Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,065,061 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at Hawaii real estate... on a rare occasion I see houses that are liveable (from new to excellent condition) on 1-3 acres going for 200-300k

I live on 40 acres here in Redding Calfirnia that cost me about 275k to build from scratch.. small mobile , huge shop, large outbuilding.. all pristine.. Im about 10 minutes to the lake

I realize I cant replace what I have in Hawaii for under a million ..or two or three,,or more

My question is this... is 5 acres.. or more even available with a home under 300k anywhere in Hawaii.. or is this a pipe dream?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,883,505 times
On the Island of Hawaii you could probably do it but the house isn't likely to be new to excellent. You may also have more rocks than soil, too. Depends on what you wanted to do with it. Farming with a tractor probably wouldn't work but tree farming or pasture might. You'd probably have to build the shop and outbuildings, too.

There just isn't the same quantity of listings in the islands, finding one with a house, shop and outbuilding is going to be few and far between. It might be easier to find the acreage and then build what you want.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 PM

181 posts, read 583,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Ive been looking at Hawaii real estate... on a rare occasion I see houses that are liveable (from new to excellent condition) on 1-3 acres going for 200-300k

I live on 40 acres here in Redding Calfirnia that cost me about 275k to build from scratch.. small mobile , huge shop, large outbuilding.. all pristine.. Im about 10 minutes to the lake

I realize I cant replace what I have in Hawaii for under a million ..or two or three,,or more

My question is this... is 5 acres.. or more even available with a home under 300k anywhere in Hawaii.. or is this a pipe dream?

Thank you
We just got 8 acres with deep soil just north of Hilo less than a mile to the water with a nice view of the ocean for 200K. The stream along the property will easily provide the electricity to power the home.

Similar places are available for around 200K or less. If you had another 100K, you could build yourself a pretty nice home. So there you go. Good farmland and a home for around 300K.

The Big Island only the only place with this kind of price.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Default Here's one, click on it.

Big Island of Hawaii Real Estate Property Specs

Old 11-23-2011, 07:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,797,488 times
Here are some 10+ acre places for sale under $200,000.

Big Island of Hawaii Real Estate MLS Property Search | Clark Realty Corporation

Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM

Just remember that NORTH of Hilo you have deep rich soil for farming and SOUTH of Hilo (Puna) you have lots of areas that have a lava base with little if any soil.

From a distance (or in a photo) in a place like Puna, you may see a forest on the land, but when you actually walk on the ground or try to put a shovel into it, you'll discover rock hard lava that has to be dug out with heavy machinery and top soil added before you can think of any kind of farming.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:35 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,883,505 times
Trees look above ground like they do below ground so if you see skinny vertical trees you can figure they are growing in cracks in the lava. Some wide spreading trees have surface roots, though, so the spread of the crown isn't always an indication of soil. Basically, take a shovel with you when you go looking for property and dig. If you can get deeper than several inches and still be digging dirt then it should be good.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:52 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,065,061 times
All excellent info Islanders.. many thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 02:53 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,206,637 times
Alot of what adds expense in any area is access to infrastructure (power, gas, stores, jobs, etc). You can go to Alaska and get land off a paved road but not near any other infrastructure for dirt cheap and you dont even have to pay taxes on it because they want people to develop. The only thing you have to watch out for is right of way issues from other peoples land but you can negotiate this with the state gov to force other land owners to yield for the sake of development but you have to make sure to do your homework.

Im sure its similar in Hawaii.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,992,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Alot of what adds expense in any area is access to infrastructure (power, gas, stores, jobs, etc). You can go to Alaska and get land off a paved road but not near any other infrastructure for dirt cheap and you dont even have to pay taxes on it because they want people to develop. The only thing you have to watch out for is right of way issues from other peoples land but you can negotiate this with the state gov to force other land owners to yield for the sake of development but you have to make sure to do your homework.

Im sure its similar in Hawaii.
I can't think of two more opposite places when it comes to land issues of that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: