Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, God is calling you to Hawaii for ministry 5 9.09%
No, God is not calling you to Hawaii for ministry 30 54.55%
I'm not sure 2 3.64%
I don't believe in a god 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,877,314 times

Advertisements

Well, other than spirited conversation, I doubt anything will actually happen. The OP said he has had this "calling" for two years and so far nothing has happened. Generally, if things are gonna happen, they happen. It's just the way things generally seem to work.

My basic premise on this is "bloom where you're planted". The folks where you are at are very similar to the folks here so there's no reason to relocate at all.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,414,968 times
yeah, I feel God wants me to be in Hawaii, too. Especially in the winter.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,587,804 times
I feel God wants me to have a burger at Splasher's tonight.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:05 PM

246 posts, read 646,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.cooper.dc View Post
I only used the poll cause I saw the button and clicked on it and thought it would be a cool way to see where people really stand.

I'm not sure yet if God is really calling me to Hawaii or not, that's why I'm still praying about and seeking His will. that doesn't diminish my faith.

Yes God will provide everything we need if it's His will for us to go. And He still will even if it wasn't His will for us to go but we went anyways believing that it was.

"If you don't make the move right away, that indicates your beilefs are not true." I'm pretty sure that's not right

Yes I am a sinner. If you knew the things I've done and the thoughts that still pop into my mind you'd probably be shocked, but God still loves me and uses me for His purpose and Christ still feels me with His love for others.... Actually you probably wouldn't be shocked, we all basically the same.... Sinners
I was being sarcastic, you can't seem to see beyond the dilusional dogma.
And when I say that G0D will provide, I mean when you apply for welfare, the tax payers of Hawaii will take care of you.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,055,922 times
Quote:
Yes God will provide everything we need if it's His will for us to go. And He still will even if it wasn't His will for us to go but we went anyways believing that it was.
Just curious why you think you are special to God
There are many people who beleive in the same god, yet starve to death, meet horrible deaths both physical and emotional.

Yet god will always provide for you
Why do you feel you are more important than the rest of god's creatures?

Quote:
I didn't know Buddhists had churches.
Outside they are called churches.
A lot of the people remember being 'rounded up' during world war 2 in 'internment camps' where the population was 'concentrated' in one spot so they could be watched.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,837,799 times
Default Wrong forum!

This thread should be in the Religion Forum. It has almost nothing to do with Hawaii.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:33 AM

22 posts, read 56,963 times
Alright I think I need to clarify a couple things. First off lets forget about the whole missionary thing. I'm not retracting my statements I'm just trying to clarify, as I tried to do at the end of my first post and also in some of my replies.

I DO NOT think God is calling me to be an official missionary to Hawaii, I just don't know how else to explain it, but I DO believe God is calling me to Hawaii for ministry but not full time ministry.

So having said that I also want to say that I do not feel God leading me to be funded or supported in any way (except through prayer) from a church or any other source. I think there is some confusion here that people are assuming that I want my church or some organization to fund and support us so we can take a multiple years long vacation in Hawaii and I can see that using the term missionary probably caused the confusion. I fully intend to work when we're there and support ourselves. I've never felt God leading me to seek support during our time there, and it's not a lack of faith thing it's just the type of calling I feel. I feel God calling me to become one of the people there, become friends with my coworkers and neighbors and just live a normal life there. I'm not expecting a vacation while we're there. I fully expect to struggle, make less then we could on the mainland and have a much higher cost of living than on the mainland. But I also expect God to bless us beyond measure with new friends and family that love us with the Aloha spirit that Hawaii is known for.

That leads me to another clarification. I don't want to change anything about Hawaii or the people there. I know it may be tough and take some time but I feel God leading me there to become one of them, so why would I want to change them. I think 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 is a great verse to describe what I'm trying to say here. I want to become like one of the locals so the only ones that are changing will be me and my family. I know it may be tough at times when we're used to things here on the mainland but thats my intentions, it may take years but I hope to become one of the locals. Now I know some will say that I'm trying to convert the people there to Christianity, which is absolutely true, but I hope to do this through the way I live my life and hope that they see Christ and Christ's love in me. Christ is the one that calls people to Him but it's their choice. I'm not going to shout condemnations or assume the holier-than-thou attitude if they don't. I'm still going to be friends with anyone that wants to be friends and still love and serve them, it's up to each person whether or not they want to follow Christ. I can't force them and it would be stupid to try.

I choose this forum instead of a religious one because I wanted to talk to people who live in Hawaii and I don't know of any religious Hawaii forums. I started this to make contacts with other people in Hawaii (so far it's not working) that are involved with ministries just as a way to move forward with this. I've been praying about this for about 2 years and I wanted to start talking to people there about it. To see what they felt when they heard the call and did any of them move there from the mainland? I also wanted to see what kind of responses I would get. I definitely wasn't trying to start an argument or insult anyone. The statements, comments and questions I read are causing me to reflect on what I'm feeling to see if what I feel is real or not. When I sit down to respond I have to really think about what I'm feeling.

Lastly, and I'll probably say this again, I'm still not 100% sure of this calling. I could be completely wrong. But every attempt at dismissing it so far hasn't worked. Also I know that God isn't calling us there right now, God has lead us to other things right now that will take about 3-6 years to complete so I don't think He will lead us to Hawaii before thats finished, but I could be wrong.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerallday View Post
Missionaries have a long history of bringing disease and foreign ideals that destroy native peoples. Christians especially have a tendancy of trying to take over a group of people via religion and, if that does not work, then disease and war will finish the trick. Natives do not need the disruption of another religious fanatic gumming up thier beliefs that are older than christianity. And the rest of the people out in Hawaii move out here to get away from all of the people on the mainland who think they are "helping" by disrupting someone elese personal space and lifestyle
I've seen a lot of comments on here stating something like that and I know it's partly true I think its way overly exaggerated. Yes Missionaries brought diseases to the people they went to but also did everyone else that went to foreign countries. It's not like just because they were missionaries they carried extra or more lethal diseases or something. Anytime new groups get together that have never been before their both going to exchange diseases and illnesses.

Christians are not above making mistakes, but I think making the comment that "Christians especially have a tendency..." is also overly exaggerated. I can see many other religions and world-view points that can be blamed with trying to take over a group of people.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISCIN View Post
Honestly, this secular forum is the last place you want to go for advice when it comes to your personal relationship with God.

As a christian though, I will give you my advice. If God really wants you in Hawaii, He will provide a way. Maybe not the easiest, most direct path that you would have chosen, but He will get you there if He has a plan for you there.
Thank you for that, I completely agree. I know if it IS God's will then it WILL happen. I choose this forum to help me examine my feelings a little deeper by having to reply to the comments of others. I'm really not looking for advice, but I do appreciate the ones that are genuine whether they are supportive or not, I'm just not putting too much weight in them.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
After commenting on this thread yesterday I just had to come back to ask a question.

What do you think Hawai'i is like? I mean really, in the way of church/religion accessability isn't not unlike any of the other states for the most part. It's not like there is a lack of God availability or knowlege and if they only had it things would be different... What do you view it's like there? What do you think the people are like and what would being there be like for you? What would you do for the islands? We've established the homeless bit, but really the homeless people I've met in Hawai'i are usually more happy than homeless people else where on the mainland (you know, free food, nice weather, a lot of them choosing to be homeless, etc). I can't help but wonder that your view is that of an outdated stereo type of Hawai'i, Hawaiians, etc that is completely unrealistic. So hence I ask so I don't make assumptions.
Honestly I think its just like you stated. I know there are a lot of major religions there and people have access to it, I don't view Hawaii as third world or anything like that. I've visited a few times and my mom used to live there and I got to meet and talk to a lot of her friends. So I think it's a lot like living here in the states.

I don't know why God calls people to where He calls them. Why does God still call ministers to the bible belt? they have plenty of churches, ministries and pastors. Gods way's are above ours, He does as He wants. Maybe they just need to hear it from a different person, I have no idea.

I plan on becoming a member of society and contribute to that society.

I've heard and read a lot about people going there to become homeless because of those things you mentioned so, yes I assume that's true, but I doubt thats true for the ones that have children and a family or the ones that their homes are being foreclosed on.

Thank you for asking, I know a lot of people would just jump to assumptions and judgments without caring to ask. Did I answer you questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii