U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 24,880 times

Advertisements

Hi, I only have three questions.

1. Are the people in Honalulu or Lani Racist toward new comers?
2. How safe are these places? what are the Crime Rates?
3. Are these reasonable places to raise a family?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,060,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandsFinest View Post
Hi, I only have three questions.

1. Are the people in Honalulu or Lani Racist toward new comers?
2. How safe are these places? what are the Crime Rates?
3. Are these reasonable places to raise a family?

Generally, people in Hawai'i will welcome you if you come with an open mind and an open heart. Crime statistics vary by neighborhood; these are searchable on the internets. Whether it's reasonable to raise a family, that depends on what kind of upbringing you want to provide. People do raise kids here. Refer to the sticky threads on moving...it's expensive, a lot like moving to another country, and it's a slower pace. If you can adjust to that reality, you'll be OK. If not, it's not a move you want to make.

Always visit several times before deciding on a move. Hawai'i is not just a travel poster. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:08 PM

5,973 posts, read 9,753,300 times
There is discrimination against newcomers but it's not because of race, it's because they aren't likely to stick around. The return rate of folks who move to Hawaii is huge so more than likely if you hire a newcomer or make friends with one, they will leave within one or two years. After you've been here awhile folks figure you are likely to stay so they are much more willing to invest friendship or job training in you.

Honolulu is an urban center on the island of Oahu and has a whole variable crime rate. Most of the crime in Hawaii is petty theft, though, but violent crime is increasing over the past several decades. Some areas are much safer than others, but it all depends on the area. If by "Lani" you mean "Lanai" then that's a separate island from Oahu / Honolulu. It is extremely remote and has a lot less folks living on it. Unless you already have a job on Lanai or unless you don't need a job, it may not be a place you would want to consider.

There are a lot of compromises most folks must make in order to raise a family in Hawaii. There are a lot of close knit families here, but the ones who seem to thrive are the ones who have multiple family members here who can help each other. Living in Hawaii is best done in a group, usually either a multi-generational family or a group of friends who can help each other out with various things.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM

820 posts, read 1,819,143 times
I think you mean Honolulu or Lanaii, and those are about the opposite extremes of types of living.

Honolulu is a city on the island of Oahu, and the most city you'll get on any island. I'm going to guess that crime rate is waaaay higher than many other places on most other islands of Hawaii.

Lanai is a remote, quiet island off the island of Maui. I would expect an extremely low crime rate.

Can't generalize on racism, but as answered already, the reception someone gets will likely be more personal that based on your race. That is, it won't matter what color you are if you are a jerk, same thing if you are a sweetie.

What do you mean by reasonable? Not enough criteria to answer. You have to tell us how you want to raise your family - what's important to you - and then we can tell you if that matches the area.

But for a very general idea, Hawaii is much more family oriented than many other places. That is, many family activities & ties here. The word "ohana" means extended family, and many people here include many non-relatives in their ohana. It implies having strong ties, respect, and support. The fact that there is such a word, in common use, should indicate that strong relationships are valued.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:04 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,739,371 times
like everyone has posted here is how you treat people is the biggest thing here ..When the earthquake hit Japan i was on the phone calling people i knew that there was a earthqauke in Japan the waves are heading for Hawaii ..

one of the person i knew there on the big island was like there is no warning i have heard of and when we where on the phone it was going off right after i said that to him and he starts to laugh and go you got me ..

i told him and a couple of people to go over to my place and they can camp out there because it beening far enough inland that might be safe there ..he goes thank you and i call you back to tell you if we are leaveing for your place on the island ..

So i earned some points with the people i knew there by calling them and checking up on there when it happened in japan and after it came a shore in hawaii ..

after it was over i travel to check up on the people i knew and the see how much damage was done to the area i lived in ..

one of the people i knew i tried to do the tradition hawaii greeting back to them and i got part of it wrong and they laughed and give me a group hug and was told to keep trying you get your tongue wraped around the word in time..

so it boils down to how you treat people in the end if you treat them like a stupid person then you going to get treat the same way back ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: