U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM

42 posts, read 84,652 times
Default work in exchange for housing

Quick question and might sound stupid but do you ever hear of people who have large estates hire someone to basically live there in exchange for work such as landscaping, pool service etc? It was just a thought and didnt know if this actually did happen. It was suggested to me and figured I would get some thoughts from locals. My husband can fix basically anything and has over 10 years as a landscaper and is a licensed plumber and pool certified. I am sure he can put a post on craigslist for side work but it would be great to even get a discounted rate for housing in exchange for work. I am sure its a shot in the dark but figured I would see what you think. Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:05 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,867,754 times
I have a friend that does this- he takes care of the landscaping for a few rentals and his landlord's property and lives rent free. He found this opportunity through craigslist.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 PM

1,760 posts, read 3,521,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenie24 View Post
Quick question and might sound stupid but do you ever hear of people who have large estates hire someone to basically live there in exchange for work such as landscaping, pool service etc? It was just a thought and didnt know if this actually did happen.
Yes, it happens occasionally and sometimes it doesn't even have to be a "large estate." The current caretaker of my place is a former flight attendant for Aloha Airlines. She stays in my 'ohana unit rent-free in exchange for light housework (ie. vacuuming, mopping floors, and washing windows) and running errands. She got job by networking via her family -- her second cousin's husband was a former classmate of mine from elementary school.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM

878 posts, read 2,685,055 times
You may have some competition. I've got a little Ohana that has come up for rent 3 times in the last 2 years, posted on Craigslist. Each time there were 4 to 6 inquiries from people wanting to do work/trades, everything from yardwork to tantric massage.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM

229 posts, read 548,321 times
There is also an online publication called the Caretaker's Gazette which advertises both places that need caretakers and those qualified to do it. It is by subscription, but not too expensive, as I recall.

http://www.caretaker.org/

Last edited by lauleahere&there; 02-08-2011 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 02-08-2011, 02:53 PM

11,935 posts, read 9,715,604 times
Consider all the aspects carefully. When it works well, it can be great... I know a guy who has been a caretaker on a beautiful estate for 20 years, and now the wealthy family he's worked for is buying him a little cottage to retire to.

But when it doesn't work it can be like a bad marriage. And if you get fired or quit you get a double hit... you lose job and home at the same time! That can be brutal!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:34 PM

4,100 posts, read 3,037,821 times
Have you been watching Magnum PI? I don't think anybody is going to give you a guest house and the use of a Ferrari in exchange for handling security.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM

55 posts, read 110,529 times
If you're renting a house or on a lot with multiple properties, you can certainly negotiate with the landlord for a reduced rate if you do the landscaping. I know people who do this usually for a couple of hundred dollars a month.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 PM

46 posts, read 60,827 times
I've heard about this happening in Australia more often than Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii