, I think in anticipation of getting items to you before the holidays. An Amazon order that was supposed to ship in 7-10 days went out in 2, and arrived in 2. An associate shipped a box by Priority from California, and that only took 2 days, when at other times of the year it takes 4.

Kudos to both services for adding resources to make sure everything is going out quickly.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:01 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,740,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
We order a lot from Amazon, and look for those items that have Free Super Saver Shipping. In the checkout process, Amazon usually lists a date further out for Super Saver, and suggests we pay shipping in order to get the order sooner. But if you go ahead and select Super Saver, the item seems to ship within a few days anyway. Super Saving Shipping is always either by 2Day or by USPS Priority, never yet by the longer parcel post.

Right now Amazon and the post office are delivering incredibly fast, I think in anticipation of getting items to you before the holidays. An Amazon order that was supposed to ship in 7-10 days went out in 2, and arrived in 2. An associate shipped a box by Priority from California, and that only took 2 days, when at other times of the year it takes 4.

Kudos to both services for adding resources to make sure everything is going out quickly.
but have you tried to order food that can goods or boxs and get told they can not ship food stuff outside the mainland ..

Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,554,483 times
Default Bed, Bath & Beyond

I just ordered a set of bedding and miraculously the "Free shipping" included Hawaii! You had to spend $100 and its standard shipping...but still! Yippee! Plus the added bonus (if you live on Oahu) is that you can return items purchased online at the retail store.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM

683 posts, read 1,790,136 times
Oh, and I wish I could remember what site this was... but about a year ago I was trying to buy something online to ship to my mom (on the mainland). The site refused to process my order because my credit card billing address was in Hawaii. I wasn't even shipping it here! I had to call and spend about 1/2 hour on the phone explaining that it wasn't shipping here and that the billing address shouldn't matter. I was told that their site always has trouble with credit cards from "foreign countries." Um....

Old 11-29-2010, 09:13 PM

820 posts, read 1,819,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
but have you tried to order food that can goods or boxs and get told they can not ship food stuff outside the mainland ..
I can't remember ever ordering canned goods from Amazon... is that what you mean? I have ordered food items from other places and had it shipped, not a problem, it just depends on what it is and then by company.

There are some items you cannot order and have shipped here by air. This includes things like compressed CO2 cartridges, like the ones used to make carbonated water. Some chemicals too. This I understand because there is either a danger or restriction to putting this kind of item on a flight, where a leak or damage could cause a big problem.

Not all companies are set up to ship via USPS, so they don't offer parcel post or other via-ocean shipping. And some online companies are just pass-throughs. They don't really have a warehouse of what you see online, they just pass your order through to the manufacturer, who may not offer shipping beyond UPS or FedEx.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:34 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,740,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
I can't remember ever ordering canned goods from Amazon... is that what you mean? I have ordered food items from other places and had it shipped, not a problem, it just depends on what it is and then by company.

There are some items you cannot order and have shipped here by air. This includes things like compressed CO2 cartridges, like the ones used to make carbonated water. Some chemicals too. This I understand because there is either a danger or restriction to putting this kind of item on a flight, where a leak or damage could cause a big problem.

Not all companies are set up to ship via USPS, so they don't offer parcel post or other via-ocean shipping. And some online companies are just pass-throughs. They don't really have a warehouse of what you see online, they just pass your order through to the manufacturer, who may not offer shipping beyond UPS or FedEx.
the problem with amazon is that when ordering grocery items that say you ship the grocery items then they send you a email saying that they will not be abe to ship the items to Alaska or Hawaii but if you look on the shipping rate to Alaska and Hawaii they say grocery items for basic amount of $.9.99 dollars for shipping to those two states ..

Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,670,129 times
henry, is it they can't ship grocery items to hawaii or they can't ship those grocery items to hawaii?

Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,920,322 times
I was on a site this morning a local chain hardware store they advertised free shipping to your local store in small type they said 70% disc. on shipping to AK and HI and it still goes to your local store......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii