Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 AM

41 posts, read 109,362 times

Advertisements

I left Honolulu almost 15 years ago and am ready to return. I have been trying to conduct a long distance job search for over a year now without success. I know a lot has changed over the years, but I also know Hawaii and want to make it my home once again. Can anyone offer any tips to help me in my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 09:16 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingpattaya View Post
I left Honolulu almost 15 years ago and am ready to return. I have been trying to conduct a long distance job search for over a year now without success. I know a lot has changed over the years, but I also know Hawaii and want to make it my home once again. Can anyone offer any tips to help me in my search.
What kind of job are you searching for? And what have you been doing so far?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:45 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,599,754 times
Have a skill set needed in the Islands?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
If you still have any family or friends in the islands, let them know you are looking and they may have some leads. Generally, it's not what you know but who you know and who knows you which will land you many of the jobs.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:13 PM

I have a few old college friends left in Hawaii, but not no one I am really close with. I have a background in I.T. and telecommunications. I have focused lately on federal employment and have a few things in progress on either Lanai or Kauai.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
I have a few old college friends left in Hawaii, but not no one I am really close with.
Don't be afraid to ask. I've found that you don't have to be really close to ask people for recommendations. Most people like to help others when they can. It cuts both ways, and I am always happy to give advice, recommendations and leads to people whenever possible. Even to complete strangers, like I do here.

Quote:
I have a background in I.T. and telecommunications. I have focused lately on federal employment and have a few things in progress on either Lanai or Kauai.
I'm sure you know this from reading previous threads here, but it really does make a difference to actually be here, rather than applying from a distance. When a single job listing can (and does) pull in 500 applications or more, any employer, private or government, is going to look first for a suitable candidate locally. So you might consider whether there is some way to get yourself here while you look.

Another point, within IT and telecommunications you've got some network connections to follow up on. Are you using social media like LinkedIn to stay in touch with people, and let them know you're looking? There are some career gurus who say that having a well developed social network online is actually more important today than having a good resume. I'm not sure I agree, but it certainly is something to think about.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Federal employment will pay better than anything else.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,068,891 times
Quote:
I have a few old college friends left in Hawaii, but not no one I am really close with. I have a background in I.T. and telecommunications. I have focused lately on federal employment and have a few things in progress on either Lanai or Kauai.
Ask if you can use their mailing address
No one is going to hire someone from the mainland (for a LOT of reasons) when they can pick a local.

I'm in IT and telecom also. I thought I would test the waters and float my resume. I have had some good responses.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM

10 posts, read 27,941 times
Federal employment might look good now, but look down the road a bit, and it might be very hard to secure that job with the budgets cuts we all know have to come.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 PM

Quite a dilema here. Should not move without a job but can't get a job without being local? Sounds like I will just have to wait til my divorce is finalized and just make the leap. I have lived in Taipei, Hong Kong, Bangkok as well as Honolulu so leaving it all behind and moving once more will not be problem. I have worked mostly in I.T. but my education is in history. At one point in time spoke Chinese, Thai, and Hawaiian, but it has been about 15 years and my language skills are not what they used to be. I used to work at Mission Houses Museum and am very knowledgeable of the missionary period of Hawaii's history. I would prefer to make a career change and find a job at a national park or museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii