Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times

Advertisements

I normally only recommend moving to Hawaii to those people who really have had a long dream of moving to Hawaii. It's something they really want. Because those people are going to be willing to make the sacrifices necessary to make it work ... whatever their income level.

But your original post indicates you want to move to the West Coast or Hawaii and you want to move to better your life and attend college.

I personally would choose California. Especially if you income is going to be about the same if you transfer to Hawaii or transfer to California.

There are many cool small cities or town in California that will give you a better shot at "bettering your life" (IN MY OPINION) than Hawaii. You'll have many more cities to choose from, with many more colleges to choose from, with many more cost of living options in CA than in HI.

Everyone always thinks only of San Francisco, Los Angeles or San Diego when they think about CA. But there are lots of great small cities with good educational opportunities and a lower cost of living than Hawaii.

San Louis Obispo is an awesome college town. Probably has a Walmart. You can rent an apartment in SLO or one of the neighboring communities (like Los Osos, Pismo Beach, Morrow Bay, etc) for a reasonable price.

But that is only one of hundreds of great small college / community college towns where your income will go farther than in Hawaii and where you will be better able to better you future. (again, in my opinion).

Also, I suspect you may have more opportunities when you graduate from college in CA than in HI.

Now, if you've always dreamed of HI and are willing to make whatever sacrifices necessary to live there, then that's a different story. One thing about Honolulu (not sure about the other islands) that a lot of people don't realize: most of the "reasonably priced apartments" that you'll find and be able to afford (unless you get roommates or are making really good money) is going to be in a building that is pretty awful. I'm talking about 3-story cinderblock "walk-up" buildings that are pretty dirty looking and run down. And honestly, that's "the norm" in most reasonably priced neighborhoods in Honolulu. Just walk a couple blocks outside of waikiki and look around. However, if you want to pay $1,500 / mnth you can get a decent 1-bdrm in a decent building. But you may sacrifice your college to pay your rent.

If Hawaii has not been a long time dream, and you really are serious about wanting to work in order to pay for your education to better your life, take a long hard look at some of the great smaller communities in CA that have a Walmart and a small college. San Louis Obispo, Palm Springs area, Santa Cruz, Watsonville, Eureka, Sacramento. Blah, blah blah.

Anyway, just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Actually, since your choices are limited to Walmart locations, make a list of all the Walmart locations.

Then make a list of the things and amenities you want in the place you live in.

Then make a chart with all the locations going down and the stuff you want in your town in order of importance across the top. Google each Walmart site and see how many of the items you can check off on your chart. Blue for Yes, Red for No and leave it blank if you don't know. After you make the chart, where to move will be glaringly obvious, I'd guess.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:07 PM

270 posts, read 506,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY1986 View Post
Hi everyone; I've been planning to relocate out west and for a while now I've been considering Hawaii. Anyhow.. I'm eligible for relocation with my job at Walmart selling electronics, and I want to ask a few questions.. I plan to take a week long trip to either Hawaii or California and check some things out but I don't wanna go to say.. Hawaii and end up realizing I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Anyhow.. I plan to move wherever I go with my job and get a one bedroom apartment, and most likely attend a local community college and advance in life.

I HAVE heard that due to Hawaii being islands, it is rather expensive to purchase well.. anything. Is this true? I want to relocate out West for sure soon, but I'm unsure whether or not Hawaii is affordable. Thanks.

This site is an example (based here, on a $50,000 salary amount); use whatever you desire to check. :Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
NYC vs HonoluluModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
There are other salary / cost calculators as well, out there.

You of course may compare Hilo too. Other costs would need to added as you determine. Shipping is the cost factor affecting a lot, and applies similarly in the USVI, Puerto Rico, or any island. Transportation travel costs, as others have said are obvious.
Here is the general costs in USVI area by island, with forum comments as well, to compare from that viewpoint:
Apartments in the Virgin Islands - USVI Relocation Guide

What seemed helpful to me was placing yourself into a "mental state of actually being there" with daily living, and expectations, based upon practical reality of the location. Ask questions: Will I really be at the beach -how often? Do I need (fill in the blank)? As the old adage says: "Know thyself and to thine own self be true" .
Best success!

Last edited by Yac; 11-29-2011 at 06:16 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 AM

49 posts, read 157,179 times
Quote:
Hi everyone; I've been planning to relocate out west and for a while now I've been considering Hawaii. Anyhow.. I'm eligible for relocation with my job at Walmart selling electronics, and I want to ask a few questions.. I plan to take a week long trip to either Hawaii or California and check some things out but I don't wanna go to say.. Hawaii and end up realizing I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Anyhow.. I plan to move wherever I go with my job and get a one bedroom apartment, and most likely attend a local community college and advance in life.

I HAVE heard that due to Hawaii being islands, it is rather expensive to purchase well.. anything. Is this true? I want to relocate out West for sure soon, but I'm unsure whether or not Hawaii is affordable. Thanks.
Hawaii is an expensive place to live? yes, almost 80% of goods are shipped from the mainland, so all those fees and extra costs are passed to the costumer, that's how you get all those outrageous prizes. Even If you shop ''smart'' everything is still more expensive than anywhere in the mainland.

As far as housing,you can do a lot of researching on Craigslist or the Honolulu Advertiser's website as guidance. On average a decent studio can go from 800 to 1,200 without utilities in Honolulu while a one bedroom apartment would be as much as $2,500 a month depending on the area.
Also understand that Most apartments in Hawaii aren't that spacious.
When searching on craigslist only look at the posts with pictures included, If it doesn't have a picture is most likely a ****hole.

Have also in consideration, depending on where you choose to live, you might need a car, If you live in Waikiki or downtown theres no need for one cause the bus works really well, but If you choose not to live in any of those areas you might need a car and having one just adds up another extra cost.

Those who make it successfully to Hawaii are those financially stable. If not you will have to make a lot of sacrifices to finally make ends meet and that is a reality.

Please read a lot and do a lot of research before you make any decision. good luck to you

Last edited by jennypal; 11-11-2011 at 01:35 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Well what i'm doing is.. I'm flying out to either Hawaii or California to check certain places out and determine where I want to move to. I've done my research, and in Hawaii, the living expenses are pretty close to the ones here. I'm just unsure where I want to go at this point. I'm sure that in Honolulu I'd enjoy the city environment and the weather for SURE, and according to you, make more money there.
You won't make much at all working in Honolulu at Wal-Mart.

Remember living in Honolulu will be kind of like living in Manhattan. But, you'll be making Wal-Mart wages.

Even if Hawaii was your dream, I'd be hesitant to encourage you. But since it's not, and either CA or HI is good for you, I'd strongly recommend California.

There are a ton of Wal-Mart locations all over California. Just avoid the expensive coastline areas, and work a bit inland. Try to establish in-state residency (takes one year), and you can get a huge break on one of the lowest tuition states in the USA - that of California.

Most likely you'll be struggling too much in Honolulu on Wal-Mart wages to get back to school. Hilo is more liveable on Wal-Mart wages, but there aren't many programs available compareable to the huge array of programs available across California once you get California residency.

Hawaii is great, but you really have to want to be there. As it's kind of coin toss for you, California just seems more logical and practical on every level, for your situation.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 11-11-2011 at 01:42 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 AM

52 posts, read 159,422 times
Visit first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii