Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM

806 posts, read 2,332,709 times

Advertisements

I was reading on the Continental Airlines Pet Policy and was blown away with this:

Dangerous Dog Breed Restrictions

Continental will not accept the following breeds of dogs once they have reached either 6 months of age or 20 lbs (9 kgs) in weight (whichever comes first). The includes mixed breeds of these dogs. No exceptions to this embargo will be permitted.

Restricted Breeds:
  • Pit Bull Terriers
  • American Staffordshire Terriers
  • Presa Canario
  • Perro de Presa Canario
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Cane Corso
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • Tosa (or Tosa Ken)
Determination of breed, age or weight of the animal is to be confirmed by the animal's Health Certificate (dated within 10 days of transport). Additionally, Continental reserves the right to refuse any animal that displays aggression or viciousness at the time of tender.
All Boston Terriers, Bulldogs and Pugs

Continental Airlines will accept Boston Terriers, Bulldogs (of any breed including English and French ) or Pugs according to the following conditions:
  • Puppies of these breeds which are between 8 weeks and 6 months of age and are less than 20 lbs (or 9 kgs) will be accepted at any time of the year.
  • Adults of these breeds (older than 6 months of age and/or weighing more than 20 lbs or 9 kgs) are subject to the following restrictions:
    • May 15 - Sept 15 None will be accepted
    • Sept 16 - May 14 These animals will be accepted as long as the forecasted temperatures along the itinerary are expected to be less than 85 degree F (29 degrees C) or lower at the time the animal's flight(s) is scheduled to arrive and depart. Animals may also use the option of "day kenneling" to avoid the heat of the day for connecting flights.
I am going to check out more airlines to see if they have a similar policy..

This is crazy. I know of a lot of very loving and safe mixed breeds. Its how they are raised.....

My little OLD terrier mix can be a bi*ch when scared, and will probably get kicked off the plane!!!! (hope not)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,257,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post

Continental Airlines will accept Boston Terriers, Bulldogs (of any breed including English and French ) or Pugs according to the following conditions: [list][*]Puppies of these breeds which are between 8 weeks and 6 months of age and are less than 20 lbs (or 9 kgs) will be accepted at any time of the year.[*]Adults of these breeds (older than 6 months of age and/or weighing more than 20 lbs or 9 kgs) are subject to the following restrictions:
  • May 15 - Sept 15 None will be accepted
  • Sept 16 - May 14 These animals will be accepted as long as the forecasted temperatures along the itinerary are expected to be less than 85 degree F (29 degrees C) or lower at the time the animal's flight(s) is scheduled to arrive and depart. Animals may also use the option of "day kenneling" to avoid the heat of the day for connecting flights.
The main reason for the restrictions on short-nosed breeds is that they are prone to respiratory issues, especially when temperatures are elevated. It's really better to adopt them out on the mainland than try to bring them here.

As for the "aggressive" breeds, I think it is time for pet owners to get out of denial and wake up. Terriers, pit bulls and the like were never intended to be lap dogs. They were bred to be vicious hunting and fighting dogs. When they get out of control they have been known to kill people. When people or organizations say "we don't want to deal with this kind of dog," it is your duty to suck it up and not whine about it. We don't want to deal with it, seriously.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The main reason for the restrictions on short-nosed breeds is that they are prone to respiratory issues, especially when temperatures are elevated. It's really better to adopt them out on the mainland than try to bring them here.

As for the "aggressive" breeds, I think it is time for pet owners to get out of denial and wake up. Terriers, pit bulls and the like were never intended to be lap dogs. They were bred to be vicious hunting and fighting dogs. When they get out of control they have been known to kill people. When people or organizations say "we don't want to deal with this kind of dog," it is your duty to suck it up and not whine about it. We don't want to deal with it, seriously.
Hawaii probably has more pit bulls and bull dogs, per capita, than any other state. I guess you deserve the flaming you are probably going to get on your comment.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 PM

229 posts, read 924,701 times
I thought the OP said it was Continental's policy, not the state's animal import policy. So you can still bring your "dangerous breed" (their words, not mine) to Hawaii, you just can't fly over on Continental. As much as people may hate the idea, Continental does have the right to limit service to any person or animal they deem to be dangerous.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauleahere&there View Post
I thought the OP said it was Continental's policy, not the state's animal import policy. So you can still bring your "dangerous breed" (their words, not mine) to Hawaii, you just can't fly over on Continental. As much as people may hate the idea, Continental does have the right to limit service to any person or animal they deem to be dangerous.
Correct.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 AM

11,047 posts, read 23,857,204 times
Try American Airlines, we just shipped some rabbits over with them and there were no problems once we got past their desk clerk who didn't think rabbits were shippable critters. So even the folks who work for the companies may not know the rules and regs. Once you find some regulations which are suitable for your proposed pet transfer, you may want to print out a copy of them just in case.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 AM

806 posts, read 2,332,709 times
My husband fell in love with a sweet English Bulldog when we were dogsitting him. He was a lap dog for sure! He wanted to surprise me and get a puppy for christmas.. Luckily I beat him to the punch and brought home a chi/pom, who instantly became one of the boys!

I would have been hearbroken to read this, with as much stress shipping pets already are.
But I do understand!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Try American Airlines, we just shipped some rabbits over with them and there were no problems once we got past their desk clerk who didn't think rabbits were shippable critters.
Like me, they probably knew how dangerous rabbits really can be, having seen the Monty Python series.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Hawaii probably has more pit bulls and bull dogs, per capita, than any other state.
Just curious, because this is not anything I really care about... do you have some factual information to back that assertion up, or did you just pull that out of your okole?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM

11,047 posts, read 23,857,204 times
Hey, if you don't poke other people, they won't poke you back (even if you are poking them for poking you). Just IMHO, but it worked on the playground at school, it probably works on forums, too? Now, MD&3 can have the option of being above it all and ignoring your poke, but what do you want to bet is gonna happen now? (going to make some popcorn)

I dunno, it seems like there are a lot of folks around here who really like pit bulls although we also have a lot of pig hunting dogs, so perhaps a lot of them are the same dogs. I don't know the numbers either, but it sure seems like there are a lot of them. Many of them seem to be chained to trees, usually to the detriment of the tree and I don't see that it helps the dog any, either.

Yeah, I've been thinking of renaming some of the bunnies things like "Killer" and "Fang" and getting some little spike collars for them to wear. There should be a "Monty" in there somewhere, too. Maybe with the next batch of baby bunnies.

Apparently, the airlines have different rules depending on which species of animal as well as which breed of animal. I think they quit allowing any chickens at all except the day old hatched chicks. That was several years ago when there was a big fighting chicken flap going on, perhaps they've changed their regulations since then. I've not looked lately. Just to add to the joy of figuring things out, not only is it different rules for different species as well as different breeds within the species, but it all changes from airline to airline, too. Which would lead one to suspect the airlines have reasons other than what is required by Hawaii state to make their regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii