Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,496 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm a surfer from Florida looking to move to Hawaii when I graduate college in May. I'd like to find a cheap place (studio apt or similar) near some consistent, good surf on either Maui or the Big Island. Obviously Oahu is the best known for its surf, but a buddy of mine who's lived there (and might make the move with me) says Oahu is way too crowded, and I'll take his word for it.

I've gathered that the north shore of Maui is pretty good for surf, and the Kona/Kohala side of BI is pretty nice too. My concerns are: finding employment on either island, the vog on BI, and the expenses of living/tourist traffic on Maui (I have a severe dislike of tourist traps, having lived between Orlando and Daytona my whole life). Sounds like food and rent is going to be cheaper on the Big Island?

I'm used to living in a small town, and it would be nice to be walking distance from a break. Looking at Paia/Kahului area on Maui and Kona/Capt Cook area on BI.

Any and all advice is welcome.

-Danny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:26 AM

129 posts, read 389,638 times
I lived on Maui for 2 1/2 years, and the Big Island for 19. Maui is hands down better for surfing and beach activities in general, as well as general recreational activities of all kinds. Maui is also much more of a "tourist trap", especially the Lahaina side, where most of the surf breaks are located. Hence the greater number of recreational activities.

The Big Island is "beach poor". There's an excellent one, Hapuna, but it's got a hotel on it, and serves as "the" beach for everybody on the island. People take the two-hour drive from Hilo side on weekends to reach it. There are some other beaches on the Kona side, but nothing really great by Hawaiian standards. Some say Hapuna is the best beach in the islands. I don't know, it's pretty touristy, IMO.

Maui is a very hip, chic, trendy, touristy, hedonistic, etc. island, while the Big Island is more oriented toward "normal life". The Kona side is where most of the tourist stuff is located, and the Hilo side has very little feel of being a "tourist trap".

I first visited the Big Island while I had been living on Maui for a year or so. My impression of Hilo was, "ah, this is more like it". Normal life. Hilo is a bigger town than any on Maui, and it's got a real university, which is excellent in some areas of study (Astronomy, Geophysics, Oceanography...).

People move to the Big Island after living on a neighbor island to escape the pressure and the chase for the dollar. There are way more jobs on Maui, but they're all in tourism. Jobs on the Big Island are harder to find. On the Kona side, it'll be a job market pretty much like Maui. On the Hilo side, there are more agriculture oriented jobs.

So basically, the Big Island has two distinct parts -- the Hilo side and the Kona side (with a LOT inbetween). The Kona side is where the tourists go, the Hilo side is where people "just live".

If you want to walk to a surf break, lotsa luck. From where I lived in Lahaina, there were three right in town, but they weren't world class. You might underestimate the size of the islands. You have to *drive* if you want to surf! Most surfers carpool. On the Big Island, you *really* need a car! Public transportation is lacking on both islands, and on both islands, LONG commutes are realistic. For a while on Maui, I lived 40 miles from my job (others were walking distance). Both islands are BIG.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Rassbar has pretty well nailed it! For surf, most gremmies shoot for NorthShore on Oahu. Although even the surf is crowded there. Since you've got a buddy on Oahu, have him scout out the surf breaks on the islands other than Oahu and check into the job and apartment situation for you. It would be a lot cheaper for him to take an inter-island flight than for you to scout from Florida.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:21 PM

2 posts, read 14,496 times
@ hotzcatz- yeah, I wish my friend could scout around for me, but he's back in Florida now...you know, one of those guys that was in the Navy and has been everywhere, but still manages to end up in a podunk town. Haha, jk. :P

@Razzbar- thanks for the perspective on the two islands, I would opt for Kauai but I hear there's nothing there but one lane roads and chickens. Sounds like Maui is my best bet for good surf and work. I can deal with tourists, and I'll probably have to if I want a job. :P
No sweat, I've been to Disney World and the Daytona 500, I can handle anything.

If I do move, I'll probably end up in Oahu eventually...I'd like to get residency and then go to grad school, and the colleges (except for Hilo, like you said) are overwhelmingly on Oahu.

Really, anywhere in Hawaii is going to work for me, I think. As long as I have a car, I can make it to a surf spot...and bad Hawaii waves are probably comparable to 5 star Florida waves. I was originally looking to move to San Diego, but I'm not much for city living and traffic jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii