U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:43 PM
 
49 posts, read 86,304 times
Reputation: 62

Advertisements

Hello people...just this question out of curiosity...why are there so many homeless in Hawaii? I live in Waikiki and at night almost every bus stop has a homeless person sleeping in. Also on Kuhio avenue every night is full of working girls. I asked a cab driver and he says the reason is Hawaii doesnt have a loitering law..is that information correct? I see the police every night on kuhio avenue but I never see them saying anything to them. In other states working girls arent allowed to walk on just any street, thats is why my question.I notice also during the day a lot of the homeless get drunk and start disturbing the tourist that wait for the buses. Altough I rarely see them asking for money..weird. If you dont believe you can go to the bus stops on food pantry and the bus stop on kuhio and kaiulani. you'll see them everyday.

Last edited by jennypal; 11-05-2011 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Macao
12,930 posts, read 19,501,933 times
Reputation: 6511
I didn't notice that many homeless, compared to California and other places. The Honolulu ones seemed quite respectful comparitively.

The working girls are also a bit different. They're in the States as well, but looked crack-destroyed on the mainland. The ones I saw around Waikiki anyways, they just looked like callgirls out for a stroll. Russians, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:52 PM
 
7,151 posts, read 4,306,797 times
Reputation: 3806
I repeat: High % of the "girls" on Kuhio -- aren't ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Status: "Stones do not have life!" (set 13 hours ago)
 
Location: Kailua
5,277 posts, read 4,330,969 times
Reputation: 2096
I lived 1 winter in Portland and thought the homeless were everywhere, just looked it up, and yep - Oregon leads the nation in proportion to population - Hawaii is 3rd behind Nevada.

Oregon leads nation in homeless count
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:00 PM
 
49 posts, read 86,304 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I didn't notice that many homeless, compared to California and other places. The Honolulu ones seemed quite respectful comparitively.

The working girls are also a bit different. They're in the States as well, but looked crack-destroyed on the mainland. The ones I saw around Waikiki anyways, they just looked like callgirls out for a stroll. Russians, etc.
Tigerbeer ...do you live in Honolulu?? I have never seen this many homeless ever in my life, the other day I went to the regal cinemas and the whole area is full by homeless people, its pretty sad. I have never lived in California so maybe they have a bigger problem than Hawaii.
If you were in Hawaii as a tourist, the answer is pretty obvious, when you come for vacation even if you see trash on the streets you are never gonna notice it..you are on vacation, thinking on happiness.
the working girls on Waikiki, are prostitutes, If my boyfriend and I dont hold hands they start approaching him. its true. And I would like to know what the authorities think about this on a touristy area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:07 PM
 
49 posts, read 86,304 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I lived 1 winter in Portland and thought the homeless were everywhere, just looked it up, and yep - Oregon leads the nation in proportion to population - Hawaii is 3rd behind Nevada.

Oregon leads nation in homeless count
wow! but do you think there should be homeless taking over the bus stops on a touristy area like Waikiki? I mean it's ridiculous you can't sit on any bench cause they are either sleeping there or have the bus as their homes. during the day a lot of them are drunk and start disturbing on people. If you do not believe me ...you can confirm it yourself going to those bus stops. I wonder if this should be allowed, or if the police can do something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Status: "Stones do not have life!" (set 13 hours ago)
 
Location: Kailua
5,277 posts, read 4,330,969 times
Reputation: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
wow! but do you think there should be homeless taking over the bus stops on a touristy area like Waikiki? I mean it's ridiculous you can't sit on any bench cause they are either sleeping there or have the bus as their homes. during the day a lot of them are drunk and start disturbing on people. If you do not believe me ...you can confirm it yourself going to those bus stops. I wonder if this should be allowed, or if the police can do something about it.
Spend some time in Portland - they are far more aggressive - they not only take over bus stops but sit in front of all the stores with signs and block your way.

With that said, the homeless problem is a problem - usually not enough shelters and not everyone wants to be in a shelter. Just arresting them all the time isn't a deterrant. I don't have the answers to Hawaii's homeless issues or anywhere else - it is a sad situation all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 PM
 
49 posts, read 86,304 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Spend some time in Portland - they are far more aggressive - they not only take over bus stops but sit in front of all the stores with signs and block your way.

With that said, the homeless problem is a problem - usually not enough shelters and not everyone wants to be in a shelter. Just arresting them all the time isn't a deterrant. I don't have the answers to Hawaii's homeless issues or anywhere else - it is a sad situation all around.
it definetely is a sad situation, I strongly believe the police should make a better effort to make Waikiki a safer place just because Hawaii basically rely on tourists and tourism is the main supporter for the hawaiian economy. When I lived in Miami there were working girls and homeless but on the main tourist areas like south beach you wouldnt see them hanging out right in front of your hotel like in Waikiki.. here, you can go to the Ohana east on Kaiulani avenue and you'll see these working girls hanging out right in front of the lobby. How can that happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Jupiter, FL
1,173 posts, read 1,109,528 times
Reputation: 812
I've never been to Hawaii, but the weather has to be a big factor. It's painful to be homeless in the bitter cold winters of the North or the Midwest. In Hawaii, it's just not very uncomfortable to be outdoors all night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
 
7,151 posts, read 4,306,797 times
Reputation: 3806
You are aware that with APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) in Honolulu starting next week, the city is over-run with "working girls" for a couple weeks? The police have lots of security issues of greater concern ... the conference is a BIG deal and a HUGE security risk. The girls have been flying in on every flight for weeks.

I find the homeless in Honolulu normally very benign by comparison to other west coast cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top