Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:01 PM

33 posts, read 98,176 times

Advertisements

I've flown from LA to Auckland too many times to count, it's 12 hours over water, and the best thing I can tell you is do your best to avoid boredom, you'll relax more that way! Engrossing reading material, or the opposite, sleep, will get you through it. Try some mind exercises if you find yourself straying into thought of "I'm over the water, yikes!". You'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailasmom View Post
I've flown from LA to Auckland too many times to count, it's 12 hours over water, and the best thing I can tell you is do your best to avoid boredom, you'll relax more that way! Engrossing reading material, or the opposite, sleep, will get you through it. Try some mind exercises if you find yourself straying into thought of "I'm over the water, yikes!". You'll be fine.
I recently had the privilege of flying Singapore Air from LA to Singapore. Total time in the air (also over water) - 18 hours with an hour layover in Japan. What a wonderful flight! The seats were kind of "wrap around" - so I felt like i was in my own apartment. I don't even recall seeing or talking to anyone near me. We each had our own entertainment center that was packed with music, games, books - all digital. I brought my iPod and never pulled it out of my carryon. The food was to die for, and this was in coach. They had menus and I could pick and choose what i wanted and when. The onboard bathrooms were roomy, which is also a plus on a long flight. I slept, read, played games, worked on my laptop, listened to music, meditated. Both directions were just a delight.

One thing that shows Singapore's exceptional service - i didn't realize we were going to go through Security when we got off the plane, so I had my bottle of water with me. They confiscated that. When I got back on the plane, I mentioned it to the flight attendant and she scurried off and got me one from the galley.

Actually, the most dangerous part of any air travel is getting on the freeway from your house to the airport!

And - as an alternative to all of this, you can always take a cruise out of LA or SF!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,542 times
Flew (round trip) from Anchorage Alaska non-stop to Honolulu, HI back in December and it was a lovely flight.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM

484 posts, read 822,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I recently had the privilege of flying Singapore Air from LA to Singapore. Total time in the air (also over water) - 18 hours with an hour layover in Japan. What a wonderful flight! The seats were kind of "wrap around" - so I felt like i was in my own apartment. I don't even recall seeing or talking to anyone near me. We each had our own entertainment center that was packed with music, games, books - all digital. I brought my iPod and never pulled it out of my carryon. The food was to die for, and this was in coach. They had menus and I could pick and choose what i wanted and when. The onboard bathrooms were roomy, which is also a plus on a long flight. I slept, read, played games, worked on my laptop, listened to music, meditated. Both directions were just a delight.

One thing that shows Singapore's exceptional service - i didn't realize we were going to go through Security when we got off the plane, so I had my bottle of water with me. They confiscated that. When I got back on the plane, I mentioned it to the flight attendant and she scurried off and got me one from the galley.

Actually, the most dangerous part of any air travel is getting on the freeway from your house to the airport!

And - as an alternative to all of this, you can always take a cruise out of LA or SF!
Unfortunately, the experience on American Airlines is "different." Care to purchase a snack box?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavis View Post
Aloha everyone.

The thread title might seem ridiculous but let me explain. I'm from London and I'll be going to Hawaii on holiday in early August.

I'm a frequent flyer but it has been mainly to other parts of Europe, Middle East, India and Far East Asia, so the flights have been mostly over ground. I have a thing about flights over water, I don't really know why.

I'll be flying on British Airways from London to San Francisco and then on American Airlines from SFO to Honolulu. The LHR-SFO flight doesn't worry me much because even if there are parts over water, the flight goes close to Greenland and then over Canada.

However, I'm getting a bit nervous about the San Francisco to Honolulu flight because it's straight over the ocean after leaving SFO and it goes on for 5 hours. All the time over the ocean until we reach Hawaii. In addition, I know AA uses the 757 in this flight, which doesn't seem like a suitable aircraft for a long flight.

Have you flown this route many times? How is it like? I've heard that because Hawaii is in the middle of the Pacific it gets lots of tropical storms, which aren't probably too good for flying. Are landings dangerous?

I know there's probably no reasoning behind this fear but what can I do, I still have it. I'd like to hear from your experience since there's no other way of reaching Hawaii other than jetting in (probably by ship too but that's not an option )
Well, if it's pirates you're worried about, it is hard to launch a boarding party of 33,000 ft and 500 kts. You'll be fine!!!! Now where is that damn flight insurance vendor.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,217 times
Most fears aren't entirely logical, therefore it's doubtful that evidence will be what dispels the fear of flying. Only good experiences will help alleviate the uncomfortable feeling, as well as facing whatever seed started the fear.

Since you know you will be uncomfortable, do what it takes to make yourself as comfortable as possible for the flight. Plan ahead, and be prepared.

- Wear very comfortable clothing. This will help you feel at ease and you won't be fussing with your too tight waistband or shoes.

- Bring along snacks and water. Buy a bottle of water at the airport, you don't want to add the fussiness of being dehydrated. Plus now you'll have the excuse of getting up to use the bathroom, so you can get out of your seat once in a while. I like having little munchies to nibble.

- See about getting an aisle seat. I think these are good for feeling less constricted, and you can see what's going on. Easier to get up now & then too.

- Bring along many ways to spend your time - device with movies loaded, or rent one from the airline. The $10 or so will be well worth immersing yourself in a couple of movies. Bring a book and magazines too. Sometimes it helps to do whatever is normal relaxing behavior. Maybe a couple of games on your device too, although I'd avoid anything stressful.

- Pencil and paper are good for distracting yourself by making lists or writing out any notes. You can plan your vacation, or make lists for next holiday cards. Anything to engage that future thinking part of your brain.

In essence, keep your brain busy with fun stuff instead of giving yourself time to worry about every noise and bump.

All that said, I've flown many times between Maui and California. In 7 years, only one turbulent trip, and that had no delays and a safe landing.

Best thing to remember - the pilots and crew want to get down safely too, so they will do everything necessary to make that happen.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:35 PM

70 posts, read 288,009 times
hi

next time you fly ...just make sure before hand

its not scheduled to C R A S H

xstonedrocker

Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Check out what the Lutheran Airlines guy has to say about crashing over water:

YouTube - ‪Lutheran Airlines‬‏

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't get why people are more afraid of flying over water.

Ever jump off a diving board into a swimming pool? Try doing that on dry ground.
Try jumping out of a ski boat doing 60 miles an hour. You'll skip along on top of the water just like you were on concrete.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM

121 posts, read 342,210 times
I guess only thing to say is, if it's your time to go, you gotta go. But you know, I've traveled in total darkness from NY to London, and I had my worries too - to AND from London. But if you want to get there quickly you just have to accept the fact that there's nothing you can do. When you take a flight, your life is basically out of your hands.

The doomed flight from Rio to Paris didn't help matters any either....have to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: