Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 10:39 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
When one fool sees half the population as "freeloaders" and "parasites" there's really no basis for any debate whatsoever.

Of course, he's talking about college kids who work summers, because they get all their taxes back, so they are parasites. So are kids who work in high school, anyone working part time, in his opinion, is a parasite. Where do you start with a discussion? You can't. You have to beat back this kind of brain damage.
Actually, some of the people paying nothing in taxes earn up to $45,000. Perhaps you should get some actual facts before making an abject fool out of your post.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
When one fool sees half the population as "freeloaders" and "parasites" there's really no basis for any debate whatsoever.

Of course, he's talking about college kids who work summers, because they get all their taxes back, so they are parasites. So are kids who work in high school, anyone working part time, in his opinion, is a parasite. Where do you start with a discussion? You can't. You have to beat back this kind of brain damage.
I'll let everyone judge for themselves. Here is my original post which Huey responded to with "bullsh*t" and continued insulting.

begin quote

A "needs-based" system works only at the family level. Once you get beyond that (the whole rest of society), it fails.

At those levels, the only system that works are "merit based". Giving an adult something just because she needs it only insures that her needs will increase in proportion or faster, than your willingness to meet them.

People MUST be made responsible for their own upkeep. I think it was Aristotle who said that tolerance was the last virtue of a failing society. There is no virtue in tolerating the intolerable or accepting the unacceptable. It is false-charity that does far more harm than good.

end quote

Now, you might not agree with this wisdom, that is okay. I don't expect everyone to recognize wisdom. But to respond with vitriol started out with a profanity... well you judge who was the bass turd here Me who authoried the above original post, or Huey who responded with "bullsh*t".

Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
I'll let everyone judge for themselves. Here is my original post which Huey responded to with "bullsh*t" and continued insulting.

begin quote

A "needs-based" system works only at the family level. Once you get beyond that (the whole rest of society), it fails.

At those levels, the only system that works are "merit based". Giving an adult something just because she needs it only insures that her needs will increase in proportion or faster, than your willingness to meet them.

People MUST be made responsible for their own upkeep. I think it was Aristotle who said that tolerance was the last virtue of a failing society. There is no virtue in tolerating the intolerable or accepting the unacceptable. It is false-charity that does far more harm than good.

end quote

Now, you might not agree with this wisdom, that is okay. I don't expect everyone to recognize wisdom. But to respond with vitriol started out with a profanity... well you judge who was the bass turd here Me who authoried the above original post, or Huey who responded with "bullsh*t".

Wrong. I singled out this quote and called B S on it, not the rest of the quote:

"Giving an adult something just because she needs it only insures that her needs will increase in proportion or faster, than your willingness to meet them."

My response: "Bull-s***. There are some people who milk the system. Others do not. Such sweeping generalizations are trash."

Post 39 of this thread. Don't take my word for it, look it up.

See, Einstein, when you post only an EXCERPT of a quote, THAT becomes the point of the discussion. If I had included the entire quote, you'd be partially correct. But I didn't, so you're wrong.

You're making yourself look more and more like a desperate fool.

Last edited by AlohaHuey; 06-10-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Actually, some of the people paying nothing in taxes earn up to $45,000. Perhaps you should get some actual facts before making an abject fool out of your post.
Uh, how many college students and part timers make less than 45K? Pretty much all of them. And you call them parasites. My post was factually correct. I'd hand you a shovel but you're doing a great job already.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Wrong. I singled out this quote and called B S on it, not the rest of the quote:

"Giving an adult something just because she needs it only insures that her needs will increase in proportion or faster, than your willingness to meet them."

My response: "Bull-s***. There are some people who milk the system. Others do not. Such sweeping generalizations are trash."

Post 39 of this thread. Don't take my word for it, look it up.

See, Einstein, when you post only an EXCERPT of a quote, THAT becomes the point of the discussion. If I had included the entire quote, you'd be partially correct. But I didn't, so you're wrong.

You're making yourself look more and more like a desperate fool.
That fact that you used such profanity on any part of my post made you what you accuse me of being. My post was cogent, rational, well thought-out and presented. Other's disagreed with some part of it but did so as a mature and rational person, but you chose to do otherwise, much to your discredit, no check that, much to your SHAME.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Jeffington, is this the article you were talking about?

Millionaires who owe no federal income tax - May. 9, 2011

Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

I was referring to info released last month by the IRS that stated that 45% of taxpayers pay no income tax (or less). 40% not only pay no income tax, but also get money from the IRS from other taxpayers in the form of tax credits that exceed their tax. For example, if your tax is $1,000, but you have $3,000 in tax credits, you end up with a check from the IRS, funded by McFrosty et al, in the amount of $2,000.

It was down from 47% the previous year (2008 figures).

Some of the taxreceivers earned as much as $45,000.

It was widely reported in news outlets, as well as all the talk shows.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

One other thing "millionaire" is a status of wealth (which we don't tax), not income (which we do tax). If a billionaire doesn't earn income, or earns reduced rates of interest of tax-exempt municpal bonds, they owe no tax. However, it must be noted, there is no mandate that only rich people can invest in such bonds.

We have develped an entitlement-mentatlity in the country where people think they are entitled to things merely by virtue of existing.

It is 10:30 local time. I just finished working for the day, and I started at 8:00 am. I do that virtually 7 days a week, with only slightly-reduced hours Sat and Sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii