U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 03:07 PM

430 posts, read 1,067,798 times

Advertisements

What I hate the most about Hawaii is that when I go there it takes me so LONG to let go of my "mainland" internal clock and slow down to enjoy the Island time.

O.Nana

Old 09-13-2007, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 25,035 times
Default Let me break it down to ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert simmons View Post
People who use the word haole to refer to caucasians. It means breathless, without soul. That would seem to apply to some locals too. Get it together, we are all the children of the earth. Aloha
Haole does NOT mean "breathless and without soul". I've heard that thrown around many times and it is completely false. The you speak about means to breathe or exale. Notice there is a kahako above the "a" which draws out the sound of the vowel. Notice as well that there is no kahako above the "a" in the word Haole. For Haole to mean what you say it does, it would have to look like this- Hā'ole.

Haole means foreigner. Not breathless or without soul. Its really just as simple as looking it up in the Hawaiian dictionary. There is no excuse for this confusion.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 10,977 times
Default thinking of moving to hawaii from alaska

All this is great information. I am a single mom thinking of moving from Anchorage Alaska to Honolulu or at least researching it. I need to know what I would be getting into.
I hate the winters. The summer are great though, any feedback would be great.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but this is just to add a little balance.
Gigantic size cockroaches that fly. Gigantic centipedes with attitudes like the one that chased us down the hall and my son had to kill with a hammer (ducktaped to a broom handle because I wouldn't get any closer than that lol) Coqui invasion. That's it...but then I live on the Big Island. It's more mellow here...I hear we have problems with ice and other drugs, but no worse than all the meth labs and crazies in Oregon. And not being in a big city, the crime rate is much lower (although Honolulu's got a low crime rate compared to most cities its size). And since we moved up to 4,000 ft elevation (near Volcano National Park) we haven't had seen any of the top two, and not until about one week ago did we hear the loud chirp of coqui. Apparently one and its mate hitchhiked up he. [Jaws music plays] Aloha Cindy Moderator cut: link deleted

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-08-2007 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: please do not use your own website as a signature ...it's ok to have it on you profile as I see you've already done. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:32 AM

118 posts, read 568,814 times
Will we ever learn to appreciate how good we mostly have it as Americans - especially in Hawaii? I don't hate anything about Hawaii !!! You ALL have legitimate gripes that need to be addressed - like every other place on earth, but remember - try to be happy about ALL the great things Hawaii offers; it will make your life more pleasant. It could be sooooo much worse.

Think about doing something to improve your surroundings. Don't sit on the sidelines and just gripe - that's not helping yourself. It doesn't matter if it's just a little effort, your actions multiply exponentially when each of your acts are combined. Start with your own backyard, your subdivision, your town. Just simply smile sometimes at others and see how it easily it can return goodwill to you.

I'm such an idealist and optimist about the human race, I realize that and it makes me laugh at myself all the time, but that's not such a bad thing is it?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 AM

11 posts, read 40,222 times
This is cool, Hawaii even has trailer parks.
It really is the USA , Hometown all the way.
Well Know matter . Hawaii isn't Only about the people to me that live there. Its more about the land and the sea and how they come together to me. People everywhere seem to be the same, Main land or small island. They sometimes can be annoying. But still cute and amusing .

Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 10,823 times
Default Disgusted

I am white and I am moving to Oahu from New York where I have lived my entire life. I was really excited to move to Hawaii because it's always been my dream to visit but then omg I got the chance to live there!!! I am now fearful as a white person to moving to Hawaii. There seem to be too many rules that I have to follow and I feel like I better keep my mouth shut about things or else. I have heard that it would be disrespectful for me to speak of missing the mainland where I grew up and lived my entire life.

What I hate about Hawaii and I haven't even moved there yet:

-That I will be judged poorly based on where I come from and what I look like.

I am sincerely hoping that upon arriving to my new home that people aren't as unaccepting as the forums that I have read have made them sound. I know that I am a good person and I hope peoples judgements of me are not based on what I look like but WHO I AM.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:42 PM

5,599 posts, read 15,974,293 times
Just a warning ...I deleted a bunch of posts that were nothing but personal attacks and name calling. We can't tolerate such conversations going on within threads. This is not that kind of message board and any similar discussions that turn into personal attacks will be deleted. Name calling and personal attacks within threads are against the T.O.S. so take them off the forum please. Thanks.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:27 PM

1,375 posts, read 5,368,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicen View Post
I am sincerely hoping that upon arriving to my new home that people aren't as unaccepting as the forums that I have read have made them sound. I know that I am a good person and I hope peoples judgements of me are not based on what I look like but WHO I AM.
Alicen....

One thing about these forums that I have noticed is that the conversations can get fairly intense. With several people contributing strong feelings about things that have happened over the course of a long time period, it can begin to sound like Hawaii is a scary place to live.

However, in my day to day life in the real world, these negatives are not really a part of my experience. I can't even think of the last time I encountered a situation where I felt judged or slighted in any way.

What gets expressed in these forums are real personal experiences--I don't mean to diminish the validity of anyone's experience. There are bad things that happen. But I will say, that outside this forum, I very rarely engage in conversations like this, because I'm too busy living a generally positive life with co-workers and friends who are just as busy getting things done and/or enjoying a peaceful lifestyle.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:15 PM

850 posts, read 3,779,681 times
it's really a matter of attitude. both from kama'aina (native born) and malihini (newcomer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii