Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM

140 posts, read 407,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no grazing allowed. i have seen many a mom watch her kid eat the hershey bar in line and not pay for it
problem is we gota generation of people that see no problem in petty theft.
agreed. i don't know why they didn't just pay for the sandwiches first then eat them while in the store. you hold on to the receipt to prove you paid for them. i understand she was feeling light headed, but that's no excuse for the husband as well. he could have went up to the counter and paid for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kualoa View Post
Safeway is certainly guilty of poor judgement as well as creating a public relations nightmare for themselves. The HPD should also have shown some common sense. Zero tolerence, black and white decisions rarely work out, especially in the case of an "alleged" petty theft crime. The police officer should have shown common sense and took a report and forwarded it to the prosecutors office for review pending charges. What a waste of government resources, especially considering that child protective services had to get involved. Unbelievable.....
Are the $5 sandwiches those in the plastoc container with the clear cover? If so, how does a person forget about those containers when checking out? I mean thats like forgetting to check out a can of corn.

Does not safeway also have cctv in use by the security? Maybe they saw them eat it and somewhere along the way, those packages ended up stuck between the vanilla wafers and ritz crackers. We see that when shopping a open empty package stuck someplece it shouldn;t be.

I also think the police don;t arrest on petty theft if ID can be established unless they saw something on video or suspected that a attempt to hide the crime.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
I agree that HPD or whoever decided to call CPS and remove the child over-reacted, but come on...I've been pregnant, I've had a kid whining that they were hungry, but we NEVER ate anything in the store prior to check out. That happens to be one of my pet peeves. Grown ups failing to anticipate hunger or thirst for themselves or their kids. Sheesh.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I agree that HPD or whoever decided to call CPS and remove the child over-reacted, but come on...I've been pregnant, I've had a kid whining that they were hungry, but we NEVER ate anything in the store prior to check out. That happens to be one of my pet peeves. Grown ups failing to anticipate hunger or thirst for themselves or their kids. Sheesh.
Well said.

Agree could've been handled better by the STORE, by the POLICE, and the PARENTS! When you leave without paying for something you risk the consequences whether you intended to do that or not. There needs be some personal responsibility here.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
So the pregnant lady ate her sandwich inside the store, right? Never being pregnant, I will give her a pass. Did the father eat a sandwich inside the store too? That part seems kind weird to me!

Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Safeway apologized and dropped charges according to KHNL (NBC) on tonight's news. Everyone is reviewing procedures.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM

270 posts, read 506,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well said.

Agree could've been handled better by the STORE, by the POLICE, and the PARENTS! When you leave without paying for something you risk the consequences whether you intended to do that or not. There needs be some personal responsibility here.

And everywhere else, too.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Safeway apologized and dropped charges according to KHNL (NBC) on tonight's news. Everyone is reviewing procedures.
Here's a link to a follow-up article...
Safeway drops charges against couple accused of shoplifting - Hawaii News - Staradvertiser.com

The article mentions...
The family had moved to an apartment near downtown Honolulu from Monterey, Calif., two weeks ago. Still settling in, they ventured out Wednesday to stock up on groceries, took the bus, got lost, and ended up at a Safeway supermarket, Nicole said.
It's unfortunate that the Leszczynskis didn't visit CD before moving from Monterey to Honolulu. If the "shopeating" incident wasn't a ruse on their part to extort money from Safeway, it shows a lack of planning, preparation, and common sense.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Well, I been reading all this back and forth ... those folks moved over from Monterey with valid expectations ... seems to me people have forgotten Hawaii was known as the "Sandwich Islands" right from the start, you know ...

... just sayin'

Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, I been reading all this back and forth ... those folks moved over from Monterey with valid expectations ... seems to me people have forgotten Hawaii was known as the "Sandwich Islands" right from the start, you know ...

... just sayin'
I guess they expected Hawai'i to be a place where the "livin' is easy and the sandwiches are free"...

I wonder if such a fuss would've been made if the couple had forgotten to pay for eating spam musubi, instead of chicken salad sandwiches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: