Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 05:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
The only real option for someone with your finances and job skills in California would be Sacramento, where the rent is lower AND there are numerous move-in specials, where you don't have to put down more than about a month's rent for both deposit and first month. Sometimes even MOVE IN FOR $299 (after credit check).

It's got crappy hot summers and problems, but some people like it there. There's a lot of good to be said for Sacramento. Of course it's not fine weather like on the coast, but beggars can't be choosers ..... when you're rich you can move to a nicer climate.

You could stiff the landlord for the last month's rent, not pay student loans until after you resettle, sell the car to get a ticket and hotel money for a week.
I read that Sacramento is on a major flood plain...and the levees are quite old and need to be replaced.

Sounds like a disaster....potentially. Especially since California has so many budget problems already to pre-fix anything.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Stop paying the student loans. It won't wreck your credit for quite a while, at least a year, and by then you should have a better situation and can resume payments.

You know how to do a job search. The only thing I'd like to add is not to get stuck in using one type.
How long does it take for the student loan holder to start garnishing pay? It's risky to even suggest not paying them because they will, at some point, garnish 15% of your paycheck and that is embarassing and irrevokable. There is a type of bankruptcy that restructures your debt-I don't remember if it is chapter 11 or 13, but you make a monthly payment to a trustee who then spreads it out to your creditors. I did that.....I know employers check your credit but it hasn't stopped me from getting a job, and I work in accounting.

It is a lot harder to catch HIV than you think. You would have to have an open wound and mingle fluids with the afflicted. That would not happen in a service related job.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:21 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Yeah, every part of California has some sort of disaster waiting in the wings. Wildfires, floods, tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes, mudslides dumping houses into the ocean or burying them. Plus there's been an increase in the number of dumb fundies and of Republicans.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
How long does it take for the student loan holder to start garnishing pay? It's risky to even suggest not paying them because they will, at some point, garnish 15% of your paycheck and that is embarassing and irrevokable. There is a type of bankruptcy that restructures your debt-I don't remember if it is chapter 11 or 13, but you make a monthly payment to a trustee who then spreads it out to your creditors. I did that.....I know employers check your credit but it hasn't stopped me from getting a job, and I work in accounting.

It is a lot harder to catch HIV than you think. You would have to have an open wound and mingle fluids with the afflicted. That would not happen in a service related job.
I don't know how long, but probably years rather than months. They sell the debt to a bill collector first and he tries to juice you for quite a long time - it's expensive to take things to a federal court. Then once it's in court it takes a long time to work through.

I have a student loan debt from maybe 10 years ago, they gave up on me without even dinging my credit rating. It was a small amount.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:19 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times
Mod note: Well, since this thread has run it's course, and before anymore TOS violations crop up we'll put it to rest. Please use the DM feature to contact the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii