Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 4,936 times

Advertisements

My Fiance and myself are going to be moving to Oahu in 10 months when are lease is up. We have been looking at cost of living and trying to figure out as much as we can before we make the move. I will be getting a job as a nurse and my Fiance is on disability right now so for the most part does not work. We first thought of moving for the better weather for his arthritis (but I have to admit I would love it as well) I am writing in hope of getting as much information that I can get (traffic, good and bad locations, car moving, moving furniture, what to take what to leave, food expense ext) We still have some time but we would rather be prepared than have to struggle to get things in order for the move. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Outpatient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Hi Outpatient, welcome to the Forum.

Answers to the very general questions you have at this point can be found in the back posts here, which have a wealth of info already posted. Read sticky thread #2 at the top of the page all the way through, and use the search function to get more info about specific things you're interested in. Then you can ask for more details that pertain to your situation.

You didn't say where you are moving from, or why you think you want to move to Oahu? It's hard to say much about it when there is so little to go on.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 AM

We will be moving from Washington State. We are moving because of my fiances health first and foremost but second we are still young (26) and want a change. We have been to Maui 3 times and love it however never been to Oahu. We are thinking of moving to Oahu because there are more Nursing jobs available there than Maui and we dont really want to move to the big Island. We also will be moving with two dogs and have been looking into that. I am sorry that my question was to vague. I was hoping for more advice, things that we have not thought of yet and still might not until we get there and I know that in its self is vague (To much to ask I guess) I will do more looking on this site and if there is still questions I have I will ask them specifically. Still a little more help then what you have given me would be nice. That is like stopping to ask for direction and being told to look at a map. Helpful I guess but not quit what I was looking for.

Thank you,

Outpatient

Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 AM

I am new to forums, if you could send me a link to the sticky thread #2 I would really appreciate it and begin my reading.

Thank you,

Outpatient

Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Outpatient, there are several things that you can look at on the forum. First, at the top of the list of "threads", or subjects, the first two are called stickies. There is a wealth of information in both of those stickies. Additionally, you can do a forum search. At the top of the Hawaii page are places to enter subjects for searching the forums.

There have been many, many discussions on how much it costs to ship your stuff and your car, what to take with you on your move, the process for moving dogs, etc. You should also search for information on getting a job. I bet that most of your questions have already been answered.

You will find that people will try to help you see Hawaii without the rose colored glasses. We are not being negative (as we've been accused of) we're just trying to help people understand that moving to and living in Hawaii is not as easy as people think. It's a major major undertaking in so many ways and moving to someplace you've never been because you think the weather will help your fiance's health is not really such a good idea.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpatient View Post
Still a little more help then what you have given me would be nice. That is like stopping to ask for direction and being told to look at a map.
Sorry, it's a two-way street. You don't really know what to ask for yet ("I'm having a party... and, ummm, I'll have guests. What should I serve?"), and frankly, you're the nth person this month to ask such very general questions without giving enough information for folks to really know what to tell you. I didn't hand you a map, rather I directed you to a very comprehensive guidebook that will allow you to learn enough to be a lot more specific about what you're asking for. For instance, you'll find details there about the 120 day quarantine period for dogs, and what's required.

If you do follow the directions, and dig into your reading here, one of the things you'll find people saying over and over is... don't plan a move to Oahu (or any other island) without spending some time there first. Each of the islands is different, and each has areas that differ from each other, sometimes in dramatic ways. One of the big reasons that almost as many people move away from Hawai'i as move to it is that many don't do their homework before coming, so they're just living in a fantasy, and don't like the reality they find instead.

Sorry to have to point this out, but you came here with a fantasy that you could just ask a vague question and people would figure out what you really wanted to know... see what I mean? You're going to need to do a lot of research, and be a lot more specific, if you hope to be successful at such a big move.

Good luck

Old 02-19-2011, 05:27 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
First thing you need to do is spend about 2 weeks in Oahu preferably renting something like the usual person would live in if possible. Pretend you live there; go shopping for food, check out furniture prices, car prices, how far to medical care etc.

While you are there see what jobs are available in your field; what they pay, what are the benefits, what are the taxes, cost of insurance, parking (yes you have to pay to park just about everywhere on Oahu).

Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 PM

168 posts, read 726,407 times
My advice would be to leave almost everything behind. Only take the clothes you will need & the personal mementos you must have. As far as a car, it'll cost you about $1200 to ship a car from the west coast. You'll have to see if it's worth it to ship it or if it's just better to buy a new one once you are here. Also, it'll take about 3-4 weeks to ship your car so you will be without a car the first few weeks you are here most likely. Oahu has the most jobs obviously. Traffic sucks. I would suggest living fairly close to where you will work. Also, rent something for a few months to figure out the island before you sign a long term lease or buy anything. Best option would be Konakat's suggestion to come out here for a couple of weeks & scout it out before you move. Do tons of research & look into everything before you move too. It's definitely a different way of life here. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:58 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Katiem8 would know! She's just moved to Oahu lately and would have just gone through everything you are about to.

If you box up the stuff you leave behind in numbered boxes and keep an index sheet with you of what the contents of each box is, you'll be able to call home and tell them to "Send Box #35!" Otherwise, it will be really expensive to shift all your stuff out here and most of the houses are significantly smaller than their mainland counterparts. We are buying a three bedroom two bath house which has 1,024 square feet in it. I've heard of some mainland houses which have had the master suites be about that size.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
First question: Do you have a job waiting, or do you HOPE to get a job? Big difference.

Second, nobody is being snotty when they tell you to look at the threads in these boards. Expecting a long novel after much give and take with questions and answers shows you aren't doing your part to do some basic research first. All of your questions have already been exhaustively answered in other posts; asking the board to repeat them for your benefit isn't fair to ask. Do the work so you can ask informed, specific questions, not general ones.

I would recommend a book on moving to Hawaii. Many of your questions will be answered there.

If you are planning to bring dogs, you will not be able to move here for at least 120 days following the receipt of their KSU Titer tests. Their rabies also have to be up to date and cannot be administered within 90 days of their travel. Failure to follow EVERY step will result in your dogs being quarantined; you will not see them, they will be spirited away at the airport and it'll be thousands to keep them in quarantine. Be advised it's costly to bring them in...the aforementioned test, the health exam, the proper DoA approved crates and the additional baggage charge will cost a thousand to a couple thousand dollars per dog. Google the Hawaii DOA site and look for the 5 days or less checklist. You will also need to have a vet (more $$) meet the dogs at the airport to ensure their direct release. It's a lot of preparation and planning, but I successfully brought over my dogs this month from Washington state. Be aware some short-snout breeds have travel restrictions on the airlines (summer months) and there are other airline restrictions, such as temperature at departure/destination. Make sure you reserve space for your pets; just showing up with them at the airport doesn't mean they will fly with you.

Each island is very diffeent. I wouldn't recommend moving to Oahu if your experience has been on Maui unless you visit first. Entirely different experiences.

Start planning now, take your time and do the research, read boards like this one, and then visit with the idea of moving. Check out apartments; you will want to see what your money will buy (usually smaller and less than you are used to). Check out the grocery prices (expensive, you can't always get the brand you want unless you pay a lot for it, prepare to be flexible). If you are a traveler who is disappointed that different places are not like home, then Hawaii isn't for you. Move to Florida instead. If you can appreciate the differences, the "Hawaiian time" aspect of getting things done, waiting four weeks for an appliance to be shipped from the mainland, doing with less in better weather, then you might like it here. Moving to Hawaii is, in a lot of ways, like moving to a different country. I moved here for my arthritis and it took three years of research, visiting, preparing and selling the house and buying one here to execute the move. But it's worth it...every day I wake up thankful for the wonderful people that inhabit this tiny archipelago and the warmth of these Islands, which has brought almost imemdiate relief to my condition.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: