Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 05:37 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,873,855 times

Advertisements

Hard to find Canec anymore, but I suppose the arsenic in it makes it less than desirable for indoor use anymore, huh?

When doing single wall construction these days, it's actually more of a post and beam construction with the single wall just used as sheathing. Also the old single wall buildings were significantly smaller than their newer double wall cousins so the calculations for wind loading and seismic would use smaller numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,528,480 times
some exterior sots of a single wall home

Hawaiian Architecture

Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM

I have done a number of window upgrades, to actually replace/fix the older style jalousies its allot cheaper and easier to install some of the home depot/lowes windows.

Uh... you lost me moment...

I have an older single wall exterior home in Hawaii that I am making improvements to. I am installing a casement window into a self built 2"x4" frame. I followed all the instructions I found on line with the exception of one. I don''t have room at the top of the frame to install the recommended double 2"x4" plate running the length of the top of the window as this is an old house and the roof line is quite low.

I have an older single wall exterior home in Hawaii that I ... - JustAnswer

Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 PM

termites and their natural predators... during termite seasons, growing up I would see the cane toads on the roads, perched under the street lights at night waiting for the termites to fall from the sky so they can eat them. Then along comes the car and runs the toad over..... awue. the ecosystem of the toads have long gone. Growing up when ever it would rain I would hear the croaking of the toads all night, then the following days I would see tad poles every where. Now I see an occasional toad here and there but not like growing up we would see lots.

At night the porch lights are on and the termites come flying around..... I see the Mo'o on the screen of the door waiting for the termite to land so they can be eaten...... Along comes that cat and eats Mr. Mo'o. awue.....

ramblings.... =0)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii