U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-30-2011, 10:29 AM

101 posts, read 105,430 times
Default Getting permission to ship a financed car

Has anyone had an issue with getting their finance company or bank to approve shipping their car to Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM

285 posts, read 490,043 times
When I was in the military many years ago I shipped a car here and had no issues. The process is probably still the same not sure. If I remember correctly all I needed to do was be current on payments, provide the proper insurance coverage, and inform the bank of the reason for my needing to take the car to Hawaii, ie. employement, military move etc. This was 30 years ago, so I am sure the process must be eaiser now than way back then.

Unread 04-30-2011, 03:29 PM

4,125 posts, read 2,988,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Has anyone had an issue with getting their finance company or bank to approve shipping their car to Hawaii?
This is something I have direct experience with.

1) If military, this is a routine request always granted.

2) If not military - you may have a lot of problems. I leased my car from Lexus - they would not budge under any circumstance to approve the car to Hawaii no matter how many managers I spoke to. I had to buy the car. I found out the hard way Lexus on the mainland is different than Lexus in Hawaii - completely operating differently (Lexus in Hawaii is run by Japan, Lexus on the mainland is run by Lexus N. America).

Unread 04-30-2011, 07:28 PM

285 posts, read 490,043 times
That was the key leased vrs. own or buying. And, yes, most everything here is somewhat different than the mainland.

Unread 05-01-2011, 01:10 AM

77 posts, read 89,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
That was the key leased vrs. own or buying. And, yes, most everything here is somewhat different than the mainland.
We're getting ready to ship ours from Seattle through Matson. We're military, but I called Matson and asked just in general (didn't mention we're military yet), and was told Hawaii is a U.S. state so it isn't a problem as long as the vehicle is own/finance, not lease/financed. So like timbo said, it seems that it's only an issue if you're leasing the vehicle. Matson said they don't even need to see anything other than what we showed to get our WA state registration tags. I would just call the company you're going use for shipping and ask them what you need to do in preparation for shipping.

Unread 05-01-2011, 01:40 AM

1,450 posts, read 2,166,080 times
Don't ask for permission beg for forgivness. Number 1 lesson for Hawaii.
(Not meaning disrespecting locals or local spots) just rules.

Leased cars issues hard to ship not ansewering that question
but-- if your making payments buying they don't care where the car is unless your not making payments. Once settled in Hawaii let financing company know where the new address is. Putting car into storage and not paying full coverage for a vehicle without payments is big deal. But long as payments made, insurance covered they are not about to try to cause issues or get car back.

another issue you may not realize. Don't know about Kona side but getting a PO Box in Hilo or Pahoa is a waiting list. I drive 25 miles for mine and only have it because of SO. Until you get settled I would suggest getting a PO in WA forward it PO if you can get or a mail stop. anothoer issue in Hawaii. I am only there 6 months so I forward from WA. then back in WA two weeks then forward again to AK. If you keep WA PO no issues for car.

Unread 05-01-2011, 10:23 AM

2,033 posts, read 2,474,447 times
Default possibly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
There has been some back-and-forth info being given to you regarding this.
We were told the same thing, that we needed 'written permission' from our financing company prior to shipping one of our vehicles. I do not believe that is actually the case. We went round and round about this. I truly do not believe that you need to worry about it. But...please check w/the shipping lines to be sure.
Koale

Unread 05-01-2011, 11:18 AM

4,125 posts, read 2,988,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
There has been some back-and-forth info being given to you regarding this.
We were told the same thing, that we needed 'written permission' from our financing company prior to shipping one of our vehicles. I do not believe that is actually the case. We went round and round about this. I truly do not believe that you need to worry about it. But...please check w/the shipping lines to be sure.
Koale
If you ship out of Washington, Tacoma/Horizon or Seattle/Matson - you better be prepared for needing a letter from the finance company to ship your car if it shows a lien on the registration.

If you ship out of California, specifically Matson - they very likely won't ask for a permission to ship letter.

Your next hurdle is Hawaii registration - if you get your car to Hawaii without a permission to ship letter, they will definitely ask when you go to register the car.

I got my car originally to Hawaii via SF Bay area which was leased - only to get denied for Hawaii registration. Ended up getting a car dealer (friend of friend) to register it for lots of $$$'s. Moved back to the mainland (they are happy to give you permission to ship from Hawaii to Mainland) - and when I moved back to Hawaii bought out my lease - first thing they asked me for at Horizon/Tacoma was my title.

Unread 05-01-2011, 01:33 PM

10,146 posts, read 6,972,018 times
Pasha requires a permission letter from the lien holder to ship to Hawai'i. It's no big whup to get if you're up to date on your loan.

Unread 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,261,762 times
Pasha doesn't require a letter from the lien holder if you're shipping TO Hawaii....only when you're shipping FROM Hawaii. Thats a HI state law. Not a Pasha rule.

http://www.pashahawaii.com/documents...e4shipment.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii