Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:42 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,006,237 times

Advertisements

Ok, first, I'm a volunteer and I'm human. I try as much as I can to be fair. I'm getting numerous complaints about how I'm doing my job.

I'm asking some of you to read the T.O.S. and also be cognizant of basic message board etiquette.

Some of those points being:

* threads have to be kept on topic in order to prevent thread drift.

* no personal attacks. no rude comments. no obscene language.

* when an inflamatory post occurs, report it immediately or DM me directly.

* don't play into the inflammatory post but report it.

Among other things, I'm being accused of favoritism and only letting positive things be said in the threads here. Believe me, that's not the truth. I'm not trying to edit out any negative points being said about living in Hawaii but when things turn into flame wars about negative or racist aspects, I have shut those threads down.

You can discuss all the negative aspects you want but don't personally attack the posts' author but rather attack the idea or the concept being discussed. You're all free to express any thought, negative or positive, but you are not allowed to call someone a name or to personally attack another poster. Debate the ideas only, please.

Thank you.

--'rocco

Old 09-21-2007, 05:03 PM

13 posts, read 119,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicen View Post
I am white and I am moving to Oahu from New York where I have lived my entire life. I was really excited to move to Hawaii because it's always been my dream to visit but then omg I got the chance to live there!!! I am now fearful as a white person to moving to Hawaii. There seem to be too many rules that I have to follow and I feel like I better keep my mouth shut about things or else. I have heard that it would be disrespectful for me to speak of missing the mainland where I grew up and lived my entire life.

What I hate about Hawaii and I haven't even moved there yet:

-That I will be judged poorly based on where I come from and what I look like.

I am sincerely hoping that upon arriving to my new home that people aren't as unaccepting as the forums that I have read have made them sound. I know that I am a good person and I hope peoples judgements of me are not based on what I look like but WHO I AM.
Just to address the issue earlier of my argument, Im sorry if I made hawaii a scarier place to live in any way, It's just that I did feel that I and my people (micronesians in general) were being personally attacked when it wasn't needed, and I felt I needed to defend myself any many other people I know. That's all.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:05 PM

99 posts, read 465,937 times
Wink don't worry

Quote:
I am white and I am moving to Oahu from New York where I have lived my entire life. I was really excited to move to Hawaii because it's always been my dream to visit but then omg I got the chance to live there!!! I am now fearful as a white person to moving to Hawaii. There seem to be too many rules that I have to follow and I feel like I better keep my mouth shut about things or else. I have heard that it would be disrespectful for me to speak of missing the mainland where I grew up and lived my entire life.

I am sincerely hoping that upon arriving to my new home that people aren't as unaccepting as the forums that I have read have made them sound. I know that I am a good person and I hope peoples judgements of me are not based on what I look like but WHO I AM.
Take what you learn on this thread as a grain of salt. There are myriad factors other than race that contribute to how happy you will be here in Hawaii. Race is only one of many, many other factors. What I have found as a newbie is that certain types of people like to obsess about race more than others and there are definitely oversensitive Hawaiians living here. Utopia doesn't exist anywhere on earth. There are pros and cons to living anywhere especially in the U.S.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM

Question cockroaches where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy Blankenship View Post
Gigantic size cockroaches that fly. Gigantic centipedes with attitudes like the one that chased us down the hall and my son had to kill with a hammer (ducktaped to a broom handle because I wouldn't get any closer than that lol) Coqui invasion. That's it...but then I live on the Big Island. It's more mellow here...I hear we have problems with ice and other drugs, but no worse than all the meth labs and crazies in Oregon. And not being in a big city, the crime rate is much lower (although Honolulu's got a low crime rate compared to most cities its size). And since we moved up to 4,000 ft elevation (near Volcano National Park) we haven't had seen any of the top two, and not until about one week ago did we hear the loud chirp of coqui. Apparently one and its mate hitchhiked up he. [Jaws music plays] Aloha Cindy Eco Hawaii Vacation Guide

I live in Oahu near the stadium and I have never see one single cockroach - not one and before I moved to Hawaii I had nightmares of sleeping under my covers for protection from those nasty critters. I also ended up getting a stockpile of Raid, but for nothing. Where are all of these cockroaches? Maybe the apartment complex I live in is just too squeaky clean to appeal to them.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:02 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,288,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffan28 View Post
I live in Oahu near the stadium and I have never see one single cockroach - not one and before I moved to Hawaii I had nightmares of sleeping under my covers for protection from those nasty critters. I also ended up getting a stockpile of Raid, but for nothing. Where are all of these cockroaches? Maybe the apartment complex I live in is just too squeaky clean to appeal to them.
Lucky you! I lived in Salt Lake for a while and saw the biggest cockroaches I've ever seen, before or since! We were in an older house, though. Usually it was just one or two here and there, but I had a few friends over for a movie one night and we noticed something moving above the sliding doors to the lanai...a few minutes later is was a caravan of about 12 giant cockroaches marching across our ceiling. Most bizarre cockroach experience of mine to date...second place was the night one flew at a teacher friend of mine in Ewa Beach. She was in a second story appt and the next thing we knew she was in the parking lot screaming. We laughed until we cried!

Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 PM

11 posts, read 44,731 times
Default Fair Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Ok, first, I'm a volunteer and I'm human. I try as much as I can to be fair. I'm getting numerous complaints about how I'm doing my job.

I'm asking some of you to read the T.O.S. and also be cognizant of basic message board etiquette.

Some of those points being:

* threads have to be kept on topic in order to prevent thread drift.

* no personal attacks. no rude comments. no obscene language.

* when an inflamatory post occurs, report it immediately or DM me directly.

* don't play into the inflammatory post but report it.

Among other things, I'm being accused of favoritism and only letting positive things be said in the threads here. Believe me, that's not the truth. I'm not trying to edit out any negative points being said about living in Hawaii but when things turn into flame wars about negative or racist aspects, I have shut those threads down.

You can discuss all the negative aspects you want but don't personally attack the posts' author but rather attack the idea or the concept being discussed. You're all free to express any thought, negative or positive, but you are not allowed to call someone a name or to personally attack another poster. Debate the ideas only, please.

Thank you.

--'rocco
Ok point well taken.
Its not an easy job to watch over peoples emotions. I find many good things said in discussions and reading them has been interesting. Sorta like sitting in a tavern sometimes though, ( I don't drink )
Best of luck
Mike

Old 09-22-2007, 12:15 AM

I have seen quite a few getkos and those tiny ants are annoying. The getkos freak me out.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:38 AM

7 posts, read 35,230 times
Default Reasons I'm moving

I like the peace here, the nature, the community, the enthusiasm, and spiritual values.

Don't like and frustrations: Housing and grocery costs, demanding tourists, flaky people who have no direction and think they know everything about everything, flaky people who take advantage of people, people who are 25 or older and have the social maturity of a 15 year old, and the lack of opportunity due to a lack of adult education classes about anything besides enlightenment. I also think the tensions between haoles, Hawaiians, and Filipinos is ridiculous. I see intelligent haoles generalizing Hawaiians when they should know better and vice versa. Not all Hawaiians are on ice or are tacky and some haoles are these things. Also, just because Hawaii is very beautifull does not mean that it is the only beautiful place in the world. A lot of people here seem to make such judgement. P.S. the community energy about the superferry is great, imagine if we got so excited about GMOs or the lack of medicaid for anyone making over $400 a month? Honestly though, I realy do love this place, though I'm just a visitor and my time here is almost complete. I am grateful for the spirit on these islands and that does include the community. Many positive things here. Aloha

Old 09-22-2007, 03:12 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,544,702 times
I'm thinking of starting a "Rent a gecko" service here on Maui. I could provide you with a few pedigree mosquito eating, baby cockroach devouring gecko's at a very low initial monthly rate. If they go after whiteflies there would be a slight additional charge. My cats aren't cutting it on the mouse deal, so I'm branching out.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-22-2007, 09:00 AM

65 posts, read 376,492 times
Quote:

All the stuff being posted about how Haloe's are disliked in Hawaii are as true as the stories being told about how Haloe's are somehow mistreated in our schools compared to people of different backgrounds.

Some people just need a shoulder to cry on, just don't make Hawaii look bad when you do, because you could just as easily make the foreigners that come here look just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii