Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 AM

255 posts, read 881,696 times

Advertisements

I think everyone should go for their dreams. If you allow other peoples opinions to discourage you, then you really didn't want to make the move in the first place.
I think anyone can make it anywhere with determination.
I'm poor and I made it to LA.
Its hard and I'm reaching for my goals but it can be done.
I'm also considering hawaii eventually.
The question you should be more concerned about is that you have a family, will they adapt?
You may do fine and dandy but one of the kids could rebel or your wife may hate it.
When you make such a big move with other people in tow, you have to consider them. No matter how much you sacrifice and enjoy it, they may hate it. And that's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM

255 posts, read 881,696 times
I think everyone should go for their dreams. If you allow other peoples opinions to discourage you, then you really didn't want to make the move in the first place.
I think anyone can make it anywhere with determination.
I'm poor and I made it to LA.
Its hard and I'm reaching for my goals but it can be done.
I'm also considering hawaii eventually.
The question you should be more concerned about is that you have a family, will they adapt?
You may do fine and dandy but one of the kids could rebel or your wife may hate it.
When you make such a big move with other people in tow, you have to consider them. No matter how much you sacrifice and enjoy it, they may hate it. And that's a fact.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:14 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Nepotism is a way of life in Hawaii. You'll get used to it.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 PM

11 posts, read 49,571 times
You need at least $100,000 a year to get by...

Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 PM

206 posts, read 466,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
This is a vitally important point. Whether the schools are "good" or not, if your kids are going to be bullied and ostracized while already vulnerable from such a difficult relocation, then it can ruin their childhood. The situation is very different for them than for a secure, mature adult.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:54 PM

1,019 posts, read 589,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SETI III View Post
Aloha! New to the forum here. I'm a Californian looking to make the move to Hawaii. I'm trying to get into law enforcement with absolutely no luck after graduating the police academy last September here in NorCal. My wife and I are in our mid 30's with 3 kids (13,10,8). My wife is a worker's comp claims examiner. We're looking to leave the hustle and bustle of the SF Bay and live the island life. I noticed that cops don't make much out there (average about $52K to start). How much does a family of 5 need to make it? We're not extravagant at all, don't keep up with the Jones's, and live pretty meager lives as it is. Any advice/input would be appreciated. Mahalo!
$250,000 pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii