Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 10,468 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently got accepted to UH as an Anthropology major. I am planning on moving anytime from January to May depending on my financial aid. i haveheard so many mixed feelings about Hawaii when it comes to families moving over and couples but I feel like it is somuch different for singles and for example in my case a full time student I am 19 and I was born and raised in Miami,Fl. I am a little scared about how everything is going to be (living away from my family), yet i don't know if it will be too much of a culture shock since Miami is very tropical and fast paced.I am very interested in the culture and love the asian influence , would love the change.Hawaii seems like a perfect place for field work opportunities. I know it is not complete paradise and it has its pros and con,If any one is in somewhat of the same situation or has anything (Positive or Negative) to share about student life in Hawaii or University of Hawaii please feel free ! It would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
I am the mother of a UH student. She came over as a freshman from AZ and we followed her a couple years later. She enjoyed living in the dorms and pretty much everyone in the dorms are from the mainland or outer islands, so its an opportunity to bond with kids in the same boat.

The biggest issue will be money and flying time for you. Will you or your family be able to fly you back for holidays and summer? Even to AZ we usually had to miss Thanksgiving together, as a 6 hr flight each way was too long for a short weekend trip, plus being so close to Christmas.

The school is not too big and everyone is really friendly, plus the beaches are SOOO much better in Hawaii than Florida that I can't even understand the threads comparing the two!

You can pm me if you want me to ask my DD anything specific!

Good luck!

Last edited by Joliefille; 10-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 AM

49 posts, read 157,179 times
Hi, I think you will be fine, you are very young and also will be a full time student,If money isn't an issue, you definitely will do fine.
This might also help you out,There is a student housing in Waikiki, I don't know much about the cost, but some girl told me is quite affordable considering is Hawaii. here is the link to the website Hawaii Student Housing Apartments, 2280 Kuhio Avenue Honolulu, HI - Apartments for Rent on ApartmentGuide.com | Honolulu Hawaii | 85663 .Since you are coming alone, maybe you should consider a student housing, there will be plenty of other students from your same age,situation, and interests. it will also help you to make friends quickly

About the culture shock.. Having lived in Miami as well, basically replace the latino influence in Miami for the Asian and you have Honolulu, you are on the right track since you said you love the asian influence.

Hawaii has its pros and cons, there are a lot of things I definitely don't like about living here but Im also young and all up for new adventures, and as I mentioned in the beginning If you have the funds and the financial support to afford the high cost of living of Hawaii, go for it. If not please do your research carefully . good luck!

Last edited by jennypal; 11-11-2011 at 02:25 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
The flight to and from Florida is brutal, but other than that, you'll do great in Hawaii.

It won't be anywhere near as flat as Miami and the foliage is more lush, probably because there is soil and not sand for it to grow in. Also, there isn't ANYTHING trying to kill and eat you hiding in the grass! No alligators, no snakes. Folks go outside without having to be concerned about being bitten by anything larger than a mosquito.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii