Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
So like I said, be aware that it is there... particularly if you are in a situation that becomes confrontational. Being "humble" and "respecting the culture" mean that you shouldn't be loud, arrogant, rude, boastful, or speak up about things you don't understand. But, being "humble" and "respecting the culture" in a lot of ways also means "keep your mouth shut if you are not from here and we don't know you". This is the major reason why I think young males have the most issues out there, they are the most likely to end up in or around these types of situations.

Once again, don't walk around afraid, 99% of the time you will have zero issues if you are friendly, smile, and are respectful to people. Just be aware of your surroundings, peoples posture, peoples tone, and when confrontations arise... the underlying tensions may come out.
/thread

This is pretty much exactly how it goes.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:47 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Just turn around and tell them that you love them!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:14 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
I just happened to run across an older thread where this got discussed (there are so many, aren't there?):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...fun-kauai.html

In less than a page, they were discussing "locals" instead of activities, even after the OP admitted he didn't mean "locals" but residents. Anyway, on the second page, I liked this comment by zoa:

"I want to add here (now that I'm all steamed about it) that ONLY mainland people make such a big deal about being local or not. You will never hear people born & raised here making such an issue unless it is in response to a mainland person being utterly stupid over something (like comparing how such and such is better back in their home town, or how the prices of everything here is way too much and why are the LOCALS price gouging - that one really starts an argument). Of all the forums and online communities I belong to that are Hawaii-centric... it is ONLY the malihinis that make such a stink."

Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
I am a white transplant from Colorado, living in a rural community on the Big Island. I am part of a hula school, made up mostly of other white transplants. We danced last night at the Christmas party for the Hawaiian Civic Club. Overheard comment from one of the members: "boy, those haoles sure can dance hula". I took it as a compliment!

Old 12-17-2011, 07:51 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
I feel like I use the term local to distinguish b/t someone who lives in Hawaii (whatever race) and a tourist...probably because I work at a hotel and in a high touristy area. Sometimes I use the phrase local to describe an actual born and bred but mostly just to say that someone is not a tourist.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM

14 posts, read 26,359 times
Depends on how the person says it. I live in Ca now and I am lucky to have found a community of Hawaiians and Tutu when she sees me and my family yells how howzit my Haole friends! I love her for it reminds me of home. Of course everyone turns to see who she is yelling at, but she means it in a good way. When someone says it being mean I figure they do not know me I am a white girl but I got Mana and they do not. Can not wait to move back in a month or two I currently live in Hell! The islands are calling....

Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM

217 posts, read 431,261 times
I've always wondered this. If you played stupid when someone calls you that and say "What's that?", what is the reaction of the person? A punch in the face, a look of WTF, them actually telling you, etc?

Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
I've always wondered this. If you played stupid when someone calls you that and say "What's that?", what is the reaction of the person? A punch in the face, a look of WTF, them actually telling you, etc?
It probably depends upon the situation and the matter in which one says "What's that?"

One could always throw simply someone for a loop and often elicit a laugh as well by saying, "I not haole, I Portagee."

Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Would the person in this song be a Haole?

GL2

The last farewell ( with lyrics ) - Roger Whittaker - YouTube

Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
I think unless you are dressed and act like an obvious tourist they would think you were just an idiot for a What's that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii