Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:47 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,568 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 and the military isn't an option. If it was I would have tried to do OCS for the Navy.

I can't easily move because I have to give 2 months notice, and then I can't pay a deposit.

The only thing I can do is keep trying to get part time work.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 AM

I'm not in the medical field. I do GIS... geographic info systems. There's a lot of companies that need GIS work done, work that I could easily do part time on the weekends, but they're stuck in the old fashioned mentality that they need the worker in the office.

I got a remote job with a surveying company on Oahu, converting survey data to GIS format, but I haven't gotten any work and it sounds like I won't. For one of their projects they were bidding on I told them they needed an analyst not a technician like me, so they hired both an analyst on the mainland, and me. Well they didn't even get that project, and now it sounds like they'll just use the analyst for the other work I could have done.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Wink, I feel bad for your situation.

Please stay on this forum, and every time someone talks about wanting to quit their job, pack up the family, and follow their dream to Hawaii, I hope that you give them a wake-up call and post about your experiences. I know it won't solve your problems, but maybe you can give someone else a dose of reality.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
AMEN! I hope you can work something out. Best wishes.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
all the people i have known that spent long time in hawaii came back with issues.
come home my friend come home. hawaii is a great place to visit.
but only the natives know really how to cope, long term, with that much beauty.
its kinda like living with a incredibly beautiful woman, it will make most of us crazy pdq.
be there next month maybe we can talk about it more then.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,620,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I'm not in the medical field. I do GIS... geographic info systems. There's a lot of companies that need GIS work done, work that I could easily do part time on the weekends, but they're stuck in the old fashioned mentality that they need the worker in the office.

I got a remote job with a surveying company on Oahu, converting survey data to GIS format, but I haven't gotten any work and it sounds like I won't. For one of their projects they were bidding on I told them they needed an analyst not a technician like me, so they hired both an analyst on the mainland, and me. Well they didn't even get that project, and now it sounds like they'll just use the analyst for the other work I could have done.
Contact civil engineering firms in Hawaii maybe, they usually need good GIS help. I had a friend who did contract work for a couple of firms in downtown Honolulu. It was kind of sporadic but it is better than nothing.

Otherwise, get on unemployment and EBT like the other 60% of the island is already and use that to scrape by until the economy turns around or you find a decent job somewhere else.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Contact civil engineering firms in Hawaii maybe, they usually need good GIS help. I had a friend who did contract work for a couple of firms in downtown Honolulu. It was kind of sporadic but it is better than nothing.

Otherwise, get on unemployment and EBT like the other 60% of the island is already and use that to scrape by until the economy turns around or you find a decent job somewhere else.
I'll try contacting some companies. I doubt they'll want anybody working remotely though.

I'm not unemployed, I have a job at Maui County

Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Have you made a budget? Putting things on paper might help you figure out where some more can be trimmed off. Can you take public transportation now and park your car? If the cost of running your vehicle is one of the things making it too expensive for you, then ditch the car somehow or change down to something like a moped or bicycle which have less maintenance and operating costs. It sounds like your car is one of the 20-25mpg type so every trip anywhere is gonna cost you. A bicycle with more exercise might be helpful for economic as well as health reasons? Although it's up to you to figure out what's best for you and I'm not a medical person at all so don't take my advice as valid for health purposes.

Are there homeopathic methods for dealing with your medical concerns? Doctors aren't the only answer to health. Usually you have to be pretty involved with it yourself for doctors to be all that effective anyway. Since you still have the internet, search around and see what the doctors would be prescribing for you if you were to pay them for treatment. As long as it's not a prescription drug therapy program or surgery, you may be able to do a lot to improve your condition without the help of the AMA.

The economy isn't likely to turn around soon enough to be of much help to you since you sound pretty close to the end of your rope. Whatever you are doing now isn't gonna work out so changes will have to be made. Can you make any changes in your life to where things will work out? Take in a room mate? Ride with someone else? Do some sort of alternate work? My neighbor was just telling me the house cleaner folk are now charging $25 an hour. Can you offer to wash windows or clean houses or mow lawns? Yard workers are apparently around $15 - $20 an hour. Seems like rather appalling rates for unskilled labor, but it might be available?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Have you made a budget? Putting things on paper might help you figure out where some more can be trimmed off. Can you take public transportation now and park your car? If the cost of running your vehicle is one of the things making it too expensive for you, then ditch the car somehow or change down to something like a moped or bicycle which have less maintenance and operating costs. It sounds like your car is one of the 20-25mpg type so every trip anywhere is gonna cost you. A bicycle with more exercise might be helpful for economic as well as health reasons? Although it's up to you to figure out what's best for you and I'm not a medical person at all so don't take my advice as valid for health purposes.

Are there homeopathic methods for dealing with your medical concerns? Doctors aren't the only answer to health. Usually you have to be pretty involved with it yourself for doctors to be all that effective anyway. Since you still have the internet, search around and see what the doctors would be prescribing for you if you were to pay them for treatment. As long as it's not a prescription drug therapy program or surgery, you may be able to do a lot to improve your condition without the help of the AMA.

The economy isn't likely to turn around soon enough to be of much help to you since you sound pretty close to the end of your rope. Whatever you are doing now isn't gonna work out so changes will have to be made. Can you make any changes in your life to where things will work out? Take in a room mate? Ride with someone else? Do some sort of alternate work? My neighbor was just telling me the house cleaner folk are now charging $25 an hour. Can you offer to wash windows or clean houses or mow lawns? Yard workers are apparently around $15 - $20 an hour. Seems like rather appalling rates for unskilled labor, but it might be available?
I spend about $100/mo commuting to work 10 miles. I get 16mpg. I was thinking about selling my Jeep and getting a tiny efficient car, but I could easily end up spending a lot fixing unforeseen problems with a car I don't know the maintenance history of.

The bus isn't an option from Kihei to Wailuku. It ends up taking 2 hours because of the transfer at the Queen Ka'ahumanu shopping center.

I don't waste any money. I have a prepaid phone that costs me $50 about every 6 months, $45 internet from Hawaiian Telcom, I don't use AC, no cable, etc.

The medical stuff is the toothache I need to get taken care of, got an appointment tomorrow. Our dental insurance isn't that great, so I really hope I don't end up paying a lot. I also got migraine medicine a few months back... I didn't expect it to cost $180. And I don't think I actually have migraines, just stress headaches. If my hernia gives me serious problems again, I won't be able to even get it fixed because I have no one to take care of me here, so I guess that won't be an expense.

I can't get a roommate, and don't have the space even if I could. I also can't afford to move and have to give 2 months notice. In order to pay the deposit on where I live now, I had to take all the money out of the retirement account from my previous job. My $850 rent is a really good deal anyway. It's less than the hovels I've looked at in Wailuku.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:08 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Can you catch rides to work? Make a lunch and take it to work instead of buying lunch? There are a whole slew of little things that can add up to a lot over the time span of a month.

We were having trouble with money at one point, but making a budget really helped. The other thing was putting the paychecks into an account that then transferred some over to the checking account and leaving some in savings. Oddly enough this seemed to have really helped get us out of the hole we were in. We would use up all the money in the checking account and sort of ignore the savings until or unless we really needed it. That let us gather up a little bit in savings each month. Try moving fifteen percent of your income off into savings and living off the rest. Even though there isn't enough somehow by thinking there's only a tiny bit left (ignoring the savings account) we were able to squeak by to the next paycheck. Not always, but often enough that the savings would mount up and we'd be able to use it to pay off a credit card or some other big payment.

Our mindset also changed. Instead of trying to figure out how to have enough money to buy this or that or do this or that, our mindset became how to pay down all the bills and things. It has now become a knee jerk reaction of - "is there any possible way to do this less expensively". Doesn't matter what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii