U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM

69 posts, read 94,474 times
Listen,

You seem like an ok guy so I will give you some advice. Don't be surprised if no one responds to this post. You are coming off wrong and I believe you don't know it. On the hawaii board many people on here are well informed but will not take you seriously if you don't post with many facts. Please read some of the threads on here for a while. Then repost a question....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 11:11 AM

69 posts, read 94,474 times
Also, since you are coming from the northwest you will spend about 3500 on just a palette to get to hawaii, and I had to reason with my agent to get that price. 2500 is not very doable and look to spend about 1,000 for your dog if you don't have it's blood work and rabid shots up to date

Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 PM

850 posts, read 2,627,476 times
Come over and rent for a few months before you make a final decision. you can get a cheap rental in Puna, then decide if you want to stay here, or move elsewhere on the island. This will give you time to decide if you like the rural island lifestyle and to learn about things- like pineapple doesn't grow on trees...

Old 12-04-2011, 03:57 PM

271 posts, read 242,887 times
Default New arrivals and medical-long term care especially when older

I suggest that those moving, have a good LONG term care insurance policy for those often coming , as older folks, sometime younger too. NO different than the mainland as to need. With no family in Hawaii, even with, you need a means to be taken care of even at your home versus a facility. Costs are high for that everywhere and Hawaii even more. No one can predict a stroke, or other condition and then what? EWA has lower cost housing to qualify for then, but, no guarantee. You still need care! This is not medical insurance, it is LONG TERM CARE. Educate yourself and be prepared. If you have savings, it will vanish quick. Cannot work with a stroke/heart condition and then what? Read up and be ready, it is no surprise that we all age. You can't grow veggies flat on your back. Or surf or anything else. Hawaii is Hawaii, not Fantasy island.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Status: "Catchment water - would you drink it?" (set 20 hours ago)

4,847 posts, read 3,816,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers Creepers View Post
I suggest that those moving, have a good LONG term care insurance policy for those often coming , as older folks, sometime younger too. NO different than the mainland as to need. With no family in Hawaii, even with, you need a means to be taken care of even at your home versus a facility. Costs are high for that everywhere and Hawaii even more. No one can predict a stroke, or other condition and then what? EWA has lower cost housing to qualify for then, but, no guarantee. You still need care! This is not medical insurance, it is LONG TERM CARE. Educate yourself and be prepared. If you have savings, it will vanish quick. Cannot work with a stroke/heart condition and then what? Read up and be ready, it is no surprise that we all age. You can't grow veggies flat on your back. Or surf or anything else. Hawaii is Hawaii, not Fantasy island.
Huh???? what does this have to do with the topic in this thread?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM

5,631 posts, read 8,982,779 times
Well, the Puna area has a lot of folks trying to be sustainable and grow food. Up on the Hamakua coast, they are more trying to grow food as a commercial endeavor although in a sustainable manner as well. Over around the Volcano area are also a bunch of folks trying different routes to sustainability. Here's a forum for the Volcano folks: Sensible Simplicity Forum: Discussing Sustainability

Perhaps you could try WWOOFing for a few weeks or months to get an idea of what the different areas are on the island. Having some sort of income from off your homestead is almost a necessity since you gotta pay the tax man with something other than those pineapples growing on trees. (Must be an interesting new type of pineapple.)

Otherwise, there are already a lot of folks doing what you are thinking of on this island. There are quite a few folks who are trying to be self sufficient however most of them have found out you need a whole community to get close to being self sufficient.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:04 PM

10 posts, read 10,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
It sounds like the B.I. would be where you can find (sort of) what you are looking for. At least as far as cheap land and the ability to throw up a cheap place to live off the grid. But you have to be really careful about what you're getting with the "cheap" land.

Please spend some time reading other threads on this forum. There have been recent discussions from people looking to do the same thing as you, with some very informative answers from people who live on the B.I. Being sustainable takes a lot of work, and is not easy just because it's Hawaii.
I do! Thank you. I read all I can. I would appreciate any specific advice, or if you could point me to some helpful links or particular articles. Thank you!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Come over and rent for a few months before you make a final decision. you can get a cheap rental in Puna, then decide if you want to stay here, or move elsewhere on the island. This will give you time to decide if you like the rural island lifestyle and to learn about things- like pineapple doesn't grow on trees...
That pineapple thing killed me! lol
I so WISH!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, the Puna area has a lot of folks trying to be sustainable and grow food. Up on the Hamakua coast, they are more trying to grow food as a commercial endeavor although in a sustainable manner as well. Over around the Volcano area are also a bunch of folks trying different routes to sustainability. Here's a forum for the Volcano folks: Sensible Simplicity Forum: Discussing Sustainability

Perhaps you could try WWOOFing for a few weeks or months to get an idea of what the different areas are on the island. Having some sort of income from off your homestead is almost a necessity since you gotta pay the tax man with something other than those pineapples growing on trees. (Must be an interesting new type of pineapple.)

Otherwise, there are already a lot of folks doing what you are thinking of on this island. There are quite a few folks who are trying to be self sufficient however most of them have found out you need a whole community to get close to being self sufficient.
Awesome post! Thank you.

WWOOFing? Is that like house sitting? I am VERY interested, and have already started inquiring about it. I have a friend who has a brother that lives in Ocean View and they have some friends in Puna, so... we'll see!

I want a pineapple tree! Yes indeed! Imagine my shock to learn how much fruit a pineapple bush does not produce! I could also buy a small rental property here to keep the cash flow coming. I have options. I just want as much information as possible so that I can limit my search when I actually do come visit. Maybe as soon as March, but I am ready to go now! BRRRR!

How are those people doing being self-sufficient? I (think I) love the idea of a commune; each unit working towards a common goal.

Thank you for your post.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM

Also, how about watch catchment (Problems, etc) and solar power (at night?!? The batteries work well enough? Cost effective?) work out there for people?

Thank you for the information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii