Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM

351 posts, read 587,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglenachos View Post
I have been to Hawaii 4 times but not oahu and I know about how expensive it is but I know I can handle it. Santa Barbara is in the top ten expensive cities right next to Honolulu so I'm fine with it. California is full of hispanics and in my opinion it is ruining our economy which is another reasone why I need to get out. If you want to know one of my dreams in life is to move to the tropics. All I do at school or home is go on internet and look up tropical locations and anything about it. I know I can survive in the economy but I would like feedback from others.

Basically in conclusion, I want to move to hawaii from california at 18. Do you think I can do it and do you have any advice on it???
If your parents are willing to provide you with financial help should you need it and/or want to go back to Santa Barbara because it just didn't work out, then in my opinion, GO FOR IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 845,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
If your parents are willing to provide you with financial help should you need it and/or want to go back to Santa Barbara because it just didn't work out, then in my opinion, GO FOR IT!
That's what I was going to say. Or at least have an "open" round trip ticket in case you ever need it. Mind you--- I have been on my own since I was 16 years old because I graduated at 16 and my mother was glad to have one less mouth to feed. So, I've had many "adventures" in life and don't regret most of them. Keep your wits about you at all times and never do anything without taking some time to plan the "how to's and then what's" first. Good luck and God bless... And have a beautiful life!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 PM

15 posts, read 34,550 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokeanne View Post
i don't think it's so much that. most ppl think moving to hawaii will be like their vacations. in reality it's not really like that. we just want you to be aware of what it's really like.

homelessness has sky rocketed and with the economic/unemployment problems drug use has risen quite a bit. in the last 4 months we've had 3 or 4 police shootings where the police have killed 3 ppl. all of them were drug related. it may not seem so bad where you are from, but it is rather unheard of here. the thing about the jail is true, it was going through legislation. we don't want you to come here and find out that this was a huge mistake.

i say do it, but come knowing the real side of hawaii. the side where ppl have to work 2 to 3 jobs to rent a decent place. where the homeless sleep in the parks and under bridges. be prepared for the worst, save up money and know that it won't be rosey. we would hate to see you come here, hang out withe the wrong crowd, and get into drugs. i've seen it happen with military wives. it's very sad, esp for husbands.

we are saying, know what you are getting into and be sure to have a way out.
Drugs are last thing I would do but I see how people would not want sum reckless kid coming to their state just so smoke meth and injecting everything in site. Drugs are no no on my list even alcohol like I don't want to drink or go to bars at all id rathere go bike riding or hiking you know.

Also thanks for being honest mokeanne

Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhwarrior10 View Post
I don't think you'd have the same sympathy for him if you were hispanic.

So the kid needs to GET OUT MORE.

He obviously needs to travel and see the world.

When I first moved to Chicago I thought how weird they are. That they all lived in the same apartment, grandmother, kids and grandchildren. ewww. Like a nest of cockroaches (OK maybe I wasn't that bed)

Then I got to know one. What I didn't understand was that the sense of family was extremely strong. Something a white boy like me could not understand.

They didn't go to grandma's twice a year. She was with them most of the time. They all helped each other out, they lived together. I had the great privilege of getting to know a family through my girlfriend, Bertha Rodriguez. The grandmother would cook and watch the kids while the rest of the family worked.

And boy could she cook! The best corn soup that tasted like it was loaded with sugar, but was just fresh corn. Mole, made from chocolate, that simmered for three days.

She had worked in a sweatshop in Honduras and saved enough money to get her family to Chicago. She worked as seamstress in Chicago. Had three kids. ALL of them went to college. Bertha, my girlfriend, got her masters from a good Chicago school. They all now own their house, pay taxes and are great people in the community. They had it really rough and did not take any government assistance.

I know and respect these people because I traveled and met people!

And you guys are saying he is immature!
Damn right he is! We all were. He needs to get out and experience other cultures.

Like HAWAII!

And listen to mokeanne, he always has great advice

Quote:
I just don't like the diversity where I live its not cuz I'm racist its just tired of same old same old you know?
Yeah, your racist, we all are, and we are feed a bunch of mistruths through childhood. that is why you need to get out more.
The above story was just to illustrate that there is no way you can uderstand a culture from the position you are in now.

Last edited by Tenzo; 05-04-2011 at 06:07 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Omg that sounds like a movie!
When I did get in a cab I told him the address with the street name (I forget the exact words) But what I told him was simply like "I want to go to the long street, or a main street". He was very helpful and got me there. But at a stop he did roll down his window and tell another cab driver what I told him as a street name. They both thought it was funny.

I guess it was. Clueless guy with two large bags wants to go to "Boulevard"

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
What? I've never posted anything before except this.

And I'm paying my way whole time so thanks for the love. But I'm not going to grow up in a town I hate I wanna go somewhere ill be proud of! And I LOVE the cultures and diversity of hawaii that's one reason I want to go. I just don't like the diversity where I live its not cuz I'm racist its just tired of same old same old you know?
I call BS. It's easy to change handles. So there are MORE than one of you, young kids who 1) profess a dislike for Hispanics and 2) want to move to Hawai'i from Santa Barbara? I don't think so.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:57 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Did I mention that all the signs were in Kanji?
You can't just take a book and translate that. How do you look up a character that looks like a rice paty with a cactus after it.
Ya Cant!
(It means exit. Hell, I didn't even know how to exit the subway!)
Oh, and a lot of the building don't have adresses. You have to tell the cab driver the major landmark and where it is in relation to that.

The business was near Yasikuni Jinja behind the Mitsubishi building.
They didnt tell me THAT in the interview.

And you guys are giving him a hard time about going to HAWAII!???

PLEASE
Did you profess a dislike for Asians or Filipinos before moving to Japan? I doubt it. Not the same situation at all.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM

15 posts, read 34,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Did you profess a dislike for Asians or Filipinos before moving to Japan? I doubt it. Not the same situation at all.
Your getting all worked up geez

Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 AM

38 posts, read 48,422 times
Well, apply to many colleges up there, if you can. Maybe a scholarship? You're sixteen, so you have at least, two years for you. I also suggest having a bit of an open-mind, there's going to be a lot of Asians and other people of color there so you'd be the odd one out.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post

You are going to make me confess this huh?

In high school we used to go '***** hunting', Mexicans were greasers, and Blacks were the N word. I grew up in an area where the only blacks I saw were the maid and the National Geographics in the basement. I think we had one Jewish kid in our school. I think I drew a broken cross in chalk on his sidewalk once.

When I dated the girl from Honduras, my parents told me not to come home for Christmas if I was going to bring her.

But we can't help how we are brought up. It's when we are adults that we need to question everything, explore and form our own opinions.

I'm really sorry I did all those things and I had long since forgotten them along with sucking my thumb.

And as for you guys berating the guy who asked you a question........
To me, you appear as prejudiced as him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: