Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 08:19 PM

15 posts, read 41,632 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a lot about the different islands and based on what I've read Oahu and Kauai seem to have a lot of what we are looking for. I was wondering if anybody could give me some info as to how they compare. I mean I've heard that Oahu is where I should go for work (I am studying to be a paramedic) but Kauai seems so beautiful and it's nickname of "The Garden Isle" really suits it. So what are some of the differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times

What's the difference between the Miami area and Key West?

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,159 times
I live on Kauai and believe me the job opportunities are zero.

On Oahu you at least have the military which is the largest employer (and one of the best paying) in Hawaii.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:21 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmacyMedic88 View Post
I've heard that Oahu is where I should go for work (I am studying to be a paramedic) but Kauai seems so beautiful and it's nickname of "The Garden Isle" really suits it. So what are some of the differences?
Oahu has a population of about one million, freeways, and high-rises. The job market is not good, but there is one.

Kauai has a population of about sixty thousand, two lane roads with some bridges which are only one lane (you wait at your end till the oncoming traffic crosses) and has an ordnance that says "You may not build a building taller than a coconut tree". There is one that was built in the '60s, before the ordnance. The job market is bad, with very few outside the hotels, and few there right now.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,395 times
To vacation, Kauai is better than Oahu.. to actually live and work, i would say Oahu. I got to spend 5 weeks total working at Pearl Harbor and one week working at Barking Sands on Kauai.. rough life for me

Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,401,956 times
Job opportunities aside, do you prefer being in or near a city, with all of its cultural diversity and things to do, and occasionally getting out to a more-rural area (in which case, Oahu is the better choice), or do you prefer to live in a slower-paced, more-rural area and occasionally take trips to the city (in which case, Kaua'i is the better choice)? To me, both islands are equally beautiful. My wife is from Hawaii and has lived in both Hilo and Honolulu, and if we could afford it, we'd live in Honolulu, because we like all the big-city choices. But it's very expensive to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: