Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 PM

20 posts, read 33,690 times

Advertisements

I echo OpenD's recommendation of Pasha. We shipped a car over here to Maui from CA using Pasha and everything went so smooth. They were very open with all the information we needed and we were kept informed each time our car was moved, when, how and where, until we picked it up at the port. Not a scratch, just a little dust.
We also used the largest POD, 8x8x16 to move things we just couldn't part with. 25 yrs. of Marriage and 4 kids memories can't all be donated, sold, or thrown away. The POD was low stress. They put it where we wanted it to be. It was easy to load, only 4" off the ground. The roof is a heavy, translucent fiberglass or plastic so it is water tight and bright inside. We liked that we could take our time loading it. Sure it may have cost a little more, but there was no pressure to "Get 'er done!" other than you pay by the month. Planning it out and and having everything packed and stored in the garage ready to load into the POD before you even order the POD saves time and money. Everything they advertised about the moving process was true, so I don't need to repeat it here. Like Pasha, they keep you abreast of everything via phone calls or email...and will give you updates of the POD in transit. When you have a permanent address, you call them and they will deliver your POD. Both Pasha and PODs made our move over here worry free...and I should absolutely give a big thumbs up to all the helpful advice from all the kind people on this forum. The info and people here are great! (Especially Calico Salsa for her referral to a terrific local Realtor here...we have our dream home!) A lot of the concern of the unknown were put at ease by the friendly advice of the members here that went thru it all before.

fuzzysuzie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySuzie View Post
I should absolutely give a big thumbs up to all the helpful advice from all the kind people on this forum. The info and people here are great!

Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 AM

18 posts, read 61,278 times
Fuzzy - Agreed, the Hawaii forum is INCREDIBLY friendly and helpful. The aloha spirit is obviously not a myth

I was really hoping PODS would work for us but the quote we got from them was $7000, Chicago to Maui. It's just more than we want to spend. Plus, I am enjoying the process of selling most of what we own, I'm realizing how little of it I need or want. I just wish I could find a trustworthy affordable source for those fee bigger items. Mostly, I need to find a way to get the scooter over there. Pasha does motorcyles so maybe they are a source. I would need to figure out how to get the scooter to the west coast from Chicago though.

It's not an easy move but most easy things in life are not nearly as rewarding as the challenges.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrroper View Post
I would need to figure out how to get the scooter to the west coast from Chicago though.
Lightweight motorcycle trailer: U-Haul: Equipment specs

Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
What about selling the scooter and buying a new/used one when you get to Hawaii? Spending $1000 to ship a scooter doesn't seem too cost effective?

Old 03-30-2011, 03:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
What about selling the scooter and buying a new/used one when you get to Hawaii? Spending $1000 to ship a scooter doesn't seem too cost effective?

If it cost $900 to ship the scooter from where you are to Hawaii, you have spent $900 for a scooter on Hawaii.
If you sell the scooter for $X, you have $X to buy a new scooter on Hawaii PLUS the $900 you didn;t spend to ship it.
That means you have $900 plus $X to replace it on Hawaii.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM

I know, I hear what you are saying about the scooter, but it's kind of my baby and I don't want to give it up. It's more of a hobby for me, not just a way to get around.

I am considering selling it but I REALLY want to figure out a way to bring it. It's the only big item I own that I can't quite cut the cord on

Old 03-31-2011, 02:29 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
I thought this was a timely article regarding Horizon (aka Shipmyvehicle.com)

"Horizon Lines Inc., the second-largest ocean shipper serving Hawaii, may file for bankruptcy as soon as next week after the shipping company agreed to pay a $45 million fine to resolve Justice Department price-fixing charges, according to three people familiar with the matter..."

Here is the entire article:

$45M fine tilts Horizon to bankruptcy - Hawaii Business - Staradvertiser.com

Old 03-31-2011, 05:55 PM

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I thought this was a timely article regarding Horizon (aka Shipmyvehicle.com)

"Horizon Lines Inc., the second-largest ocean shipper serving Hawaii, may file for bankruptcy as soon as next week after the shipping company agreed to pay a $45 million fine to resolve Justice Department price-fixing charges, according to three people familiar with the matter..."

Here is the entire article:

$45M fine tilts Horizon to bankruptcy - Hawaii Business - Staradvertiser.com

It wasnʻt for actions in Hawaii it was for actions in other parts of the world lo
like that makes a difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: