Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times

Advertisements

I'm in Oahu on a vog day, around lunch today it started raining - and I said to my co-worker, that can't be good - and she said, "yeah - it is acid rain with the vog". I've always had garage parking for work and that recently changed - question is - for those of you in vog areas, like Kona - is it impacting the paint on your car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 03:58 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
No.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,316 times
Click this map to be taken to an EPA web site through which you can find out about acid rain in the USA on a region by region basis:

[source: http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/where/]

Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Interesting question, White Viper. In the five years of active vog emissions, the impact on car's paint has never been mentioned. We haven't noticed any changes on our cars, which are already being assaulted by the moisture from the salt water.

Living downwind from the volcano, we do see a lot of fine dark particles on the outside of the house and inside around open windows.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Ok, good to know it doesn't seem to be impacting car paint. The buzz in the office was getting cars to the car wash ASAP with the combo of rain and vog which is pretty rare.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Ever since this stuff came out a few years ago it's been the only wax I use. It's not really a wax, but kind of a paint sealant, it's incredible stuff that blows all other waxes away, although it's rather pricey. Been using it on my black Mercedes for a long time and only need to apply it once every 6months, and that's being OCD. Apparently it helps protect against acid rain.

I buy it online from Amazon typically. When I get back in HNL I plan on using it every 3 months, just a thin coat, because of the intensity of the sun. My dad uses it on his cars as well in the desert SW and they still look brand new even in those extreme conditions.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Yes, the SO2 in volcanic emissions does combine with natural haze to form vog, and yes when it rains that forms a mild sulfuric acid solution.

Modern car finishes are pretty much able to deal with it. The real issue is with exposed metal parts. Over time you can see metal pitting and loss of bright finishes if left unwashed.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:30 AM

337 posts, read 613,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ok, good to know it doesn't seem to be impacting car paint. The buzz in the office was getting cars to the car wash ASAP with the combo of rain and vog which is pretty rare.
Car wash is probly overkill, rinse off with water and hand wipe the car down. The problem with acid rain isn't that its stripping your paint immediately, since its heavily diluted with all the water. Its when you leave the beaded water on your car as the sun shines on it all day after the rain. Once the water starts drying up, and what's left on your paint is droplets of highly concentrated sulfuric acid is when it starts pitting. The damage starts looking like waterspots that can't get buffed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: