Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,159 times

Advertisements

Hi, so glad I found this site.

I haven't made my mind yet about moving to Hawaii. I have been reading all types of comments.

-So,I have never been to Asia and I have never lived anywhere where there is a big asian influence so I don't know what it is like.
According to Wikipedia "A large proportion of Hawaii's population is now of Asian ancestry (especially Chinese, Japanese and Filipino.)

Me, being the minority ...Will I have a hard time meeting people? please be honest!

-I have a degree in Hospitality Management, I read that If I don't speak japanese or korean, some hotels wont even hire me? is that information correct?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,603,686 times
Speaking a language often used by the guest is a plus. If two people about equal in qualification were for the same job and one spoke japanese and the other didn;t which would you hire? You don;t have to speak it and many people are working for hotels and resorts who only speak english. but it may be that edge needed to get the job.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,730,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicraig View Post
Hi, so glad I found this site.

I haven't made my mind yet about moving to Hawaii. I have been reading all types of comments.

-So,I have never been to Asia and I have never lived anywhere where there is a big asian influence so I don't know what it is like.
According to Wikipedia "A large proportion of Hawaii's population is now of Asian ancestry (especially Chinese, Japanese and Filipino.)

Me, being the minority ...Will I have a hard time meeting people? please be honest!

-I have a degree in Hospitality Management, I read that If I don't speak japanese or korean, some hotels wont even hire me? is that information correct?

Thank you.
Perhaps an extended vacation to Hawaii to check it out might be something you should consider before taking on such a big move.

Do you meet people easily where you live now? Are you open-minded about other cultures? If so, you shouldn't have a problem in Hawaii. If you don't already meet people easily - then you will probably have the same experience here.

Many jobs require Japanese - some say, Japanese a plus - but there are plenty of jobs where you don't need to know Japanese. Certainly learning Japanese can only help - if you make the move, you may want to consider Rosetta Stone. 幸運

Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,446,214 times
No, places will hire you. It is probably a bit easier if you could speak Japanese but its not required unless the position is for a japanese speaking position (some hotels have japanese speaking guest services managers/associates dedicated to japanese gsts).

Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM

124 posts, read 430,564 times
To take it a step further, some properties specialize in accomodating Japanese guests, and many others do not. There are a fair number of corporate Japanese owned properties in the islands too.

If I was much younger, I'd learn Chinese. I think the demand for people who can accomodate the needs of the Chinese traveler to Hawai'i will be huge in the next decade.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,343,290 times
If I were a young person seeking work in the hotel industry of Hawaii today, I would definitely make an effort to learn Japanese. Everything everyone said above, is true - you can certainly find a job, but being fluent in Japanese would be a real positive addition to your resume.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,607,070 times
It is not required but it doesn't hurt either. I worked hotel security and valet in Waikiki for years, I only spoke enough Japanese to pick up on tourist girls.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM

16,284 posts, read 42,962,695 times
I live in Japan, and my Japanese isn't that great.

I'd think that if you knew some Japanese, it would certainly be a novelty. But I doubt if anyone is expecting you to break out fluent Japanese.

Most Japanese do study English, regardless if they are good at speaking it or not. There are also tons of other Japanese, that if they have problems/issues, they'll be talking to their friends, co-workers, family and referring to dozens of other resources that already are in Japanese.

I could definitely see that someone who knew fluent Japanese would find some employment centered around that. But someone who didn't know Japanese, certainly wouldn't be excluded from the job market whatsoever.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:39 AM

69 posts, read 75,541 times
No need to speak Japanese. This is one of the United States so we speak English here!! Of course being bilingual is always an asset but not a requirement! If you treat people kindly, they will treat people the same way!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:12 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,567,770 times
Domo Origato Mr. Robato?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii