U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 AM

28 posts, read 53,177 times
Default Hawaiian tel vs time warner cable internet service

Aloha! Hawaiian tel and time warner are having some great deals for internet. Any opinions on either service?

Mahalo for your opinion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 AM

1,127 posts, read 3,730,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-aloha View Post
Aloha! Hawaiian tel and time warner are having some great deals for internet. Any opinions on either service?
I've had Time Warner cable TV and Internet service on Oahu for 20 years - no problem.

Hawaiian Tel's entry into internet service is recent. I've had their telephone service for 20 years, with no personal problems, but they've had issues:

Hawaiian Telcom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,024,743 times
We have Hawaiian Tel's DSL service on Maui. We've upgraded to the faster level, but we still have to restart the network several times a week. Other than that, we have few outages, and the service is dependable and sufficient for our networking needs.

When it comes to speed, we have Comcast cable internet in a house we keep on the mainland, and its upload and download times seem faster than the DSL. We have not tried the Time-Warner Oceanic Roadrunner service here, so that's the only comparison I can offer. (We do have intermittent cable TV problems here MUCH more often than on the mainland, but I guess that's reasonable to expect on an island?)

Best of luck.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 PM

5,505 posts, read 8,717,961 times
Time Warner bundles their internet with the TV cable, whereas Hawaiian Tel bundles it with the phone line. We have the Roadrunner internet since we were getting the TV cable anyway. Although we also have the Hawaiian Tel phone since it stays working during disasters and cell phone service usually goes down during those times. So, I suppose we could have either one, but we have Roadrunner for internet, probably because it's what we already had before Hawaiian Tel came out with their internet options.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM

3,723 posts, read 2,689,737 times
I have Hawaiian Telcom on Maui. I love it. No caps (I think Time Warner has a cap). No service problems. And it's a local company. Why would you not choose to support the local option?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM

3,723 posts, read 2,689,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
We have Hawaiian Tel's DSL service on Maui. We've upgraded to the faster level, but we still have to restart the network several times a week. Other than that, we have few outages, and the service is dependable and sufficient for our networking needs.

When it comes to speed, we have Comcast cable internet in a house we keep on the mainland, and its upload and download times seem faster than the DSL. We have not tried the Time-Warner Oceanic Roadrunner service here, so that's the only comparison I can offer. (We do have intermittent cable TV problems here MUCH more often than on the mainland, but I guess that's reasonable to expect on an island?)

Best of luck.
It could be your modem. Maybe you could try asking for a new unit.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM

28 posts, read 53,177 times
Thank you for the help, think I will give Hawaiian tel a try. Will update with results!

Old 05-15-2014, 02:59 PM

1 posts, read 728 times
I've had Haw'n Tel for internet and phone for years now and now have their TV service too - I am very pleased with everything

Old Today, 05:04 PM

2 posts
MUST READ!!!
I HAD Oceanic up on Makakilo (Oahu) for about 3 years. I hated it. Everyday I had to reset the modem it timed out and I sat onhold for about 45 minutes a day for the Oceanic tech to try and figure it out. I switched to Hawaiian Tel to give them a shot. I got it and have had it over a year now, recently added TV and Phone service. I have had no problems with Hawaiian Tel and the TV picture quality is amazing compared to what was the Oceanic fuzzy tv. I also found out that Oceanic uses "HUBS" in every neighborhood that the lines (cable,internet,phone) is shared with up to 300 other people every day. So what happens is when the neighbors who share the lines with you get home and turn on their service, your speed drops and you get delays in the TV stopped freezes in TV and the internet does exactly what my problem was when I had them...its just lame and slow. Its their infrastructure it can not be helped until they rewire the entire island like Hawaiian Tel has been doing now for 3 years. Hawaiian Tel provides dedicated lines directly to you sharing with no one. So your speed stays the same. The guy that hooked me up actually saved us 60.00 a month witho-ut a contract and said he works for the promotions department in sales. Really nice guy so if you need some new service or wanna switch over to save money and get better service call this guy - 808-312-2174 Hope I was able to help...by the way all the negative stuff people say about Hawaiian Tels internet is true if they are talking about the old DSL they use in areas they have not got to yet to upgrade the street to Fiber yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii