Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper123 View Post
hum well, yes but its America so . And the word Asia and Asian is a Indian word :-) i thought that was enough to write here. Cos its a stereotyping gap here in USA , If you go to Europe, Asians have another meaning. I just wanted to point that out .
Completely understood. Maybe because our indigenous people were called Indians?

The cultural and ethnic make-up of Hawaii is very different than most of the other states. We have large populations of Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. To start clarifying in this context would be very strange, as our population of people of Indian descent is miniscule.

It's really very hard to start being so politically correct you have to be culturally sensitive to a group in your state that is way less than 1%.

((I'm not really sure what a stereotyping gap is now that I read back. ))

Please keep in mind, what is politically correct in one country or with one culture, is not necessarily so in another.

When we travel to different countries, we DO take into account the differences and adjust our terminology appropriately. Do you?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
If you go to Europe, Asians have another meaning. I just wanted to point that out .
It doesn't. I lived in Europe and the perception of "Asians" is still thought of as Koreans, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, etc. although there is a higher perception of India actually being in Asia as Americans tend to get geographically challenged.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 PM

136 posts, read 329,874 times
Quote:
Its funny to see 100 posts and no one mention Indians, are the birthplace of the word "Asian" Sanskrit word...sunddely not connected to 2.2 billion south asians aswell? only East asians?.

My experince is many of the South Asians born in USA get married to non South asians/indians,sri,bangla, and so on.
over 50 % of the indian males are married to white woman. Its +500 000 South asians in NY area and most of the mature indian girls born in USA are married to non-indians .
On this thread lets assume that "Asian" refers to ethnicities that are reasonably represented in both Hawaii and California: Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese. There are very few Indians in Hawaii, and it doesn't make much sense to compare how a group fares in two locations when the group is almost non-existent in one of the locations.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,088 times
Well, has things changed at all?

I just looked at the Australian marriage stats and it pretty much mirrors what we have here.

Foreign born Chinese: Asian women marry out at twice the rate of Asian men

2nd generation Chinese: Asian women marry out at a 4:3 ratio (3 being Asian men)

What's good about the report is that, unlike the U.S. Census, there were stats for 3rd generation Chinese.

3rd generation Chinese: no difference between the genders

I think cultural background plays a huge role in who we choose to marry. Not to discount the horrible Hollywood stereotyping mentioned earlier in the thread, but things are changing in Hollywood and the "ideal" male for girls my age (college-age) has become more "feminine" rather than your traditional Arnold type anyways.

Currently live in the suburbs of Socal and the younger generation of Asian guys/girls are mostly dating each other, and when they do date out, I don't see a "gender-gap".

Australian marriage stats: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...73231344,d.aWw

Old 03-31-2015, 04:54 AM

34 posts, read 45,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
I guess in Hawaii it's more difficult for the stereotypes to prevail because the population is exposed to so many Asians that, just as other Americans, have all sorts of different characteristics.

Unfortunately it is exactly what has been told to AsianAmerican guys for decades: That they can never be sexy and hot in a masculine way.
The rest of the general population also ended up finding it difficult to see Asian men in a manly sexual light.

I do agree though that attitude goes a long way. Confidence usually makes a man attractive. Although athletic White guys are easily considered sexy and hot regardless of whether they're confident or not.
um asian men who are masculine and above average in looks could certainly be seen in a sexual and desirable light as well, even moreso than most white men. i guarantee you that women of any race would find someone like say, godfrey gao, as sexy and hot; if anything, an asian who has those qualities may do better than many bland run of the mill white guys as he'd be seen as more of a novelty. and white guys who are sexy but lack confidence could still have trouble maintaining the initial interest someone had in them, so confidence is important for them as well.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
quote:

"
AsianAmericans have gained a presence in commercials in recent years,... But when it comes to depicting couples, the portrayal goes mostly in one direction: White guy and AsianAmerican woman. The combination may be the most common depiction of mixed-race couples in popular culture; African Americans are rarely glimpsed with white mates in TV shows or commercials, for example. [the combination of an Asian woman and a White guy] may even be more common than an Asian American man paired with an Asian American woman.
"

"
Now in reality, AsianAmerican women do marry outside of their race at about twice the rate of AsianAmerican men (about 30% versus 15% I believe is the figure), but in television, it looks like almost 100% of Asian American women do. Let’s try to more realistically portray the diversity of AsianAmerican, as well as all relationships, out their in our television commercials (as well as shows and movies while we’re at it). That is why I thought the McDonald’s and Ally Bank commercials were such a breakthrough and a breath of fresh air.
"
do note that in both media and in real life, the asian women seen with white men are rarely physically attractive, and that the most attractive asian females tend to end up with their own men. this could be due to a number of reasons, such as white men having lower standards or unattractive asian women suffering from self-esteem issues and loathing their own asianness

Old 03-31-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
I've also noticed that it varies by location in Hawaii/California.

Los Angeles: 4
In addition to having the lowest percentage of Asians of the 4 areas, there is the Hollywood influence that portrays Asian men as being second-rate and un-masculine. No surprise that the majority of Asian women date and marry non-Asian men.

i actually haven't seen any such portrayals recently. either way, remember that there are asian men who actually are masculine, and people will be able to see that for themselves, and there's nothing any fictional media can do about it. keep in mind that most non-asians in the los angeles area tend to be unattractive themselves, so you have to consider both sides of the coin.

also, if you haven't noticed, in the LA area the most attractive asian women seem to end up with asian men; remember that many asian women aren't regarded as attractive by asian men and may end up with non-asians instead.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
This is a complex topic but I'll try to keep it short. Racial preference could also be heavily driven by who you grow up around. If you grow up around a particular race, you may find that you are more attracted to that race.

What you've noticed tends to extend beyond Asians (though I am not sure how many white/Asian marriages there are vs. Asian/Asian). I have to be careful not to offend, but in the mainland, whites tend to be viewed favorably above other races. In many instances, the white person in a relationship can even be seen as making the other (non-white) person 'better.' I don't know why but many see dating/marrying whites as top prize. For females, it's the blonde, blue-eyed who gets the highest value.

**Many interracial relationships don't work out because a lot don't go past the dating line (onto marriage) whether it be because of societal pressure or pressure from the family, etc. It is far more accepted for white men to marry outside of their race than for white women to marry outside of their race.

I find that phrase you used interesting 'living the American dream.' I say this because it is still very evident in the U.S. and outside of the U.S. that to be seen as a true American, you have to be white with everyone else having to prove their 'Americanness' (whatever that means). It says something about the message that's being pushed in the mainland and sent out to every country that is exposed to its media.

still doesn't change the fact that most white men in california aren't that good looking though; just walk through any public area and you can see that for yourself, so i don't see how they can be seen as more "favorable". in california, asian women still prefer attractive asian men over white men. also, in regards to the last paragraph, asian americans don't want to ONLY be american; they want to retain their asian side as well as this makes them more interesting than a boring white person who only has an american side. this is also viewed positively by non-americans, which is why asian americans get treated with more respect when they travel abroad compared to white americans as they don't fall under any of the "ugly american" stereotypes

Old 03-31-2015, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post

Things Asians in California have to deal with:
- Everyone assuming they’re foreign and may not speak English well
- Men assumed to fit endless negative stereotypes such as being: un-masculine, shy, nerdy, socially awkward, video game geeks, not fun to be around, having small penises
- Women saying most Asian men are too short
- People assuming they’re good at doing what they’re told but make poor leaders, which is partly why Asians have a difficult time advancing to high management positions, and as a result not getting pay raises. See the “bamboo ceiling”
- Affirmative action that makes it more difficult to get into colleges or get jobs compared to people of all other races
- Being subject to the “model minority stereotype” which assumes that all Asian-Americans are well-off and therefore need no special benefits like Blacks and Hispanic, even though certain groups of Asians (Cambodian, Hmong, and Laotian) have comparable poverty rates to Blacks and Hispanics
- Being subject to anti-Asian rhetoric (China is evil, they’re taking our jobs, we should do whatever we can to prevent their raise). And it doesn’t help that many Americans can’t tell the difference between Chinese people and other east Asians or think all Asians are the same anyway.
- Not fitting the image of a typical American and being seeing as an outsider

Do you see why many women find White men in Hawaii and Asian men in California to be less attractive?
none of those points apply to an asian male who is atypical (good looking, fit, westernized, etc). and either way, it's simply a reflection of the ignorance of non-asian americans; the same people who hold these views are the same people who can't find places like japan on a map and are the butt of jokes made about americans by people from other countries. oh, and affirmative action doesn't apply to the public universities in california nor to jobs.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousKapono80 View Post

I'd say that Los Angeles/southern californian Asian-American females are the "sellout" types who would prefer to date outside of their racial group. Why? It's mainly due to L.A.'s superficial and materialistic lifestyle that follows what hollywood shows you. This is my hypothesis of why there are a boatload of Asian female/whitemale couples if you walk the streets of Santa Monica, la Brea and the western portions of L.A. Asian males are at the bottom of the totem pole in Southern california, where as latino men and black men are at the top of the hierarchy when it comes to non-white males being preferred.

right, and you notice how none of those asian females are ever attractive? if anything, you should be happy to see them since they are only reiterating the stereotype of unattractive asian women dating white men. and also, attractive/masculine asians will still be preferred over the majority of latino/black men, and even most white men; remember that the typical non-asian man isn't exactly that good looking or desirable themselves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: