Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 13,389 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My Partner, Young Son and I are planning to come over to Hawaii for a few months and hopefully move over should we be fortunate enough to. After trawling the internet, I am still non the wiser where to start looking for a place to rent. Are there good and not so good areas in Honolulu or are they more or less the same ?

Also would it be easy to get my son into schooling for the few months we would be over ?

Any information would be great
Thanks

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 04:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
Are you US citizens - if not, I'd start with a immigration/visa attorney.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:10 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
There are no homogenized areas in Honolulu. You could find a really nice rental directly adjacent to somewhere you'd never want to live. So, you can't just rent in an area and figure you'll get a good one. Nor will the pictures provided by a rental agent show you what the neighborhood looks like. There are so many variables that it is impossible to pick a good rental without seeing it in person. Most folks rent a vacation rental for several weeks while looking for a rental or get a hotel room for that amount of time.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Are you US citizens - if not, I'd start with a immigration/visa attorney.
Hi,

No we are UK citizens but having looked on the UKCIS websites etc it is a little confusing. From what we can gather, we can (as UK Citizens) come over for 90 days without a visa ? Does this sound right ? Also would it be possible to work within this time without a visa ?

Any info would be greatfully received

Old 01-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There are no homogenized areas in Honolulu. You could find a really nice rental directly adjacent to somewhere you'd never want to live. So, you can't just rent in an area and figure you'll get a good one. Nor will the pictures provided by a rental agent show you what the neighborhood looks like. There are so many variables that it is impossible to pick a good rental without seeing it in person. Most folks rent a vacation rental for several weeks while looking for a rental or get a hotel room for that amount of time.
Hi,

I've looked on Craigslist website but like you say, you don't always get a true picture of places.

I think we have decided to find a hotel for the intrim and then look from there

Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,404,606 times
I don't think putting your young son in a Hawaii public school for 3 months is a good idea. It's hard enough for mainlander white kids, much less a British kid. What's more, the education level in America is probably a year behind the UK.

Would you put your kid in school for 3 months in a working class rural town in the Republic of Ireland?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:59 PM

I just thought it would be good to keep him up to date with his schooling but you mention it's difficult enough for mainland kids - is there issues with fitting in over there ?

Thanks for your reply

Old 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,605,098 times
1. Unless you are traveling on a visa and have employment privilages in the USA, you can not work at all. Attempting to get emplyment while on a non emplyment visa or under VWP will get you deported.

2. You child will need a visa that grants privilages to attend school or other education programs otherwise they are prohibited to attend school. Under VWP they absolutley can not attend school.

To find out if you are eligable for VWP, you can prequalify yourself for ESTA at this link:
Visa Wizard | Embassy of the United States London, UK

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM

Hi,

We are eligible under the VWP but can we not get a Temporary Work Visa to enable us to work even part time do you know ?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,605,098 times
Not under VWP. The whole purpose of VWP is that you are strictly here as a tourist or a business traveler or transient and will not be engaging in any activity what so ever that may be covered under any other visa. In order to work in the USA, you will need the appropriate visa. VWP is a no visa exemption program so you technically have no visa at all, so you can not under any circumstances seek or accept emplyment. Thats why VWP violators are immdedietely deported, no hearing, no trial, no arguing, no passing Go, no collecting $200 - right on the next flight out you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: