Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:50 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanawaleJulie View Post
I really worry about making a living on the islands, and also think that property taxes should not grow with land values. It is fundamentaly wrong. How is it that someone who lives on a fixed income, and bought their pad years ago on that fixed income, now needs to worry about the fact that other people moving en masse to the area, and the market changing, now means that they have to make more money. It is fundamentally wrong.
California's Proposition 13 was passed to remedy situations like the above. Unfortunately, the aftermath of Proposition 13 has not been beneficial for the majority of Californians. It introduced some major inequities, inefficiencies, and regressivity into California's tax structure and contributed to its lack of affordable housing. If a Proposition 13-type initiative were passed in Hawai'i, it would probably be disastrous. Hawai'i already has a dearth of affordable housing, poor public schools, inadequate infrastructure, and a host of other problems that would probably be exacerbated by capping the property tax rates. In addition, capping the property tax rates in Hawai'i would simply lead to an increase of "special assessments" to fund things that would have probably been covered by increasing property taxes in the first place.

Most of the counties in Hawai'i have age-based "exemptions" that reduce the taxable value of real property. In addition, homeowners over the age of 62 can tap their equity via a "reverse mortgage" in order to remain in their homes. If these measures aren't feasible, long-term residents of Hawai'i can always move to a place that has a lower cost-of-living, like Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Something to keep in mind when discussing propery taxes is that the assessments lag behind the market by about 18 months. For those who saw their taxes increase this year, but also are keeping up with current market values in the area where they own property, this has proven to be very confusing and frustrating. Advertising a property as "priced below assessed value" doesn't really mean much anymore if it is vacant land you selling. Hardest hit were areas like Nanawale, HOVE and other Kau subdivisions.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 PM

376 posts, read 489,978 times
Default Nanawale Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Something to keep in mind when discussing propery taxes is that the assessments lag behind the market by about 18 months. For those who saw their taxes increase this year, but also are keeping up with current market values in the area where they own property, this has proven to be very confusing and frustrating. Advertising a property as "priced below assessed value" doesn't really mean much anymore if it is vacant land you selling. Hardest hit were areas like Nanawale, HOVE and other Kau subdivisions.
Will the tax increase that occured last tax year be reversed then? My property was assessed at a value that it no longer is. Will my taxes go down and if so, when?

Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 AM

65 posts, read 377,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladis3 View Post
Flowermom! You are so much more positive than Mauidude. If I didn't know better, I would say he is trying to keep everyone from moving to Hawaii. It's not working Mauidude! Your plan has been discovered.

Glad your experience is good. Me and my hubby & girls are very excited to make a move, and after going there on vacation, we totally thought it was feasible. We do everything as frugal as possible. Not saying cheap, but living in OC, we learned to really spend our money wisely. Spend when needed and get the best bang for your buck without sacrificing quality or fun. I think we would be fine there.

Thanks for your post.
Keep in mind that this person is buying a house and you are renting.

She's probably much better off than you are from the start.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:28 AM

19 posts, read 102,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffan28 View Post
hawaii is "expensive" if you have lived in low cost of living areas. Where I'm from, the prices are about the same so moving to Hawaii was not a huge shock at all. In some ways, it's less expensive than where I'm from (gas being the exception). Gas is probably the highest you'll find anywhere here in Hawaii but at Cosco it's only $3.00 per gallon.

I believe in the 50/50 rule - Take about 50% of what you learn from the Internet as truth and the other 50% as not applicable - people from such a wide range of backgrounds are giving their opinions based on their different experiences so the "grain of salt theory" applies.
Very well stated.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
California's Proposition 13 was passed to remedy situations like the above. Unfortunately, the aftermath of Proposition 13 has not been beneficial for the majority of Californians. It introduced some major inequities, inefficiencies, and regressivity into California's tax structure and contributed to its lack of affordable housing. If a Proposition 13-type initiative were passed in Hawai'i, it would probably be disastrous. Hawai'i already has a dearth of affordable housing, poor public schools, inadequate infrastructure, and a host of other problems that would probably be exacerbated by capping the property tax rates. In addition, capping the property tax rates in Hawai'i would simply lead to an increase of "special assessments" to fund things that would have probably been covered by increasing property taxes in the first place.

Most of the counties in Hawai'i have age-based "exemptions" that reduce the taxable value of real property. In addition, homeowners over the age of 62 can tap their equity via a "reverse mortgage" in order to remain in their homes. If these measures aren't feasible, long-term residents of Hawai'i can always move to a place that has a lower cost-of-living, like Nevada.
Nevada? Not anymore.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxed View Post
Nevada? Not anymore.
Although the cost-of-living in Nevada has increased somewhat, it's still cheaper than most of Hawai'i. Considering that Nevada leads the nation in foreclosures, I'm willing to bet that the overall cost-of-living there will continue to be less than that of Hawai'i.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Although the cost-of-living in Nevada has increased somewhat, it's still cheaper than most of Hawai'i. Considering that Nevada leads the nation in foreclosures, I'm willing to bet that the overall cost-of-living there will continue to be less than that of Hawai'i.
Nevada is a big state. Sure, with a trailer out in the desert one can live less expensive; I was thinking of Las Vegas.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:05 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Quote:
Nevada is a big state. Sure, with a trailer out in the desert one can live less expensive; I was thinking of Las Vegas.
Here's a house in Las Vegas worth $319,000 :

Zillow - 10164 Birch Bluff Ln, Las Vegas, NV 89145 (http://www.zillow.com/aerial/DualMapPage.htm?zpid=6916488 - broken link)

and here's one, somewhat comparable, in Kailua, recently sold for $750,000:

Zillow - 741 Pahumele Pl, Kailua, HI 96734

Hank

Old 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
There's more to the cost-of-living than housing prices.

Every time I go to the grocery store, put gasoline in my car, pay my electric bill, or purchase furniture in Hawai'i, etc. I am reminded of the "price of paradise." Since most of the jobs in Hawai'i pay less than comparable positions elsewhere, folks either work longer hours or reduce their standard of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii