Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 05:41 PM

69 posts, read 203,873 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of questions about Kauai and Oahu.

1. Which island has more selections of natural/raw/organic/gluten-free foods?

2. I know Kauai is rural, but if you were to move to, say, the North Shore, how far is your nearest neighbor likely to be?

3. Question number 2 but for the North Shore of Oahu?

4. Which island has safer beaches (though obviously none truly are seeing as they're in the middle of the ocean...)?

5. How secluded are the beaches of Kauai's North Shore compared those of Oahu's North Shore? On an average day, how many people are likely to be on the same beach as you on Kauai? Oahu? Lots? A couple? None?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM

181 posts, read 585,939 times
1. Which island has more selections of natural/raw/organic/gluten-free foods?

Kauai has lots of Health Food Stores, but only about 65,000 people. Oahu has way over a million people so specialty foods are going to be a lot more available there.

2. I know Kauai is rural, but if you were to move to, say, the North Shore, how far is your nearest neighbor likely to be? In Hanalei houses are pretty close to one another. Outside of town, lots are often an acre or more.

3. Question number 2 but for the North Shore of Oahu? Land is expensive on the North Shore. The population is a lot more dense almost anywhere on Oahu.

4. Which island has safer beaches (though obviously none truly are seeing as they're in the middle of the ocean...)? Both islands have several beaches that have safe swimming conditions most of the year. There are reefs and natural protected bays to calm the waters.

5. How secluded are the beaches of Kauai's North Shore compared those of Oahu's North Shore? On an average day, how many people are likely to be on the same beach as you on Kauai? Oahu? Lots? A couple? None?

If you take the somewhat easy hike into Kalalau Valley on Kauai, you'll see very few people. Even the beaches you can drive to aren't that crowded on Kauai's North Shore.

During the winter when the surf contests are being held, the North Shore on Oahu is an absolute ZOO, but if there is no contest, the beaches are uncrowded. The rest of the year, there are so many beaches that you'll not see any crowds.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:04 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,996 times
cagary wrote: "somewhat easy hike into Kalalau Valley on Kauai"

The hike to Kalalau is a grueling 11-mile hike, only for the fittest backpackers. I have seen some locals in flip-flops hike it carrying a short board, but they already have an illegal camp in the valley. Regular hikers need permits and supplies. I have also seen towed-in surfers on the Kalalau Beach break, but I don't think it's worth that much trouble.

Surfer-Girl, it sounds like you're trying to choose between these two places. Is this for a vacation, safari, for moving, or ??? Kauai has lots of beaches and breaks, some deserted, some a bit more crowded, especially after work or on weekends. NS Oahu has better waves from what I understand (sorry, not a surfer myself). Safety seems like an odd question, as many breaks are not near lifeguards. Generally, I bet Kaua'i has even fewer guarded beaches than Oahu, but I don't know them all.

As for population density, where there is affordable rentals, it is denser. Kilauea has detached house neighborhoods, but dense (probably R-8, 8 houses per acre, not including "downstairs" rental units). Princeville has big expensive houses, but still R-4, but most of the rentals are condos/appartments (which are usually R-20 I think). Hanalei itself is probably R-6, but it's either astronomical vacation rentals or locals living there, very few other rentals. Beyond Hanalei to the end of the road is called Ha'ena, mostly beach houses, with a few side streets. Probably R-4 density, but again, very desireable and very few long-term rentals. Still you may get lucky, but it would help to know what you're planning and what your budget is.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Surfer-Girl, it sounds like you're trying to choose between these two places. Is this for a vacation, safari, for moving, or ???

Well, right now, for vacation (planning for next year). But I would love to live there someday. But a lot of it is just curiosity and dreaming...

Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer-Girl View Post
Well, right now, for vacation (planning for next year). But I would love to live there someday. But a lot of it is just curiosity and dreaming...
Why would you move to Hawaii? Your post in the link below suggests you will have issues with us locals. I was really turned off by your post. It looks like the mods removed your post, but not mine when I quoted you.

Check out post #68 The real issues

Last edited by kaimuki; 11-18-2011 at 06:17 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Why would you move to Hawaii? Your post in the link below suggests you will have issues with us locals. I was really turned off by your post. It looks like the mods removed your post, but not mine when I quoted you.

Check out post #68 The real issues
I never posted anything on that thread... I think the quote you were referring to is someone with the username of "Sirfer Gurl"? Mine is Surfer-Girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii