Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Yes, God is calling you to Hawaii for ministry 5 9.09%
No, God is not calling you to Hawaii for ministry 30 54.55%
I'm not sure 2 3.64%
I don't believe in a god 18 32.73%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,461,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Roger Christie, founder of the THC Ministry, probably felt the same way.
The THC Ministry
That is funny!

The Church of the Most High.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,588,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
That is funny!

The Church of the Most High.
A Higher Calling.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:25 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,803,395 times
I think God's calling me to be a Missionary to Hawaii

Yeah!!! that's one of the better lines I've heard so far this year.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:27 AM

22 posts, read 56,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The whole "God is calling me to do this" thing seems normal to Evangelicals/Protestants but having grown up Catholic it's just bizarre to me. The closest thing we had was people saying they were called to be priests or nuns, but that's similar to people being "called" to any other job.

But when you guys say it, it's like you think God is actually speaking to you and telling you specific things to do. It's frightening, because you have no reason to believe that it's not just your own wishes and feelings. How do you distinguish between what you want and what God wants? You can't, and how can that not worry you? Jim Jones thought God wanted him to start a cult, and he was just as sure as you are.

Your subconscious always comes up with ways to justify things, this is just an example of that. God is not calling you to go to a specific place spread Protestant Christianity, especially not a place that is already overwhelmingly Christian.
I don't know why it would be bizarre. I don't really know how to respond to that. Does God not talk to you and lead you in your life? I don't mean like hearing voices or anything but when I read my bible and pray and talk to other christians I can see God leading me in certain directions. God lead me into healthcare, He lead me and my wife together, He lead us to were we have lived and now live. It's not frightening if you know His voice, just look at John 10:27. If you have a relationship with Jesus Christ and trust Him alone for your salvation then following where He leads shouldn't be scary, actually sometimes it will be scary but thats usually where our faith isn't as strong. Also if your walking close with God then He gives you the desires you have (Psalm 37:4). that doesn't mean He will give you what you desire but that He will place desires in your heart, the desires He wants you to have. Also another good way of know your will from His is to see if it glorifies Him, but that's not definitive either. King David wanted to build God a temple to glorify God but it wasn't God's will for him to do that. Or if it contradicts His word then that would be a great sign that it's not from Him. God speaks to His children, we just need to listen.

I haven't studied or read about jim jones very much but from what I do know his actions were not glorifying to God and even though some of his teachings were good (desegregation, etc.) a lot of his teachings were contradictory to God's word.

I don't mean this to sound harsh but Hawaii is definitely not overwhelmingly Christian. Actually according to which poll you use anywhere from 50%-70% consider themselves atheist or agnostic. And then Christianity would be next in line after that, if I remember right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii