U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 PM

56 posts, read 52,513 times
Yeah, if you are scared of spiders you do NOT want to live in wahiawa. And for the most part spiders and other creepy crawlers are pretty much unavoidable anywhere in hawaii. Spiders, centipedes, scorpianes, millipedes...you'll see them. I've lived in honolulu (kakaako area), pearl city, wahiawa, and makakilo and you see them everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 12:38 AM

5,580 posts, read 6,740,593 times
Fear the centipedes. Big tootsie rolls with legs.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM

271 posts, read 243,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agita_san View Post
Yeah, if you are scared of spiders you do NOT want to live in wahiawa. And for the most part spiders and other creepy crawlers are pretty much unavoidable anywhere in hawaii. Spiders, centipedes, scorpianes, millipedes...you'll see them. I've lived in honolulu (kakaako area), pearl city, wahiawa, and makakilo and you see them everywhere.

Maybe we can use them to burn, as an alternative energy source...CCF-Creepy Crawler Fuel.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM

129 posts, read 155,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Avoid cane spiders - well, definitely avoid sugar cane fields!
I lived miles from any cane field, and had cane spiders. Always, one in every room. Not two, not zero, but one. High on the wall, watching you, waiting for that critical moment.

It might be possible to get away from them by going to a higher elevation, but I can't say for sure. I never saw any when I lived on Mauna Kea at 9,000. Or maybe I just don't remember. Because you see them, but that's all that ever happens. So you sort of remember that they're there, but that's the beginning and end of the story. They don't do anything.

After living half my life in Hawaii, I move back to the mainland, and think it's funny how so many people are so afraid of spiders. If you have a problem with spiders, bugs in general for that matter, you'll have a hard time adjusting. I'm not kidding when I say I miss the little guys. I look at the ground, and say, "Where are all the bugs? What's wrong?'

Where I live now, there are rattlesnakes, cougars, bears, badgers, plus a few kinds of poisonous spiders, and of course, centipedes.

Paradise is a state of mind.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:59 PM

129 posts, read 155,191 times
They also like to crawl around in your pubic hair when you sleep, and they can span your eye socket and squirt goo in your eyeballs when you wake up, which makes you see zombies.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:42 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,820,991 times
When I first moved to Hawaii, I was terrified of bugs. I lived in a pretty infested place (it was in the woods, bottom level..) and had to deal with centipedes, roaches and cane spiders on a constant basis. I can proudly say that has time passed, I have gotten MUCH more accepting with bugs. I definitely needed some alcohol to get me through it at first....

so you CAN adjust!

Old 10-16-2011, 04:57 PM

271 posts, read 243,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
When I first moved to Hawaii, I was terrified of bugs. I lived in a pretty infested place (it was in the woods, bottom level..) and had to deal with centipedes, roaches and cane spiders on a constant basis. I can proudly say that has time passed, I have gotten MUCH more accepting with bugs. I definitely needed some alcohol to get me through it at first....

so you CAN adjust!

Drinking alcohol sounds like an idea, but, many people see things after doing so, like..dead people and "spirits". BUT, bugs and spiders scare them off too! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii