Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the Hawaii you vacation to is a whole lot different than the Hawaii you live in. For folks who like to travel or who want to save up money for retirement or live in a nicer house, the mainland would be a very attractive place to live.

Every once in awhile, I muse that it would be lovely to be able to see things like the Smithsonian, or to shop in those strange little shops that can't thrive without a large population base, visit an aquarium, etc. We are rather limited here on the island but there's things here which make it all worthwhile. I really really like it that my garden doesn't die each year like many of the mainland gardens do. That's one nice thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 PM

5,033 posts, read 6,307,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
I am tired of these people talking crap about getting island fever and are moving back to the mainland for that reason..... WAKE UP! I have lived in michigan all my life and people in other states feel just as stuck in their state as they would if they were on an island.
Many people I know and co-workers are too busy raising families, working, and etc to have the TIME and the MONEY to go cross country. And on the mainland those are the main important things on the mainland. Time and money, and people on the mainland get very pissed if you waste either of those things.
I have been around a lot of people in michigan and only the wealthy and the well to do get to go anywhere out of state that is worthwhile. Before myself and my wife moved to oahu we traveled quite a bit.
I have been to the bahamas, aruba, new orleans, chicago, to name a few places and I am not bragging about this, I work hard and feel blessed to have done this because many people don't.
So to all those people who have lived on the mainland and thinking of moving back to the rush rush go go of the mainland ask yourself this question....
How many roundtrips did you take in a year out of state (I am asking the middleclass like me) that was fun and worthwhile and not for a funeral or business.....
You may be surprised at the answer.... Especially with gas being as high as it is these days. Everyone I know in michigan are having picnics and staying home for vacation.... And I am not even going to comment on WINTER months...... Talking about island fever.......... ........
Try CABIN fever!!!
If you are leaving Hawai'i, then it should be to europe, the asian countries or my personal favorite Australia not back to the mainland. Go someplace just as wonderful as Hawai'i and not backwards to the land where there are more jerks than good people.............
I lived in Hawaii for nearly 7 years. I never personally had island fever, but I do know people who got it. However, I think you're way too quick to dismiss it. Try this: put a reinforced 2 x 4, six inches from the ground. Walk across it.

Now put that same 2 x 4, 100 feet from the ground. Walk across it.

Some people can do that second step and wouldn't think twice about it. Same path, same conditions, just an extra 100 feet; they could do it at six inches, why not in the air? Some couldn't do it to save their life because they suffer from fear of heights.

You mocking island fever is similar to someone who has no fear of heights mocking someone with a fear of heights. You don't have it; good for you. It doesn't make it less real.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
Hanabata days (small kid time) the family lived in the Midwest and we were always getting packed up into the car and would drive several states away to go camping. I suppose with five kids, the parents couldn't afford a motel but we traveled all over the place each summer. Folks can't do that on an island. You can't really pack the family up into the car and go off on vacation. Going camping when home is ten minutes away just doesn't quite seem like real camping somehow. We also don't have any options other than to take an air flight ($$$$) if we want to vacation anywhere other than here. Flying by air also means some sort of transport will have to be worked out on the other end. I can see why folks would get island fever, although I also think they are the sort who like to migrate in the first place if they've moved here from somewhere else. So there might be a predilection for travel in the transplants.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:28 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,425,133 times
I don't think that too many families can afford The Great American Road Trip anymore. Just get into the car and drive.

I took my child and did the multi-state thing, National Parks and meteor craters, but that was decades ago when I could buy gasoline for 50 cents a gallon and the Motel Six was $6 a night. Gas here is $4 a gallon this week. It must be much more than that in Hawaii.

I'm quite happy to camp 6 miles from home. Camping is camping; it's all good.

I suspect that some of the island fever thing comes from reduced income and realizing that there isn't any vacation money. Unhappiness gets misidentified.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:57 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,787,864 times
We often comment on the need to NOT have to go off island for a vacation. We have what we want right here! I feel totally lucky to live somewhere where, when I do a comparison, I realize that I have it best at home-sweet-home.

Our trips revolve around visiting family and friends.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:13 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,730,338 times
I wouldn't say I get "island fever" - but if I don't get off the island to either the mainland - or overseas - every 3 months or so I do go stir crazy - mainly because Oahu is a 20 by 40 mile island - I'm still at a point in my life where I enjoy and look forward to Paris, Hong Kong, London, NYC, DC, Chicago (where I grew up) - and my poker fix in Vegas. Maybe when I get to retirement age I'll want to stay put -but there is way more to experience in life than you can find in Hawaii.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I wouldn't say I get "island fever" - but if I don't get off the island to either the mainland - or overseas - every 3 months or so I do go stir crazy
There's a name for that. It's called Island Fever.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,730,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, we'll agree to disagree.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,425,133 times
[[[[......Paris, Hong Kong, London, NYC, DC, Chicago (where I grew up) - and my poker fix in Vegas........]]]]]]]

It doesn't matter where you are living, you are going to have to fly to see most of those places. If you can afford a trip to Paris while you are living in Fargo, then you can afford a trip to Paris while you are living in Hawaii. If you can't afford a trip to Paris, it matters very little where you live at the time; you still can't go.

I also think it doesn't matter where you are living, it is going to be more fun if you have enough money. In fact, I'll even make the generalization that the more money you have, the more fun it will be to live there, wherever "there" is.

I'm not discounting "island fever", but I also can see where it doesn't matter where you live, it is going to take money to travel. The only reason you would be "stuck" on Hawaii, would be if you could not afford a plane ticket.

You can feel just as stuck in San Diego, or Pittsburgh, or Tampa, if you don't have the disposable income to pack up and go. Or if you don't like your job and can't afford to quit, or you can't stand your neighbor and can't afford to move. This is not a problem unique to Hawaii.

Personally, I like exploring my surroundings, and there is an awful lot of exploring available in Hawaii. I intend to find plenty for myself to do.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say I get "island fever" - but if I don't get off the island to either the mainland - or overseas - every 3 months or so I do go stir crazy- mainly because Oahu is a 20 by 40 mile island - I'm still at a point in my life where I enjoy and look forward to Paris, Hong Kong, London, NYC, DC, Chicago (where I grew up) - and my poker fix in Vegas. Maybe when I get to retirement age I'll want to stay put -but there is way more to experience in life than you can find in Hawaii.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Quote:
Well, we'll agree to disagree.
OK, which of the most common meanings for "island fever" are you disagreeing with?

1) That middle tier song of the same name from the Beach Boys which proclaimed:
I've been pickin' up a love vibration
(Ooh, I got it bad)
I got the island fever
Comin' from a little island nation
(Ooh, I got it bad)
I got the island fever
2) The medical slang for tsutsugamushi disease?

3) The crude reference to having a sexual attraction to "island girls"?

4) The popular reference to (a) experiencing anxiety or psychological distress, over (b) being on an island too long, and (c) needing to get away to the mainland ... ??
"(c)if I don't get off the island to either the mainland - or overseas - every 3 months or so I (a) do go stir crazy- (b) mainly because Oahu is a 20 by 40 mile island "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: