Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times

Advertisements

Not to be rude but it was put as simple as possible what is not to understand. In Hawaii many employers not only state, city and county require a hawaii state DL. Why because they can! If this is a big issue to you just a simple change of dl. then my friend you better wake up before you make the move because alot of things here are done differently than anyplace else. And a big no no is questioning how things are done here as compared to where ever you came from and you have already started doing that just over a 10 minute process of changing your drivers license. Good luck in your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Basically, you have two choices: either you get a Hawaii driver's license or you don't.

If you get a Hawaii driver's license, then you will have to surrender your CA driver's license. End of that story. Then when you move from Hawaii to some other state (may not even be CA by then, you'll have to change again).

If you feel, after reading all these very informative posts, that you personally don't want to get a Hawaii driver's license, then don't. Keep your CA driver's license until such time that you find that, for one reason or another, you feel that you want a driver's license for the state that you are living in. People on this forum were just trying to give you a number of reasons why you MAY want to consider switching.

BTW, kama'aina discounts can be had EVERYWHERE, not just at hotels and restaurants. Usually I just ask and usually they don't want to see an id. But sometimes they do.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
My last comment on this - if you were to lose your CA license while living in Hawaii, think about the total pain that will be to get a duplicate.....

Old 12-01-2011, 11:48 PM

217 posts, read 431,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
Not to be rude but it was put as simple as possible what is not to understand. In Hawaii many employers not only state, city and county require a hawaii state DL. Why because they can! If this is a big issue to you just a simple change of dl. then my friend you better wake up before you make the move because alot of things here are done differently than anyplace else. And a big no no is questioning how things are done here as compared to where ever you came from and you have already started doing that just over a 10 minute process of changing your drivers license. Good luck in your move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo31958 View Post
I wanted to get into specifics since many people misuse the terms ID, a driver's license, a license, certification, etc. I have no idea specifically what you are trying to say. You kept saying a license for my job. I don't know if you are mean a license for the actual job (meaning if I'm a plumber in Hawaii that I needed a license showing I took tests and courses in becoming a plumber), or merely saying that I would be required to have a driver's license for the job. Do you get what I am saying? I just don't understand why one would need a driver's license (in any case no matter where you live in the the country) for a job unless your job involves driving on the job.

My employer mailed me all the documents I need to sign and there is no mention whatsoever of needing to have a Hawaiian driver's license or ANY driver's license for the position. If I never even had a driver's license I would lose my job because I didn't drive? They just asked for an ID meaning an ID from ANY state or a passport.

It seems like you are done with me at this point, but I wish I knew what government jobs you are talking about that would actually not only require someone to have a driver's license, but an actual Hawaiian DL.

I'm merely questioning because I don't want to face surprises since I plan on keeping my license. I think it is silly to not ask questions, but that's just me.

Basically are you saying that
A. a driver's license is needed for a job in Hawaii
B. identification is needed for a job in Hawaii

Thank you for trying to help.

Nevermind. I'm even more lost. I thought you were Pacific Flights. Or maybe you are PF and you just have 2 names on here.

Last edited by MMoon17; 12-02-2011 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Basically, you have two choices: either you get a Hawaii driver's license or you don't.

If you get a Hawaii driver's license, then you will have to surrender your CA driver's license. End of that story. Then when you move from Hawaii to some other state (may not even be CA by then, you'll have to change again).

If you feel, after reading all these very informative posts, that you personally don't want to get a Hawaii driver's license, then don't. Keep your CA driver's license until such time that you find that, for one reason or another, you feel that you want a driver's license for the state that you are living in. People on this forum were just trying to give you a number of reasons why you MAY want to consider switching.

BTW, kama'aina discounts can be had EVERYWHERE, not just at hotels and restaurants. Usually I just ask and usually they don't want to see an id. But sometimes they do.
Thank you. If I knew that I was going to be in Hawaii for a few years or more I definitely would do it. I just know down the road I will end up back in CA when I can get a transfer in. Again just did this to appease my mother who insists (regardless of documents found online) that one does need a Hawaiian driver's license.

Yeah I know you can get it on activities, liquor type of stores, and many services. Can you use the rates for interisland flights?

The easiest thing for me really is to just hold on to my CA DL but grab a Hawaiian ID for discounts and such.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
My last comment on this - if you were to lose your CA license while living in Hawaii, think about the total pain that will be to get a duplicate.....
Believe it not, that's happened to me on vacation! My mother taught me to always have a paper copy of things to leave in my purse, car, and cabinet at home (xerox of social security card, driver's license, and passport). I had it notarized and I was good until I eventually had to fill out papers in person and get a new one.

I'm not trying to seem difficult. I'm really just a meticulous person who likes to make sure that my t's are crossed and my i's are dotted. I'm very, very type A.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:50 AM

41 posts, read 145,000 times
I work for the State of Hawaii and have lived here for over 5 years. I have never gotten a Hawaii driver's license & still use my out of state license. I have never gotten around to getting a Hawaii license because my out of state license does not expire for many years, my work hours make it very difficult for me to get in to get a Hawaii license, and my employer, The State, only requires that I have a valid driver's license, it does not have to be a Hawaii license.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 AM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
No one has said that you had to have a Hawaii DRIVERS license. All that was said was that most employers require a valid Hawaii drivers license maybe not all but most.. The reason for this seems to be (from reading on the forums) and actually living here is that MOST employers want to hire employes who are already established here, if an applicant goes in fills out application and the employer want to see a drivers license for ID and its from another state then they assume that you just got here and chances are you wont be around long enough to make it worth the time to train you etc.. On the other hand if you go into a job interview with Hawaii drivers license, local address, local phone number etc... you look like you are established and will be here for awhile. Many employers have hired employees from the mainland who have got here and didnt stay for what ever reason and the employer has to rehire and retrain a new employee. Which is another reason it is hard to get a job here if you are not already here. Those that do are very lucky. But, I guess thats another topic. No one is trying to be a smart a** with you about the DRIVERS license, but like everyone has said MOST employers will require a HAWAII DRIVERS license. I think all that we have said is that if you dont look like you are here to stay chances are MOST employers will not consider you. Once again good luck, and get the Hawaii DRIVERS license in the long run you'll be glad you did.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfoxx View Post
I work for the State of Hawaii and have lived here for over 5 years. I have never gotten a Hawaii driver's license & still use my out of state license. I have never gotten around to getting a Hawaii license because my out of state license does not expire for many years, my work hours make it very difficult for me to get in to get a Hawaii license, and my employer, The State, only requires that I have a valid driver's license, it does not have to be a Hawaii license.

Thank you for sharing this!

Tim-
I didn't think anyone was trying to be a smart***.... I just asked a specific question. It's like someone saying "He took the ball" and me asking who did? and someone not knowing how to tell me the person's name other than asying he... That's all I was trying know was specifically what you were trying to say since there is a difference between a DL and an ID.

In any case, I had a phone interview and they knew in advance that I am from out of state by my phone number, address on the application, and notification from the screening interviewer so there was no mention of needing a Hawaii driver's license. I have never heard of any place saying "You must have a Hawaiian DL in order to get this job" unless you have a drive that requires driving as a job duty. It wasn't me trying to be a "mainlander judging you", it just was news to me from anyone of what you said after I have searched a lot of posts on this board, spoke to HR, and had a couple contacts who would have stated that I would have to have had a Hawaiian DL in order to accept a job. It also seems silly that for non driving jobs that you would need to have a driver's license regardless because what if you don't even drive?!

Anyway I'm done with the discussion on this since you explained it. Again I didn't think my question to ask you to be specific was out of line, but I have no problems with people who ask for clarification since it is something I do on the job anyway.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Coupla things I'd add...

If you keep your California license, you are legally required to file a change of address within 10 days.

If you do keep your California license, the assumption is that you are still a legal resident of the state, and they can and likely will assume you are still liable for California income tax. (Voice of experience here). You think dealing with the DMV is a hassle? It's nothing compared to dealing with tax issues.

The Kama'aina discount is not to be sneezed at if you will be here long time. Hotels and car rentals, for instance, can be half or less of the tourist rate. I once stayed in a $500 Hilton suite for $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii